DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed an aFe Stage 2 on my R/T tonight and I really like it! I paid $276 for it, it fits great, took about an hour to install, and it sounds great at WOT. One thing to note, on the hose to the crank case, a clamp wasn't included so I added my own, you can see it in my pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm running the same one, and I think it is well made and works fine, I clamped the hose onto the intake tube with a small hose clamp, just to make sure it stays put

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A few notes I'd like to add...I heard a rattling noise when I first started it up, but it was gone after 10 seconds and I've never heard it again. Also, a rubber sealant was included to seal the heat shield and the bottom of the OEM airbox. I did not install it for two reasons. 1, the filter is out in the open, what difference does it make if I seal it? 2, the heat shield was a bit difficult to snap on and the sealant would make it even more difficult.

I drove my truck around a lil and did some hard acceleration and I am in love with the engine noise! I dunno if it added any power to my truck though, but I think it did :) I'll be checking my EVIC for any MPG gains.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Ramrt,
I'm not sure what heat seal your talking about, are you refering to the rubber edge strip?
If so, it's purpose is not as a seal, it is used to put a finishing edge on the sharp top edges of the open air box.. Just makes a nice finished look and feel to the box, I would suggest installing it, pretty easy only tricky part is where it bends around the two corners, a little tap with a plastic or rubber hammer helps.. As to any rattles, shouldn't be any... Just check all around your install, and in your air box, any tools, or pieces, parts ????? Perhaps something dropped and is hidden under your filter???? I added a pre filter bag over my filter and a throttle body spacer also...I lost about 3 mpg overall, but it runs good and sounds good

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, that's what I was talking about, I just couldn't come up with a better name for it. Mine sealed really nicely though without it, and its already a snug fit.

Now when I think of it, I may have dropped a little piece of metal when I cut a little piece of the extra hose clamp I put. It probably vibrated against something before falling down, creating that temporary rattling noise.

Losing 3 MPG would put me at 13.5 and I sure hope that doesn't happen and I don't think it will. I'm quite sure I'll get at least 1 MPG more!

·
Registered
816 Posts
^^^ I would agree that a 3 mpg loss would have me ripping that thing off in a hurry.

It looks good, and apparently sounds even better. Nice install!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Should I wait till my motor is broken in (only around 500 miles on her now) before I install mine. I read on here somewhere the motors are already running lean from the factory and adding the intake will only lean it out more. Shouldn't the computer notice I"m getting more air and richen the fuel up a little. Are should I just wait till the diablo becomes available?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Not positive exactly what caused my reduction in fuel milage, the CAI, the throttle body spacer, the pre-filter bag, cooler thermostat, or any other mods, like a 2" lift etc... Anyway, I bought a big 4X4 Truck, not a Prius, so gas milage is not my primary concern....
I believe that rubber strip is not primarily for the purpose of sealing, it's more cosmetic, and so no one gets scratched or cut on the edges of the air box, it gives it a nice finished look, IHO

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.