DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got done (well 95%) with installing my new Cobra 29LX CB Radio into the dash. This was not an easy install, but I think it looks really good. I say I am 95% done because I need to pull it out about 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch further out of the dash, but I ran out of time. I'll probably have to wait until next weekend to finish it up. I also installed the anteana to the forward side of my tool box, between it and the cab. I also used a fold down adapter to lay the antenna down along the front side of the tool box when not in use. This effectly hides it completley out of view.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nice clean install! Ive been planning on getting one eventually, do you have any details on the install process?

·
Registered
208 Posts
WOW!

Beautiful install, I love the fold down antenna!!

I am a big wireless guy and cant wait to take delevery of my truck so I can start finding a spot to stick a CB.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I like the antenna idea. This would work well for an HF HAM antenna, I may see if I can adapt that idea.. Thanks...:smileup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.

CTYHNTR, the install process on this one was a pretty big deal, and certainly not for the faint of heart. It requires cutting several different pieces. Obvioulsy I cut the dash cover. I took the face plate off the CB, then used masking tape on the dash to outline the area I was going to cut. Then of course that required that I didn't have any buttons in that area. If I had the leather seats with the heat buttons there, then I couldn;'t have done it. I then used a dremel cutting wheel, grinder, and sandpaper to make the hole. Then I had to cut the area in the dash that the CB sits in. Once you cut it, there's no going back. Then I used some aluminum to make a new bracket to hold the CB, and drilled some holes to connect to to both the CB and the side walls of the internal dash. It actually sits on a portion of the lower internal dash and on the mounting brack, so its pretty secure.

Then what you can really see too well, is that I pulled the internal speaker out of the CB and connected it to the back of the plastic area right below my dash. I even drilled some speaker holes so you can heard the speaker properly. Not so sure how this would work on trucks with a center shifter.

All in all, I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
WOW, that took some nerve, I would love to do that to mine but I don't have the balls to go for that type of fit. Looks great!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Nice work!
I've been thinking about that location, mine is on the side of the center console. I mounted my speaker above the seat belt in the B pillar cover. My K40 antenna is in the center of the roof.
Now to start cutting the dash after the gym tomorrow, if I can keep the wife out of the shop.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tell you, cutting that dash was a scary thought, but in the end I think it worked out really well. I took the faceplate off the CB, then used it to mark out my guide on the dash plate. I put masking tape on the dash first to draw the outline and to help keep from accidental scratches. I would put a couple layers on the areas not to be cut. I accidentally slipped with the dremel a couple times and the tape saved me. Once spot wasn't so lucking and I caused a small little gouge. Its at the very bottom under the cutout for the CB, so its not noticeable. Had I used and extra layer of protective tape, it would have been spared.

·
Registered
248 Posts
What type of antenna is that and where /how did you route the antenna cable. Is the pivot part of the antenna an extra or is it part of the antenna? Looks awsome BTW!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
nice clean install in/out.......:smileup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hate to do this because it looks very nice but, what kind of SWR's do you have with the antenna that close to the cab? Most of the time when it is that close you get a lot of reflect which makes it have a high SWR. High SWR and CB's don't mix. The first thing that will go bad is your final in the radio which cost around $60-$75 depending on what shop you get to replace it. Once again, not trying to rain on your parade but I work on CB's for a living and that's the first thing that I saw when I looked at your pics. Just trying to help....

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts

the speaker from inside the cb, is not any where as good sounding as an external speaker
my cb guy removed the external speaker from the box that they are mounted in & mounted it at the very back end of the overhead console, you have to look real hard to even see the indented material

·
Registered
896 Posts
looks great man. I love my LX, especially with the changing colors and the weather alert. I have been thinking bout installing mine in the cubby area on mine, but I use that too much. Never know though, I may just say screw it one day and go for it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts