DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was able to change the tranny shift points to 5900 I have a full tank of 91 octane and also put in a bottle of octane booster. I selected the perf 87 tune and I gotta say....

I DIDN'T NOTICE ANY DIFFERENCE IN POWER AT ALL!
Only change was if shifted at 5900 instead of the stock 5500?
Also did throttle boost to 12% or whatever it says on the trinity and didn't notice any difference there either.

If this is what tuning is all about I think I just waisted $599 and this black plastic tuner POS is going in the trash.

·
8,089 Posts
Number one, don't use octane boost. Ever! Octane boost dries out and eats rubber o-rings and seals. You will wreck your fuel system in no time.

Number two, it generally takes a few days (depending on how much you drive) for the tune to set in. It takes time for the computer to learn it and settle into the the truck. Drive it around for a while and see how it feels then.

Also, if you are running 91 octane plus the booster why did you only put it on the 87 tune? :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh ok didn't know it was bad, I've never used it in anything before. I installed the 87 tune because I've read that guys have better luck when the gas in their tank is higher octane than the tune.

I didn't not know it takes a bit for the truck to learn it though! I thought once its installed its done doing what it's there to do.

I installed the original tune and took it out.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
yeah these newer trucks, most report that after a few days it learns the "new tune" and becomes fun to drive!

ya what you set up didn't really make sense. Put it on a performance tune and run the appropriate gas.

take a deep breath, go back and try again before you get frustrated with it.

·
8,089 Posts
Yup, what gonefishin776 said ^^

Install the tuner again with the 91 tune and give it a couple days to settle in. Then see how it feels and what the truck does. You also have to remember it will break in gradually.... you aren't going to see a huge jump all of the sudden. But once it is installed and working properly going back to stock is terrible. That's where you do notice it jump down.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
No need for more explanations than what Brandon and Gonefishin have said, but like when you bought the truck new, it learns your way of driving and sets itself accordingly, now that the new configuration is in, it resets all that info and its got to learn how you drive again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I appreciate the advice everybody, it makes sense now. Gotta say though Sean from hemi fever has helped ALOT broke it down Barney style for me to understand, that guy is great. And you guys rock too I'd be lost without you so thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more question after I turn the truck off take the key out the tuner stays on. Is there a way to correct that or do I have to plug it in and unplug it every time I drive?

·
8,089 Posts
I'm not totally familiar with how the Trinity works. I believe there's a setting for a timer that will turn it off 1 minute after the truck shuts off. Maybe look through the settings and see what you can find. Otherwise I'm sure the instructions should tell you.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
The Ram has a 15 min run or something alone those lines when you turn off the truck, this will keep running till a door is opened, its so you can put up your windows, etc after you pulled the key, till you open one door, power is supplied to the accessories during that time period, might be 5 min also. Can't remember, anyways, that being said, once you get out of the truck it should shut off, OBDII power will be cut after that point and the trinity should shut off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update! Sean @Hemi Fever worked with me most of the day got everything updated and figured out, got his tune in the truck and went for a drive! If this takes a couple days to full potential I'm EXCITED! Cuz right after his tune went in on my 10 mile spree of waisting gas my Faith in tuning is restored! It made a very noticeable difference in power and his tranny tune did a lot too, it's no longer a slug when it hits 2nd and 3rd gear.

Now I'm happy!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Update! Sean @Hemi Fever worked with me most of the day got everything updated and figured out, got his tune in the truck and went for a drive! If this takes a couple days to full potential I'm EXCITED! Cuz right after his tune went in on my 10 mile spree of waisting gas my Faith in tuning is restored! It made a very noticeable difference in power and his tranny tune did a lot too, it's no longer a slug when it hits 2nd and 3rd gear.

Now I'm happy!
Thanks for the feedback.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
938 Posts
One more question after I turn the truck off take the key out the tuner stays on. Is there a way to correct that or do I have to plug it in and unplug it every time I drive?
I didn't have to adjust anything on mine. It just shuts itself off after a minute or two. As far as feeling a HUGE difference in power, it's not gonna happen. We're talkin' 30-ish extra ponies. At best. You should be able to notice a difference in power and driveability in a few days, but it's not gonna rip your lips off or anything. What I noticed the most was HOW the power is delivered, it's much more linear now, and the shifts are much improved. I also love being able to kill TC and MDS, it was almost worth the cost for that alone.

Reactions: brandonjansen

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool I haven't waited more than 30 sec after shutting the truck off so ill try that Tomm and hope your right.

I definitely noticed a pretty decent difference. I don't know a lot about this stuff I'm kinda learning as I go. Doesn't hitting the traction control button do the same as doing it on the tuner? If not I wonder if the TC being off is already a part of The hemifever tune.

I agree 100% about the shifts though they are way better now. As for the power part I couldn't tell you the diff between more or more linear so ill just take your word for it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wondering if there is any "pinging" or knock.
Not at all. This was one thing I was concerned about before I bought a tuner. I researched the bully dog and this trinity, also found hemifever and white lighting, I asked the pinging and knock question to the hemi fever guy cuz I heard a lot of complaints on this from several guys who had the bullydog.

He explained it as spark knock I believe?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm not trying to be the sour apple here but I had an Intune Tuner and there was no improvement in my ETs. Chrysler has rung just about the maximum potential of these engines in their tunes. There may be a couple HP and Trq left on the table to leave some room for safety due to engine variations. If you look at the actual Dyno graphs, I've seen in the neighborhood of 1-3 hp max and in most cases nothing! Tuners can get big numbers on Diesel but not so much on today's modern gas engines.
This is why you don’t see any advertised Dyno Pulles with the only variable being the tuner. If these tuners were increasing horsepower and torque, you’d see the manufacturer advertising this all over the place but they don’t because they can’t.
On the other hand, if you’re going to modify your engine, I can see getting a custom tune, especially for headers and cams ect.
I think what most of us feel is the change in throttle response, no real gain in 1/4 mile ET's.
If anyone has a before and after dyno pull or 1/4 mile ET with the only variable being the Tuner, please let me know. I'd love to see it, I haven't.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well as I've said before I don't know a lot about this stuff but common sense tells me if throttle response is improved there's room for improvement on those 0-60 and 1/4 times. I'm not trying to sound snippy or cocky at all either in case that got taken in the wrong way.

Then again if ur right it's possible I'm completely clueless and the change that has happened in my truck since installing the tuner is somehow deceiving me into making me think its faster ???

But I doubt it, more power is there for sure. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, some know more than others, some claim to know a lot and really don't.

But hey I'll bow out respectfully now as I'm sure my words have or will offend some people but hey nothing wrong with having a little faith in the product you buy especially if it makes you happy!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts