DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was able to change the tranny shift points to 5900 I have a full tank of 91 octane and also put in a bottle of octane booster. I selected the perf 87 tune and I gotta say....

I DIDN'T NOTICE ANY DIFFERENCE IN POWER AT ALL!
Only change was if shifted at 5900 instead of the stock 5500?
Also did throttle boost to 12% or whatever it says on the trinity and didn't notice any difference there either.

If this is what tuning is all about I think I just waisted $599 and this black plastic tuner POS is going in the trash.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh ok didn't know it was bad, I've never used it in anything before. I installed the 87 tune because I've read that guys have better luck when the gas in their tank is higher octane than the tune.

I didn't not know it takes a bit for the truck to learn it though! I thought once its installed its done doing what it's there to do.

I installed the original tune and took it out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I appreciate the advice everybody, it makes sense now. Gotta say though Sean from hemi fever has helped ALOT broke it down Barney style for me to understand, that guy is great. And you guys rock too I'd be lost without you so thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update! Sean @Hemi Fever worked with me most of the day got everything updated and figured out, got his tune in the truck and went for a drive! If this takes a couple days to full potential I'm EXCITED! Cuz right after his tune went in on my 10 mile spree of waisting gas my Faith in tuning is restored! It made a very noticeable difference in power and his tranny tune did a lot too, it's no longer a slug when it hits 2nd and 3rd gear.

Now I'm happy!

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool I haven't waited more than 30 sec after shutting the truck off so ill try that Tomm and hope your right.

I definitely noticed a pretty decent difference. I don't know a lot about this stuff I'm kinda learning as I go. Doesn't hitting the traction control button do the same as doing it on the tuner? If not I wonder if the TC being off is already a part of The hemifever tune.

I agree 100% about the shifts though they are way better now. As for the power part I couldn't tell you the diff between more or more linear so ill just take your word for it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wondering if there is any "pinging" or knock.
Not at all. This was one thing I was concerned about before I bought a tuner. I researched the bully dog and this trinity, also found hemifever and white lighting, I asked the pinging and knock question to the hemi fever guy cuz I heard a lot of complaints on this from several guys who had the bullydog.

He explained it as spark knock I believe?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well as I've said before I don't know a lot about this stuff but common sense tells me if throttle response is improved there's room for improvement on those 0-60 and 1/4 times. I'm not trying to sound snippy or cocky at all either in case that got taken in the wrong way.

Then again if ur right it's possible I'm completely clueless and the change that has happened in my truck since installing the tuner is somehow deceiving me into making me think its faster ???

But I doubt it, more power is there for sure. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, some know more than others, some claim to know a lot and really don't.

But hey I'll bow out respectfully now as I'm sure my words have or will offend some people but hey nothing wrong with having a little faith in the product you buy especially if it makes you happy!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
With the 2011 there are still tranny bugs not worked out so you wont get it past 5900 its all over there forums and becareful i had my tune for 2 weeks now its at dealer cause my tranny is fried
That does not sound fun! Right before I installed it I was at the dealer and they made some drive ability tranny updates so hopefully that's the bugs your referring to all worked out?

As far as 5900rpm I don't see the need to push my daily driver past that cuz I really don't want to ruin it!

Now I'm questioning it, I like the diff in power but its not worth screwing my truck up to me at least! Any further info on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Okay everybody it's my third or fourth day with the tuner. So far... I love it! Gas has settled in to a consistent 17.4 MPG tranny shifts great, no Pinging, plenty more power over stock.

On my way home from Work I was on a very long flat stretch of nice smooth pavement, staged for a 0-60 at 2k rpm laid 1st gear rubber about 15ft of second gear came to a 7.13,

Stopped again staged at probably 1200 RPM small squeal and got a 5.99 0-60!!! I'm sure others have done better but I thought it was impressive!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.