DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed out the rear brake pads and now the caliper is rubbing the inside of the rim. They are aftermarket seventeens but had no issues until i changed the pads. Any ideas on what to do to fix this or what could be the issue. Thanks Im pretty ticked about it lol

·
Registered
471 Posts
its been a while and i mean a long while since ive done a brake job. dont quote me on this but i dont believe the caliper moves with new pads. it should be in the same place as with the old. the pistons inside the caliper are what move back and forth pushing the pad against the disc. not sure why its rubbing the rim now. seems rather odd since it didnt do it before. hopefully someone more mechanically inclined can chime in and help more than i did. at least this will bump ya back to the top . good luck

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks do you know if u can put the pads on the wrong side or the clip on the wrong side with the pads

·
Registered
868 Posts
daggertats is right the caliper doesn't move only the piston, if it didn't rub before it shouldn't rub now! Pull it apart and go over everything you did, something went back together wrong. If you can't find the problem take it to a shop and let them go over it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It appears that the new pads are clipping the rim the top and bottom where the clips are are scraping any ideas to fix this and why would it do that when the old ones didn't I have verified and they are the correct pads I'm super pissed

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My dad is wanting to shave the ends I'm not to sure about it another Ideas would be great not sure why the old pads didn't do this and the new ones do

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
The CALIPER is rubbing on the wheel? Or the PADS are rubbing the wheel? I don't see how the pads could be...

If the caliper didn't rub before, it shouldn't now either. Some calipers are "floating", or half floating. Usually one side of the caliper is hard mounted (bolted) to a bracket, and the other side of the caliper "floats" on two slide pins. Maybe the new pads are thicker and just pushed the "floating" side of the caliper out further (assuming the "floating" side is the wheel side).

I don't know....this seems bizzare. How about some pics?

·
Registered
868 Posts
You should try to take a pic of the part that is rubbing and where it's rubbing on the wheel.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Finally the truth comes out!! Dad's are always right!! Thank you! :) Try to tell my 19 yo son that all the time and he does not believe it, Also tell my wife that Husbands are always right, she dont get it either!! Come on people...J/K Glad it worked out for you.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hey Jachsonsnorth, I did say that Dads are ussually right but as a father you should know that teenage sons know everything which trumps being right all the time. Girls aren't a lot better. Fortunatly mine are getting close to being over 25 which is when they start regressing. I got lucky, my grandson is just like my son. Payback is sooooo sweet.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Haha ...your so right too Bruce...We are raising my Grandson here since we lost my daughter march 2009 to cancer and he is soooo like my daughter (she was my little stinker, God Bless her). He is the little monster she was at his age, 8yo, and man am I getting it with him. I think he is the revenge my Dad wished upon me when I was a terror as a kid. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I never really question dad when it comes to vehicles he is a whizz and once again he hit it right on the head go dads lol

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Fortunatly mine are getting close to being over 25 which is when they start regressing.
So I only have a month left before I start to lose all my infinite wisdom!?!?!?!?

:)

·
Registered
198 Posts
rubbing

A 1/4 inch spacer should cure the problem??????????????? Don't let that guy work on you ride. Jeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzz.:doh:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts