DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installed Spohn Adjustable Rear

I hate these forums :LOL: They make you spend money!!!

Anyway, I installed the Spohn adjustable upper and lower control arms along with the adjustable panhard bar. In comparison to the factory parts the Spohn's are top notch. Below are some pictures with comparisons. Look at the out of round bushing holes in the factory bars. I have to wonder if this is why some trucks experience more wobble than others. I didn't experience any wobble, but if the tolerances are as big as these I can see where there could be problems. I haven't adjusted the rear yet to center the wheels in the wheel wells, but I did check my pinion angle and that is good.

Sorry, no pictures of the installed arms as it's kind of hard to get a decent shot.

·
Banned
2,552 Posts
Looking good Q:smileup::smileup:.

What's your plan for getting the housing center'd in the wells.
Are you using a plumb bob or something along those lines.

I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to use your old arms measurements and go back a certain length from them,then trying to center the housing after the fact,but i'm only guessing as i haven't done it yet

I'm waiting to see what Tool fabs up for his locator bars.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Spohn bars come jig set at the factory arm lengths, so no real hurry to mess with them. I've been searching for some posts by a guy with the screen name UNBROKEN. I recall he had a shop in Friendswood, Tx get his set up centered. It's a little bit of a trip for me, but if they know what they're doing it may be worth it. I'm a little OCD when it comes to someone else working on my vehicles.

·
Banned
2,552 Posts
I would think any decent alignment shop that can do 4 wheel alignments should be able to set them up,if you know where abouts you want the diff to sit.
You'll want to make sure it tracks straight so you're gonna need a 4 wheel alignment anyways

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figure I can find a common point in the wheel well to measure from, then adjust the arms counting number of turns / flats and set them all the same. Recheck the pinion angle, then set the side to side center. Fortunately I have a lifetime alignment package so that part is good. But, I'm still going to look for the shop UNBROKEN used just in case I chicken out!

·
Banned
2,552 Posts
That's the way i'd do it,but i wouldn't worry about finding the actual center as much as finding a point where the wheels look centered.
The wheelwells on our trucks isn't a perfect circle,so you'll want it set to where it pleases the eye
You could even slightly lengthen the wheelbase over stock,you're a shortbox,so any length you can add to the wheelbase helps the ride.
Just make sure you still have decent driveshaft engagement on the tranny side of things

·
Registered
214 Posts
I went with the adjustable track bar but static control arms so I didn't have to fiddle with this. The parts look great! Let us know how centering everything goes for you.

·
Registered
259 Posts
So after 3 years how are these holding up?? Do tell...

·
Registered
565 Posts
Would I benefit from the upper and lower adjustable control arms with a 2/4 drop? I plan on using the adjustable panhard regardless. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Sooo...got the 2/4 Belltech drop installed and the Hellwig rear sway, Hellwig adj. front end links, moog adj. rear end links and Spohn Panhard bar...all went in with no issues.

Needed to adjust the panhard to get the axle to center, so I think that is a must when dropping the rear 4 inches.

Was able to get it aligned so not going to get any adj. control arms at this time...

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts