DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys. Just went out to install a rear facing baby seat with a base in the back of my 2011 Ram Sport Quad cab. The damn thing is too big to fit in the passenger or driver side rear seats with the base:LOL:. Just wondering what you guys have been doing with these baby seats. Any info or pointers would be great.
Thanks

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
Wow that's surprising as I had one in the back of my club cab Dakota no problem....well I shouldn't say that. You had to be short to ride comfortably in the passengers seat but both the wife and I are undertall so it worked well!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Put it in the middle rear seat and it will stick out between the 2 front seats.
Even once the kid gets bigger and you face the car seat to the front, he/she can stick thier feet out over the center console to have leg room

·
Registered
5 Posts
The base will be fine hanging over the seat a little bit. Place it in the middle of the rear bench seat and be sure to get it tight. Its a little inconvienent but it is the safest place for baby. Beside, thats how you build those beach gun!s :smileup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
The middle is better anyway in case you were hit from the side by some moron running a red light. Your baby being in the middle gives more room no matter what side you got hit on....

I have a 7 yr old and a 5 yr old, when our first one was a baby that's what I did, in the middle. Once the second was born no choice but to put them on each side.

Just another point to think about......:smiley_thumbs_up:

Once you become a parent and they become mobile.....around 10-ish months.....once that happens you and your kid each have one job to do until they are about 3...... Their job is to try and kill themselves..... Your job is to make sure they don't..... That's it.....:wavey:

Thx
Vinman

·
Registered
386 Posts
Your local Fire Department will be more the happy to help you learn how to safely use your baby's car seat.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I put mine in the middle and it works out great. The base will hand over the seat but since its being secured by the seat belt on the back of the seat that doesn't matter at all. I am not sure if its normal but my middle seat belt strap does not lock when you pull it all the way out like most I have seen. Luckily my base came with a clip that locks it for me.. Other than that, putting it in the middle is the way to go. People can still sit on either side and both front seat passengers can move there seats back plenty far unless they are super tall or something!

·
Registered
79 Posts
My kids are 1 and 3. When the little one was rear facing, I also stuck him in the middle. Now they are both front facing and they each get their own side.

·
Registered
831 Posts
The car seats, at least the Britax ones I've used, are designed such that it's acceptable to have 3" or so hanging over the seat as per their manuals. You can compensate a little by not reclining the baby seat at all, but that's not very comfortable. Anyway, you can have a little overhang and be ok.

·
Registered
433 Posts
And another option is to have bought a crew cab.. This would have given you about 8 more inches or so of room. Just saying, because I had a quad cab before and the there is quite a bit of difference between the 2 in the back seat area. Love them both but have to say I like the crew cab more.. Just my 2 cents, and wasnt trying to be ugly, more of a smart ars you could say...

·
Registered
15 Posts
This was why I bought a crew cab. You can go to a smaller seat, which should buy you an inch or 2, the drive with the seat farther forward than tou like to make it work.

I just went the crew cab route instead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts