DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the BlackVue dash cam today that I’ll be doing an install video on this weekend but I wanted some advice on wiring using the factory installed AUX switches.

Facts:
- Dash cam has a ground wire, a constant power wire, and an ignition wire to be powered when the truck is on.
- the constant power wire allows the camera to operate while the vehicle is parked and off, when it senses motion or vibration
- the ignition wire turns the camera on once the truck is started
- OEM AUX switches can be set to operate when truck is off or on
- the camera has a safety function to prevent draining battery while in park mode
AUX switches 1 & 2 are battery fed (constant)
AUX switches 3 &4 are ignition fed

Questions:
- Do I connect the constant wire to AUX switch 1 and ignition wire to switch 3?
or
- Run the constant wire to the battery and the ignition wire to switch 3?

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well...did it anyway. I didn’t get any feedback but I’m heading cross country so I went ahead and installed the dash cam using two switches. Works perfectly with the AUX switches. I’ll try and get some video and photos up for anyone else who tackles the project and then this threads a wrap.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I have movers packing my household items for transport today but I’ll be sure to upload the video of my setup tonight. Heres the the Pro/ Con for now.

Within minutes of researching dash cams, I was tempted to go with a high end model. However with prices hovering around the $400 range I quickly dismissed so bells and whistles. I don’t mind not having GPS functionality and I’ll explain why I wouldn’t want this feature in the cons. I also passed on the ability to store videos in the cloud, but I wished I had this feature.

I went with a BlackVue DR590W-1CH which I’ll score 8 of 10 as of a few days use.

PROS: Price: $200 including hardware. There are cheaper dash cams out there but for various reasons, I chose a BlackVue and don’t regret it.
WI-FI: This option allows me to connect via wireless connection and watch videos on my phone approximately 20 seconds behind real time.
Parking mode: The camera switches to parking mode when the vehicle is off and records only when picking up motion or vibration. The Magic Pro that comes with it allows me to set how long I want it to remain in this mode so it doesn’t kill my truck battery.
Cosmetics: looks sleek and blends in well with the mirror and dash.
Video: Crisp and I can zoom in on license plates when watching video if needed.
AUX switches: I love having it connected to my switch, allows me to turn it off when facing a wall or home.

CONS: WI-FI: When connected to the camera’s WiFi I cannot use other apps that require WIFI (pandora, google maps, etc). Not a big deal since I can’t really view videos while driving.
Cloud: I would have preferred to have videos kept in the cloud in case someone steals the car. Having them stored on a SD card makes it neseccary to have possesion of the card or be within range of WiFi. One model up and I could have had the cloud function. I’m glad I don’t though and here is why.
GPS/ Cloud: So if you jump on the BlackVue Viewer web page and create an account, you can view other live footage of dash cam users who have videos saved in the cloud. At first I thought this was cool because I am able to see a map of users and view road conditions and traffic before I get there. However,I can also see footage of vehicles who leave their parking mode on at home, viewing house numbers and inside garages. I feel like a bad doer could use this footage to (1) know where you live (it’s on a map) and (2) know when I’m home. Since I don’t have GPS/ Cloud you can’t see my dash cam or location.

All in all I recommend this dash cam model to anyone who wants a higher end cam without paying over $250.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts