Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Relatively Easy (1-3 hours)

Votes: 2 10.0%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very interested in getting headers.. I'd like to install them myself, but I'm not very good with mechanical stuff..

How would you rate your installing of your headers?
And how much would you pay a shop to install it for you?
Ballpark would be great so I know if I'd be getting ripped off..

I have a 5.7L Hemi

·
Registered
644 Posts
Headers can be a pain in the ass. Usually theres 1-3 bolts that are tough to install on just about every set and can take extra time. Header install time greatly varys, even on the same vehicle. Depending upon the tools you have, lift system (jack, lift, ect), whether you have a 2nd set of hands, and whether you encounter issues with removing old bolts or having them broken off.

I wouldnt rate the install hard depending upon the time, as header installs really aren't a hard job just a time consuming one (provided everything goes smoothly, break a bolt off in the head and thats when it gets a bit harder!).

All said, by yourself Id say about 5-6 hours if everything goes smoothly and taking your time if its your first time doing it on this particular vehicle. Once youve done it once you can lower that time quite a bit.

Id estimate in the range of $200-$300 for an install at a shop as they have proper tools, lifts, air tools and can get it done a bit quicker than the average joe.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I actually had some questions on this too..I already bought my JBA shorties. I will have access to a full lift (places bars on the frame and up it goes) just curious as to some of the extra things i should get. I already have basic tools and anti seize for the bolts I know i need some sort of sealant goo or something not sure what its called lol what other specialty items should I acquire?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Headers are easy they just take time. On Hemis Ive put them on multiple times in 2-5 hours. EAch truck is different and sometimes its just one of those days

I actually had some questions on this too..I already bought my JBA shorties. I will have access to a full lift (places bars on the frame and up it goes) just curious as to some of the extra things i should get. I already have basic tools and anti seize for the bolts I know i need some sort of sealant goo or something not sure what its called lol what other specialty items should I acquire?
Basic hand tools, a swivel for you sockets, ratcheting box wrenches and new manifold gaskets.

I wouldnt put anti seize on header bolts, too easy they might start backing themselves out. As far as sealant goo or something I have no idea what your talking about... maybe gasket maker?? Anyways, no you dont need any other form of goo

·
Registered
477 Posts
alright sounds good I just was looking up some installation vids on you tube and they had some sort of material on the ends of the headers to the exhaust no idea what it was. manifold gaskets where do i get those from?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I always like running stock ones and have had best luck using those. I reused my stock ones cuz my truck didnt have many miles and they looked like they were in good shape. They should be 50-60$ for the set from the dealership.

Dont run any gaskets that arent multi layer metal, those have the least failure rate

·
Registered
292 Posts
from what i have read use stage 8 bolts and oem gaskets. the passenger side is easier than the driver side. depending on the bolts soak them for at least a day before you start removing. take your time and check the tightness of the bolts a couple days after the install. i want to get headers so bad but i have no way to lift my truck and install them. and i cant justify payin a shop to do them.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Well the JBA headers come with the manifold gaskets. I'd assume those are good enough lol Unfortunately I don't know because I'm still learning about modding and whatnot
They are like a flexy think one layer and it is harder to get an even seal and way easier to blow them out

from what i have read use stage 8 bolts and oem gaskets. the passenger side is easier than the driver side. depending on the bolts soak them for at least a day before you start removing. take your time and check the tightness of the bolts a couple days after the install. i want to get headers so bad but i have no way to lift my truck and install them. and i cant justify payin a shop to do them.
When we put mine on we jacked the truck so the front tires were barely off the ground. You could do the install on drive on ramps very easily or maybe see if a forum member will let you highjack their driveway or jack/jackstands for a day to do it and make a little forum meet n greet out of yoru install.

imo stage 8 bolts are not necessary. The locking ones can be way more bother than they are worth trying to get the c clips on as well. I think its better to just have new and freshly cleaned grae 8 bolts, its what came with my ARHs and what Ive used on all my vehicle installs in the past and the only problem Ive ever had installed headers was snapping the head off of a Stage 8, yes stage 8 not grade 8, bolt in the head of my camaro. While it was more than liekyl my fauly, i was ussing a stubby driver and was just snugging the bolts. IDK what happened, but it def put a bad taste in my mouth

Interesting.....whats the difference between the oem gaskets and ones that come with the headers and why stage 8 bolts?

Stock gasket are multi layer and "crush down" to create their seal. kinda like if you took tinfoil, folded it over itself a few times and then smooshed it between to things to help create a seal, vs taking babper thats 1/8" think like the other types of gaskets are made out of and did the same thing. Being that you arent exactly applying exhaust pressure all the way around the exxhaust port it helps to have the gasket working with you as much as possible.

as far as the bolts see reply above

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ok so the OEM gaskets at what point would they be going bad? I have 82k on mine should i just sport the cash and get new ones or will the current ones be fine and how do I tell either way once they are off?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Ok so the OEM gaskets at what point would they be going bad? I have 82k on mine should i just sport the cash and get new ones or will the current ones be fine and how do I tell either way once they are off?
Once they are off you can look to see what the carbon print on them is and if they were leaking or not. At 82K i would go ahead and replace them just because your already going to have them off though

·
Registered
292 Posts
awesome info SS, i would really like to get this done since i finally pulled the trigger on my e cutout. of course i have been looking at shorty headers for about a year now and i still cant decide on which ones. thank you for your help

as far as the gaskets, 50 bucks for piece of mind sounds better than getting into the job and not having them. i will buy the gaskets if i ever get this done.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
IDK about with the 3rd gens but the 4th gen stock bolts are to long to be reused, in either case if they supply bolts i would just make sure they are grade 8 bolts and if not go to a local hardware store and get some new bolts that are the right length and thread pitch and youll be okay.

I lost one of my ARH bolts and just went to the hardware store and got some grade 8 machine bolts and they are working just fine

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ok last question lol and I should be ready to tackle this. Is everything done from underneath the truck or am I gonna be going back and forth between under the hood and under the truck?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
JAck the truck up, take the wheels off, take the wheel wells out (the black plastic things) and everything will be done via under the truck and through the wheel well opening. Let me dib up my install thread the pics will make you understand everythign

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
eff totally just realized your a 3rd gen, im sure its not much different lol

1 - 20 of 41 Posts