DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install a power tailgate lock on my new Ram so my key fob will unlock it along with the doors. Anyone install a Pop & Lock power lock kit and if so did it work properly? I want it to work with the fob and not just the switches on the door. I'm assuming this will work as I want it to.

I downloaded the installation instructions but I'm wondering if anyone had any installation issues, in particular finding the correct wires to tap into. In other words are the instructions reliable?

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Did you get the mopar kit? If you did are the directns updated for the 2012. I installed mine from mopar and the directns were wrong. The 2011 not sure what's in the 12 TIPM is not the same as 9-10 so the wireing to the TIPM connector is wrong. I cannot remember which wires to use. But it's on the forum. Do a search you will find it.

·
Registered
35,470 Posts
Keep us updated on how you make out with his mod....If you get a chance post some pics once finished.......

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the Mopar kit installed, but I decided to cheat. I had the dealer install it when they had to take the tailgate apart anyway because my lock cylinder was stuck. Figured why not just let them do it while they were in there and had the truck.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the Mopar kit installed, but I decided to cheat. I had the dealer install it when they had to take the tailgate apart anyway because my lock cylinder was stuck. Figured why not just let them do it while they were in there and had the truck.
I haven't ordered it yet. I wasn't aware there was a Mopar kit so I'll look into it. Prices are likely higher in Canada but what did you pay for the kit and installation?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Install was easy. Only problem I ran into was the wiring. But I already, had an idea the wiring would be wrong.

·
Banned
437 Posts
I just installed mine this past weekend. The instructions are OK except when you get to putting all the mechanicals back together and there's no pics or instructions beyond "reassemble tailgate lock assembly to vehicle" or some such nonsense. It is a bit of a juggling act, but easy to figure out. The wiring is another story. Common auto electric protocol says that wire colors are described with one or two colors, the second being the color of the stripe if present. In the case of these instructions both wires you need to tap into are described as TN/LB, which should be Tan with a Light Brown stripe. This did not match what I had on my 2012. Also the orientation of the pics in the instructions of the connectors was not correct, either. Fortunately, the numbers identifying what wire was at what position in the connectors was correct, so I simply went by that and ignored the actual wire colors. Another thing that gave me fits is that the harness for the lock actuator has two wires, a red and a black. There is nothing in the instructions to tell you which goes where. I held my breath and took my chances and it worked. Would have been nice to know that it didn't matter because polarity often does with solenoids. In any case, the install was easy and it is great to have the tailgate lock/unlock with the rest of the doors, especially since I have a tonneau on it.:smileup:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very nice write up. My only gripe is that at one point he refers to this kit as being aftermarket only. This is a genuine Mopar product available only from a dealer and not aftermarket.
Yes its a Mopar product but what he means by that (at the time of writing the article) is it's not a part that you are going to find installed from the factory.

·
Banned
437 Posts
Yes its a Mopar product but what he means by that (at the time of writing the article) is it's not a part that you are going to find installed from the factory.
Well, the common application of the term 'aftermarket' is to those items manufactured by 3rd-party companies and not the original vehicle manufacturer. By that definition this is not an aftermarket product and is indeed an OEM product even if it wasn't offered as a stock item. Not trying to split hairs, but some people will shy away from an aftermarket product due to perceived (right or wrong) deficiencies. An OEM product like this is designed by, for and sold by the same people who built our trucks.:smileup:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just installed the Mopar kit in my 2012 last weekend. Ignore the colour of the wires they claim in the instructions. Just use the cavities they show on the 2011 instructions. The only issue I had was i couldnt get the wires freed from the connector so I spliced, soldered and taped. I'll fix later...maybe. My dealer (in Ontario) wanted $170 for the kit. I negotiated him down to $150 but ended up getting it from a dealer in S Carolina through Amazon...$130 shipped to my door. I think one could even shave a few bucks off that if they tried.
A very convenient accessory. Love it.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I ordered mine yesterday, will install it with confidence with all the info here, should be a snap, thanks for all the great info

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I got mine installed successfully today!

Definitely Ignore the wire colors and just go by the location on the harness. My wire colors did not match at all.

What a Great accessory though!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts