DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, I have seen in this forum several threads about people unable to use 64GB SD card with the RAM Uconnect, and there is some talk that the Uconnect will not recognize any card above 32GB, well.. this is not true and please let me explain, Uconnect has no problem with the card size, but it has problem how the card was formatted and will not recognize any format except FAT32 format.... SD cards 32GB and under are typically formatted FAT32 and will work fine on Uconnect…. But when it come to SD cards above 32GB (like the 64GB SD card) Microsoft Windows do not let you and will not even give you the option to format it in FAT32 and it will default to exFAT or NTFS type of format as Microsoft claim FAT32 is not an efficient format for any media larger than 32GB, and this is the problem why 64GB SD card would not work in the Uconnect, it is the type of format not the size capacity of the card…. Now to the good news.. there is a workaround to this problem, the trick is to format your 64GB SD card in FAT32 before loading your music on it, I did that and now I have 64GB SD card working fine in my RAM, here is how you can do it:

1. Since Windows will not let you format 64GB SD card in FAT32, you have to use a utility to do that and here is the link where you can download that utility, it is called “guiformat”

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/guiformat.exe

by the way when you download the utility and also when you run it, Windows will give you a warning that this program has not been verified “for virus etc..”, I checked it with multiple antivirus and antimalware programs and it is clean.

2. Find what is your SD card drive letter, E: F: etc.. “mine was E:”

3. Run the utility program.

4. Select the letter of your SD card drive “mine was E:”…. BE VERY CAREFUL AND SELECT THE SD CARD DRIVE NOT ANY OTHER DRIVE.. IF YOU AREN'T PAYING ATTENTION, YOU COULD FORMAT THE WRONG DRIVE AND MESS UP YOUR COMPUTER.

5. Select the Allocation unit size (I recommend 512).

6. Type the Volume label (whatever you want, I called mine RAM MUSIC).

7. Make sure the Quick Format box is checked.

8. Click start.

9. Once the program is done formatting your SD card you can close it.

10. Now you have 64GB SD card formatted in FAT32 and the RAM Uconnect will recognize it no problem…. load your music on it, put it in your RAM Uconnect and enjoy the drive with your favorite music.

11. One more thing, once your 64GB card is formatted in FAT32 your computer will take longer to recognize it every time you insert it in the computer (one or two minutes) because windows still look for other formats before it looks for the FAT32, so be patient…. But when you insert it in the RAM Uconnect it will be very fast because as I mentioned above the RAM Uconnect is designed to look and recognize FAT32 only.

By the way the card I am using is Sony 64GB SDXC Class 10 UHS-1, I got it from amazon for $38.99, and this one work just fine, I am not sure if any other type or class would work the same, so please post on this thread your experience with other type and class of cards using the above method for others to know what to use and what to avoid if any…. And thank you all.

I hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Thanks man! That is really helpful….. I did have to do a double check to make sure I was still on the Ram forum… These trucks are getting so technical I sometimes wonder if I have drifted away to a computer forum.
I will give this a try today.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you for this information! I will be looking for a nice 64gb card during Christmas/Boxing Day sales!
Any chance Uconnect supports FLAC?
Very interesting question SShadow1974, I never thought of playing FLAC file on Uconnect, so I put several FLAC files on SD card and inserted it in Uconnect, I am sad to report that Uconnect did not even see those files, so obviously FLAC is unsupported by Uconnect.

·
Registered
972 Posts
e.m.

Really good write-up and thanks for the information. I don't think I will ever fill a 32 gb. SD. card, but will keep the information for reference.

Greg

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thank you for this information! I will be looking for a nice 64gb card during Christmas/Boxing Day sales!
Any chance Uconnect supports FLAC?
Very interesting question SShadow1974, I never thought of playing FLAC file on Uconnect, so I put several FLAC files on SD card and inserted it in Uconnect, I am sad to report that Uconnect did not even see those files, so obviously FLAC is unsupported by Uconnect.
What about converting the FLAC to WMA/MP3.. would it sound nearly identical? Never listened to a FLAC file before so excuse me if I'm being naive!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
What about converting the FLAC to WMA/MP3.. would it sound nearly identical? Never listened to a FLAC file before so excuse me if I'm being naive!
There are too many music compression formats (opinion). FLAC is a lossless format compared to an MP3. MP3s can be created using variable bit rates offering higher compression without noticeable losses.

In a vehicle with the typical ambient noises, I doubt anyone could hear the difference between a CD, FLAC, or an MP3 VBR. Perhaps someone with good hearing and with the ability to hear a large range of frequencies (12 to 30 something year olds) and using professional music equipment would hear a difference. The difference would be limited to crowded sections of the music.

There are a lot of opinions on this but few will offer data to back this. The MP3 VBR came from audiophiles looking for smaller music files without the loss of fidelity. I'm at work right now so I can site this but will once I get home. It is a good read that for the most part, extinguishes all the Internet hog-wash. You know, the I have a friend that has a friend that said ...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you guys all for the nice comments,.. I got a lot of great and helpful information from this forum….I just wanted to return the favor and try to give something back to the forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey; I am a new owner and newbie to the forum. I read your post and did exactly what you recommended. I followed the instructions to the "T" and it all seemed to progress just fine. However, once the card was in the truck it all bogged down to a crawl... The card has 48 GB on it and is recognized by the unit but runs painfully slow (like 2 minutes to change songs). Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Hey; I am a new owner and newbie to the forum. I read your post and did exactly what you recommended. I followed the instructions to the "T" and it all seemed to progress just fine. However, once the card was in the truck it all bogged down to a crawl... The card has 48 GB on it and is recognized by the unit but runs painfully slow (like 2 minutes to change songs). Thoughts?
try changing the card. Also, on 48GB of music, it might take a long time to "shuffle" or read the contents. I bed you have lots of other files in there, as txt and jpegs :)
It would be a good idea to have a Class 10 card, the slower the card, the slower the data transfer. Get a brand name card, like Sandisk or similar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
try changing the card. Also, on 48GB of music, it might take a long time to "shuffle" or read the contents. I bed you have lots of other files in there, as txt and jpegs :)
It would be a good idea to have a Class 10 card, the slower the card, the slower the data transfer. Get a brand name card, like Sandisk or similar.
Thanks for your fast reply. I will try a different card but... The one I am using is a Sandisk SDXC class 10 and there are only music files on it... I have not checked to see that they are MP3 vs. 4 but I pulled them straight off of iTunes. I read somewhere that SDXC won't work. Only SDHC? That is counter to your post however. You mention that it could be slow because of the amount of data. I was under the impression that you had no issues with a big library. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
SDXC supports 32GB+, up to 2TB, whereas the SDHC has a limit of 32GB.

Try with 8GB or so in mp3s, see how it behaves. If it is ok, then add 10GB more and test again. This way you will know for sure if the amount of data is too big or not.
I would also make sure about having the latest version of uconnect. Mine is 13.51.11, it came like this with the truck from the factory.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That was my understanding as well. So you have the same card essentially and have solid performance. How much data are you using?

How did you pull down your music files? I created an iTunes playlist (48 BB worth..) and dragged it onto the SD Card.

I just did my latest update available today and it was 13.48.3... My unit is an 8.4 A. What is yours?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I don't have nearly as much data, I have like 8GB on a 32GB card. I dragged and dropped the mp3 files directly, no itunes crap. I hate itunes with a passion, and everything apple related for what is worth.
When i first put in the SD card, it took like 20 seconds (it said "please wait to read contents"), maybe less and after that it is simply instantaneous, shuffle, no shuffle, looking for any artist or song via the VR commands...
Maybe it is indeed too much 48GB? :) I find the 32GB to be more than sufficient. Plus the 8GB USB, plus 2 phones, plus XM, plus radio....I have more music than I need.

Try formatting the card again FAT32 and set the default allocation size (cluster size) to 16KB, or even 32KB. The 512 bytes allocation size is recommended up to 64MB (not GB) and after that it is increasing gradually. Maybe this will help, you will be be at the last two lines (you probably used the 512 bytes as recommended in the thread here); I would use the 16KB first:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/140365

Default FAT32 cluster size

32 MB–64 MB 512 bytes
64 MB–128 MB 1 KB
128 MB–256 MB 2 K
256 MB–8GB 4 KB
8GB–16GB 8 KB
16GB–32GB 16 KB
32GB–2TB 32 KB

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't have nearly as much data, I have like 8GB on a 32GB card. I dragged and dropped the mp3 files directly, no itunes crap. I hate itunes with a passion, and everything apple related for what is worth.
When i first put in the SD card, it took like 20 seconds (it said "please wait to read contents"), maybe less and after that it is simply instantaneous, shuffle, no shuffle, looking for any artist or song via the VR commands...
Maybe it is indeed too much 48GB? :) I find the 32GB to be more than sufficient. Plus the 8GB USB, plus 2 phones, plus XM, plus radio....I have more music than I need.

Try formatting the card again FAT32 and set the default allocation size (cluster size) to 16KB, or even 32KB. The 512 bytes allocation size is recommended up to 64MB (not GB) and after that it is increasing gradually. Maybe this will help, you will be be at the last two lines (you probably used the 512 bytes as recommended in the thread here); I would use the 16KB first:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/140365

Default FAT32 cluster size

32 MB–64 MB 512 bytes
64 MB–128 MB 1 KB
128 MB–256 MB 2 K
256 MB–8GB 4 KB
8GB–16GB 8 KB
16GB–32GB 16 KB
32GB–2TB 32 KB
It's funny you say that. I too am an Apple hater. Unfortunately my wife and kids are not so I am forced to deal with it. I am currently battling my library from a corrupted backup... I am in "duplicate" hell... iTunes sucks!

I reformatted the SD to 16 kb and it seems to be working pretty well. I only put 15 GB on it to test. I will load it up tonight. FYI: MP4's are working fine along side MP3's (I have a bunch of both). Thanks for your help!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.