DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The instrument digital display (instrument cluster) that shows mph, tire pressure and other information went completely blank on my dashboard.
Any input of what’s causing this is much appreciated . I have a 2013 Ram Bighorn.

Fireman Bob

·
Registered
42 Posts
Had this happen to my 2013 Laramie (while under warranty thank goodness). At times the instrument cluster would "reboot" while driving or go blank for long periods of time. Dealership replaced it twice with a "refurbished unit" and checked connections both times. When the issues continued for a third time - a factory rep was called in. He recommended using a "factory new" instrument cluster for the third repair. After that was installed 5 years ago, I've never had any issues. I think RAM has had some issues with the instrument cluster in the past - but probably not bad enough for a recall.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After a few days it rebooted itself and is currently on. Very odd. Will leave it with the dealer some time in January and thankfully under warranty . I had taken extended warranty with Mopar. Thx for responding

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
After a few days it rebooted itself and is currently on. Very odd. Will leave it with the dealer some time in January and thankfully under warranty . I had taken extended warranty with Mopar. Thx for responding
Hello RFC,
We are happy to hear your concern seems to have resolved itself. Please feel free to let us know via private message if you decide to address this with your dealer in the future. We will gladly assist you during that process.
Laura
RamCares

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do. I understand that certain 2013 production models are having issues like mine along with other electrical issues ( U Connect , non starting problems) that Chrysler has known about and did not correct which is not good.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My 2013 1500 had some intermittent issues with the instrument cluster and entertainment system going dark when it was fairly new, but I wasn't able to reproduce it and the dealer wasn't able to do anything about it. Several years later, I turned the truck off at the end of the driveway while getting the mail. When I went to restart it, everything was dark and I couldn't get anything on the truck to respond. After a flatbed ride to the shop, it was found that there was a loose connector under the dash. Whether the two were related, I don't know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took my 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn to the dealership and they ran a diagnostic and fixed two unrelated recall items. The dealership called me and said they would have to order a new instrument cluster ($1400). I told them I would come pick up the truck before deciding what to do. When I got there, the technician brought the repair order sheets and the keys into the service department and he said when he restarted the vehicle to move it out front, everything came back on and the dash was working properly. That was yesterday on 5-20-2020. I'll update in a few weeks to let everyone know how it's going.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I took my 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn to the dealership and they ran a diagnostic and fixed two unrelated recall items. The dealership called me and said they would have to order a new instrument cluster ($1400). I told them I would come pick up the truck before deciding what to do. When I got there, the technician brought the repair order sheets and the keys into the service department and he said when he restarted the vehicle to move it out front, everything came back on and the dash was working properly. That was yesterday on 5-20-2020. I'll update in a few weeks to let everyone know how it's going.
Please be sure to keep us posted, @markwendy74! Our team is just a private message away if you are in need of any additional support.

Mark
RamCares

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2013 1500 had some intermittent issues with the instrument cluster and entertainment system going dark when it was fairly new, but I wasn't able to reproduce it and the dealer wasn't able to do anything about it. Several years later, I turned the truck off at the end of the driveway while getting the mail. When I went to restart it, everything was dark and I couldn't get anything on the truck to respond.
The dealership called me and said they would have to order a new instrument cluster ($1400). I told them I would come pick up the truck before deciding what to do. When I got there, the technician brought the repair order sheets and the keys into the service department and he said when he restarted the vehicle to move it out front, everything came back on and the dash was working properly.
This is exactly what I encountered. Cluster failure can be unpredictable and my experiences, along with what I've read about it elsewhere, suggests that when a cluster is on the fritz it will be totally fine, back and forth, until it isn't anymore.
I love seeing the support from corporate here, good on you guys! But to give a shout out to some independent shops too (because there are a handful) I had a great experience with these guys: Dodge Instrument Clusters - Replacement Cluster Panels, Dash Panels, Gauge Clusters, Speedometers for Dodge

It's important to add, for anyone considering any DIY repairs, cluster work is best left to the pros. You don't want to get into a situation where you're tampering with mileage. Get it done right and ge the paperwork to back up the work.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
This is exactly what I encountered. Cluster failure can be unpredictable and my experiences, along with what I've read about it elsewhere, suggests that when a cluster is on the fritz it will be totally fine, back and forth, until it isn't anymore.
I love seeing the support from corporate here, good on you guys! But to give a shout out to some independent shops too (because there are a handful) I had a great experience with these guys: Dodge Instrument Clusters - Replacement Cluster Panels, Dash Panels, Gauge Clusters, Speedometers for Dodge

It's important to add, for anyone considering any DIY repairs, cluster work is best left to the pros. You don't want to get into a situation where you're tampering with mileage. Get it done right and ge the paperwork to back up the work.
Thank you for your honest feedback, @QuandAns42! We are always a private message away if you ever happen to need any support down the road.

Mark
RamCares

·
Registered
2 Posts
The problem returned and the dash worked of and on and now it seems like it will not come back at all. I have cleaned and tightened all the chasi grounds and everything I can think of to do. I also filled a complaint on the government website to report problems.......hoping for a recall

·
Registered
1 Posts
The problem returned and the dash worked of and on and now it seems like it will not come back at all. I have cleaned and tightened all the chasi grounds and everything I can think of to do. I also filled a complaint on the government website to report problems.......hoping for a recall
Hey I’m having the exact same problem with my 2019 Laramie, what website did you report it on?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts