DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am a new RAM owner and new to to forum. It looks like a TON of valuable information and knowledgeable folks on here from what I have seen browsing through the various pages.

So I picked up my 2014 Ram Express on Saturday 6/28/2014 and it has been in the shop for almost more time than I have had it home, well after this week it officially will have been in the shop longer.

The first night while taking the dog out for a quick walk we noticed the truck lights on the speedometer were on and then after a few seconds would turned off. About 30 seconds later the same thing happened. All of the lights flicker within the instrument cluster and the radio, then the speedometer lights stay on for 10-12 seconds before shutting off and repeating the process every 25-20 seconds. This is happening when the truck is off and locked.

Took to the dealer on Monday 6/30/2014 they had it for two days and "could not replicate the issue". I brought the truck home and within a few minutes watched the issue occur but with the dealership closing and we were getting ready to head out of town so it had to waiting until Monday to go back. I called the dealer to update that the issue was still happening and they said bring it back but like I said we were heading out of town for the weekend so told them it would be there on Monday.

Sunday night I took video of the issue so there would be no more of this "could not replicate" nonsense on Monday. Luckily it wasn't needed as the issue occurred when I parked it at the dealer so I grabbed the Service Manager and a tech right away and had them witness. Got a call late Monday that the tech wasn't able to figure it out, he tested all the electrical components and everything came back ok. The issue was then escalated to Chrysler Engineering. This morning service called and the update from Engineering was to replace the instrument cluster and that could take 3-4 days.

What a mess...

Has anyone experienced any issues in their 2014 similar to this?

Thanks,
J

·
Registered
3 Posts
I haven't, but it does sound like they are on the right track. The instrument panel is an electronic module and one little short circuit could cause all sorts of problems. I would recommend you keep a list of each call you make - who you talked to and what they said - and keep every receipt for work done just in case this becomes a repeat issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New cluster installed and still the same issues. Radio software is up to date as well. The issue is back in Chrysler Engineering's hand again. They now have the tech testing every "module" one by one in an attempt to find the problem. 9 days straight, 11 total in the shop for this so far. Complaint logged with Ram Customer Care.

Its official the Ram has spent more time in the dealers shop than in my possession.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Mine will come on and go off once (that I know of) after parking in the garage and locking the doors. Mentioned it to dealer, they looked at me like I had 8 eyes, decided to live with it for now.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I had that issue on my 13 lone star with the 8.4a. After replacing a bunch of things they put in a new 8.4a and it was fixed. Mine actually went from a flicker to the truck shutting down and never turning back on and nothing at all working. No problem with my 14 express and 5.0 yet.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have witnessed mine doing what was described above after the truck is shut off. The lights and gauges flicker for a moment and then go off. never had them be off and on though? Im not sure after the updates in radio bus and whatever the other update they did will correct this but has anyone been using uconnect and shut off truck while on the phone before? I noticed after you transfer and walk away from the truck on the phone and then hang up when I came back out 5-10 minutes later my truck is rocking out the radio without the keys in it and the doors locked! It seems to be a glitch? Like I said haven't tested it with latest updates as my truck is in the shop have new heads put in it which is a whole different story. Love the truck, but seems to be a lot of early issues with the new rams? my 07 was bullet proof!

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
No issues with my '14 5.0 radio or dash, but it's in the shop getting a new engine, so I'll check again when I get it back, hopefully next week.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Curious what the outcome of this was. Just picked up my '14 Sport and similar issue is happening. My instrument lights however will randomly just stay on... Only way I can get them to go off is to start and shut down the engine and hope it works. Dealer has no idea.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had issues with my dash lights flickering and radio would power off then back on...was annoying but I lived with it. Eventually radio went to blue screen and would not come back on. (I assume lights and radio issue is related?)Took to dealer and they said radio (ra2 uconnect 5.0) would not respond. (Honestly, I do not believe they even checked anything other than trying to power on themselves...saw no signs they had looked at connections.) Said they could replace with refurbished unit for $500...just purchased another radio identical to mine which works but back up camera does not come on screen now. Does dealer have to activate the new radio for camera to work?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts