DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading through many post about intakes and now im confused on whether I should install this 63 series K&N intake or leave the stock intake in and return it. From what I can gather ppl are saying the K&N intake may not actually be better than stock because its not pulling in actual cold air and such, I plan on adding some new mufflers and such soon but this would be it for now. Any help?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've been reading through many post about intakes and now im confused on whether I should install this 63 series K&N intake or leave the stock intake in and return it. From what I can gather ppl are saying the K&N intake may not actually be better than stock because its not pulling in actual cold air and such, I plan on adding some new mufflers and such soon but this would be it for now. Any help?
They way I look at most of these aftermarket CAIs. They are more looks then performance. The factory box is way over engenieered and will support alot more power over stock. If the aftermarket CAI your looking at has the filter under the hood its just going to pull heat in, not cold air. I plan to get a amsiol dry drop in for mine. I really dont like the cotten oil type filters. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something...the pic of a 63 series K&N kit looks like a cold air unit, but it is just a pic, after all, so maybe it's wrong.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Some of us with the Gen4 are just adding a K&N replacement filter and adding another intake opening to the stock airbox with the inlet on a hose down low for cold air. With two openings and the better flow of the K&N, the stock airbox is pretty good. The OEM filter size of the later trucks has a good deal of surface area. When coupled with a high flow muffler, it's a cheap but effective combination. The parts to do the airbox can be found at Lowe's or other hardware places for $20 or less. I did a Borla 19" muffler, K&N replacement filter, and had the muffler professionally welded in all for about $200.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was looking at the 63 series as well. Im ordering a 14" magnaflow this friday(payday :)) and im getting a pretty good deal on that and can get an equally good deal on the k&n(gotta love having friends that work at auto parts stores) but after seeing that pic of the stock air box im kind of intrigued by it!? How well does that perform and any increase in mpg or anything?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was looking at the 63 series as well. Im ordering a 14" magnaflow this friday(payday :)) and im getting a pretty good deal on that and can get an equally good deal on the k&n(gotta love having friends that work at auto parts stores) but after seeing that pic of the stock air box im kind of intrigued by it!? How well does that perform and any increase in mpg or anything?
Whats the part number for the mufflers? was thinking about the 14" or 18"

·
Registered
44 Posts
To be honest im not sure. When ever i need parts or anything i just call my buddy and he orders them for me lol. ill get it from him and let you know.

·
Registered
44 Posts
ok if you find it before i get a chance to get it add it to the thread please i would like to know too actually lol but im not sure ill get a chance to talk to my buddy till tomorrow afternoon. and i know this is prob a dumb question but do you know the outlet pipe size from the muffler?

·
Registered
698 Posts
ok if you find it before i get a chance to get it add it to the thread please i would like to know too actually lol but im not sure ill get a chance to talk to my buddy till tomorrow afternoon. and i know this is prob a dumb question but do you know the outlet pipe size from the muffler?
3" inlet and 2.25" outlets on our '12's.

·
Registered
44 Posts
3" inlet and 2.25" outlets on our '12's.
Thanks for the information. Now i was looking on magnaflows website and the only muffler i found with that set up is an 18" do you know if there is a 14" or can i just do the 14" with the 2.5 outlets and just reduce it down .25"?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Thanks for the information. Now i was looking on magnaflows website and the only muffler i found with that set up is an 18" do you know if there is a 14" or can i just do the 14" with the 2.5 outlets and just reduce it down .25"?
If you're going to try to do a DIY clamps and hanger DIY setup at home, you'll need the 2.25" outlets. If you're going to get the muffler welded in, you can go with the more common 2.5". I went with the 2.5" Borla muffler and just had it welded. I think this yields a more solid setup...and gives you more options for mufflers.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Nice username. is there not much space to work in getting more airflow to the open filter?
Not sure I'm getting exactly what you're asking. The airbox is quite large, but because of its shape you have to be careful how much you're going to cut to add another inlet. There's a large post started by jmr on the 5.7 engine section that covers this mod in different variants.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I installed a 63 series K&N on my 2010 ram about a month ago and I really like it. I have notice an increase in power and just a little in gas milage. To me I think it pulls plenty of cold bc the box its in pretty well seals to the hood and the air scoop in the fender is right there beside the filter. When i first installed i took it for about a 20 mile drive and let the truck get good and heated up. As soon as i got home i popped the hood and felt the air intake tube that goes to the trottle body and it was cold to the touch so yes I believe its getting cold air. Its your truck do what makes you happy and what you like! Heres a link to mine after i installed it. Hope this helps
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=102509

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I installed a 63 series K&N on my 2010 ram about a month ago and I really like it. I have notice an increase in power and just a little in gas milage. To me I think it pulls plenty of cold bc the box its in pretty well seals to the hood and the air scoop in the fender is right there beside the filter. When i first installed i took it for about a 20 mile drive and let the truck get good and heated up. As soon as i got home i popped the hood and felt the air intake tube that goes to the trottle body and it was cold to the touch so yes I believe its getting cold air. Its your truck do what makes you happy and what you like! Heres a link to mine after i installed it. Hope this helps
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=102509

Yea im gonna go ahead and install mine along with magnaflow 18" muffler and Y pipe

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yea im gonna go ahead and install mine along with magnaflow 18" muffler and Y pipe
Yeah, I mean you already have the kit in hand. It is a cold air design. Why not use it? Since you're doing the Y-pipe also, you might get a little more advantage with that K&N setup because you're freeing up the exhaust flow a little more. I feel the modded stock airbox setup with the K&N filter and extra air inlet is probably about as good if all you do is a muffler swap. Headers and a Y-pipe probably benefit more with a little more air that these aftermarket CAI setups are supposed to supply.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got it installed tonight and test drove it around a little and so far im not sure if im fond of the sound, its pretty loud when you get on it, Im gonna need to drive it around a bit more to see if I really like it or not.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Took a longer ride just now and its actually growing on me, If you drive normal its pretty much quiet, then when you get on it, it has a nice growl to it. guess i was just stomping on it initially lol. Next up is the magnaflow 18" and y pipe.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts