DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, I'm looking into an intake for my new Ram 1500 Longhorn. I know that K&N makes one but don't like how the filter is exposed. I seen a Volant intake and like how the filter is protected and the less after market look vs the K&N. My question is, do they make one for the 2012's? I'm assuming it's the same as the 2011!?!? Also is it worth the extra $150 vs the K&N? I'm from Canada and winter can be snowy and cold which is why I don't like the fact that the filter is fully exposed. Also is there a retailer in Canada? In Ontario would be even better. Thoughts and help appreciated.

G

·
That's true ^^^^ and I understand what you are saying regarding the protection of a closed system. I've used Volant intakes on three vehicles and I liked how they fit.

Is it worth $150 more for the intake? Maybe not. They don't seem to flow as well as the open filters but if protecting the filter from hot engine air, water and debris, they can't be beat.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good points, in your opinions does an exposed filter matter? The winters can be heavy with snow near Toronto, and I would imagine it would get dirty very fast. The K&N would be easier to get for sure.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
I will completely remove myself from any debate regarding enclosed vs. open CAI.
I can only make the following claim(s) -
I purchased the Volant enclosed CAI because it has a good reputation and 'I' like the enclosed look.
The 2012 uses the same CAI as the 09-11. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input Brad. I see your from Canada as well. If you don't mind me asking where did you purchase yours from and what did it run you? Not sure if it's forum rules not to state prices. If it is feel free to pm. I would have by my rookie status won't alow me yet.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
No worries. I bought mine from AutoAnything (before they were a site supporter here). Cost me $465us shipping included. Customs required an additional $85 in extortion fees when it arrived.

If your interested in the installation experience, click on the link in my sig.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like autoanything is out of stock.

@Brad, how's the Volant sound? I've heard good things about the K&N when you step on it. Haven't read much on the Volant.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I bought a Volant for my 2012 Ram. It did not fit as they changed the fender well mount design in 2012.m I bought it assuming a 2011 version would fit. Trust me it did not fit. I sold it to a member on here who has a 2010 or 2011. I am waiting for Volant to make the change and then will get another.

Jim in Pa

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am going with Vararam myself. It looks bad azz and it's a full on ram air type intake. Plus, they designed one specifically for the 2012's.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks 65, good thing you let me know.

@hemi, I searched and couldn't find the vararam made specifically for the 12's. Where can you find them?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I bought a Volant for my 2012 Ram. It did not fit as they changed the fender well mount design in 2012.m I bought it assuming a 2011 version would fit. Trust me it did not fit. I sold it to a member on here who has a 2010 or 2011. I am waiting for Volant to make the change and then will get another.

Jim in Pa
I was about to order the AEM Brute Force because I had one on my last truck and liked the dry filter design but now I'm rethinking that idea until I confirm it would fit.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Save yourself some money by getting a K&N drop in filter and mod the airbox.
I drilled a 4" hole in my airbox and routed 4" aluminum flex pipe from it to down below the frame to pick up cool air from the lower grille area.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showpost.php?p=675964

·
Registered
22,788 Posts

Jim in Pa
Where exactly was the fit issue on yours? I ask this because I just helped a guy here install one on the 2012 and it fit as imperfect as mine did on my 2010. His was also a Laramie QC. It started with the box sitting too high, but after some semi-serious modding, we were able to get it in there and seal properly. His is an early production truck. I believe it was built in September. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes it sat too high and I didn't want to cut the box. I will wait for Volant to make one that fits properly. What's the hurry?:4-dontknow:

Jim in Pa

1 - 20 of 21 Posts