DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading that the stock intake system on the new ram is very decent. I think I am going to drop a K&N filter in the air box instead of buying a complete intake system. What do you guys think?

:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm hoping that's what everyone will say. lol I wish the VaraRam system wasn't so expensive though.

·
Registered
644 Posts
A buddy just put an air raid cai on his and lost a mpg
See, stuff like that I dont believe. I dont believe an intake will boost mileage but at the same time, you wont lose it.

You lose gas mileage due to your foot being heavier wanting to test it out and hear it all the time.

With that said, with my 18" magnaflow, vararam, and diablo tune Ive boosted my mileage from 12.5 around town to 14 w/ the 91 tune. But again, I dont believe 1 item will be the key (unless you go w/ a tuner and go with a mileage tune or something).

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
CAIs don't really do much below 3k rpm. The stock intake flows just fine for low rpm. Any of the CAI manufacturers that have posted dyno graph show this. But once the rpms start to rise and/or you have other mods the CAI is superior and the stock intake will be holding you back.

If you want to buy the drop in b/c it'll be the last filter you ever buy then ok. If you are planning other mods and you are trying to get the most hp out of your motor then I'd recommend the CAI. I wouldn't buy either of them just the hope of improved mpg.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Id say vararam, its the least restrictive, i mean if you look at that plate over the intake in the wheel well, it seems like shadiness to me personally...nothing would be cooler for the engine and less restrictive than direct ram air from the front of your truck. As far as performance differances i feel it would be the best pick personally, i was gonna get one this week but i found a trinity for pretty much the price of a vararam so i obviously chose that...just my .02

1 - 8 of 8 Posts