DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 quad cab Laramie has the integrated trailer brake controller. I have the option to set it up with either the "light trailer with electric brakes" or "heavy trailer with electric brakes". My Wildcat MAXX travel trailer weighs 7,700 lbs empty. We travel with empty tanks and probably around 1,500 lbs of additional weight making our approximate towed weight 9,200 lbs. Since there seems to be no definitions of "heavy" vs "light" trailers in the Ram owners manual, can anyone provide any insight as to which setting would work the best for me?
As always, thanks in advance for your time and assistance!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Heavy.. My trailer is 6500 lbs loaded ( no water) and i have mine on heavy with a 5.0 gain.... Seems to work well for me..

·
Registered
180 Posts
You may want to experiment with it a bit. My TT is around 3600lb loaded and is single axle but I ended up on "Heavy" with a gain of 8 to get the feel I wanted. I may have to adjust again as they break in and seat themselves since it's a brand new trailer.

I'm sure others will pitch in with more suggestions based on their experience - YMMV for sure....

·
Registered
1 Posts
This makes sense to me as well; We tow a 2 horse bumper pull trailer that is maybe 7,000lbs at its heaviest, I use Light at about 6.5 gain.

If I went closer to 8000 lbs I would try the heavy and see how that felt.

·
Registered
227 Posts
This makes sense to me as well; We tow a 2 horse bumper pull trailer that is maybe 7,000lbs at its heaviest, I use Light at about 6.5 gain.

If I went closer to 8000 lbs I would try the heavy and see how that felt.
I had no idea this even existed, today I towed my 18,000 lb 5th wheel with gain set at 10 and wondered why brakes where weak.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I had no idea this even existed, today I towed my 18,000 lb 5th wheel with gain set at 10 and wondered why brakes where weak.
I tow a similarly weighted 5th wheel, you really don't get a lot of feel from the breaks when it gets that heavy.

Depending on how long you've had the trailer, you may also need to adjust the trailer brakes. I try to adjust mine every 3k miles. With that, I still have mine set to 8-8.5 at freeway speeds, 4-5 at gas station speeds.

I have the six point levelup system, so I can lift my RV all the way up using it. I can use a small jack to get a bit more clearance under each tire. From there, I just follow this. If you're still not happy, you may want to consider upgrading to Hydraulic Disks. That's my plan for a future date.

https://youtu.be/ih1pLKHELIs?t=53

·
Registered
227 Posts
I tow a similarly weighted 5th wheel, you really don't get a lot of feel from the breaks when it gets that heavy.

Depending on how long you've had the trailer, you may also need to adjust the trailer brakes. I try to adjust mine every 3k miles. With that, I still have mine set to 8-8.5 at freeway speeds, 4-5 at gas station speeds.

I have the six point levelup system, so I can lift my RV all the way up using it. I can use a small jack to get a bit more clearance under each tire. From there, I just follow this. If you're still not happy, you may want to consider upgrading to Hydraulic Disks. That's my plan for a future date.

https://youtu.be/ih1pLKHELIs?t=53

I don't have a problem with my trailer brakes, as I mentioned previously, when towing with my Ford truck the brakes would lock up if needed. I am confident that changing the setting to "heavy electric" will result in the same which I had while towing with my old truck. The trailer has three axles, 6 brakes...not under braked.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I don't have a problem with my trailer brakes, as I mentioned previously, when towing with my Ford truck the brakes would lock up if needed. I am confident that changing the setting to "heavy electric" will result in the same which I had while towing with my old truck. The trailer has three axles, 6 brakes...not under braked.
Must be an older Ford, my friend's F350 can't stop his Toy Hauler for anything. His stays pegged at 10 with three axles.

It's just an EVIC setting, under the trailer brakes screen. I never take mine off Heavy, I just adjust the gain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
On my 2016 3500 SRW, Actuator is set at max, heavy towing and the braking is NOT good at highway speed. Does anyone know if this can be "flashed" to improve the braking? We tow a 36' 5th wheel. Hate to say it my Chevy 2500 had perfect braking.

·
Registered
401 Posts
TFL trucks did one of their Eisenhower runs towing good size loads in Colorado and first forgot to set the controller so the brakes were hot and they complained about how everything worked. So, they went and made sure everything was working and set the controller and...no difference. Almost like it didn't work, brake temps same (two or three times more than other trucks). The video is out there. This was on a 1500 as I remember.

·
Registered
227 Posts
So today I towed my 18,000 lb 5er at highway speeds, about 90 miles, I went up and down a mountain. On heavy electric I set it at 8.0 and felt like the trailer was stopping the truck. I moved it down to 7.0 and it felt like they were working like a team. I also felt that the exhaust brake was stronger on heavy. Wow am I impressed with how this truck tows, I was passing Semi's like they were standing still, going 65 mph with not much pressure on the pedal. My old 6.0 Ford would have been down to 45 mph full pedal.

·
Super Moderator
34,692 Posts
I got the ITBM installed last April (2015) and hauled a 23' box trailer back in July when my wife and I moved. It was right around 8,000lbs, I had the gain set to 6.5, and it took only slightly longer to stop than the truck does alone unloaded, maybe 20-30 feet coming down from 65 MPH. I didn't play with the light/heavy electric option so IIRC it was on light electric. I never once wished for more power.

I need a WDH :LOL:, as I'd have liked a bit more lateral stability even with the Bilstein 4600s, but IDK if the Tuftruck 1223V coils I have in the rear now would alleviate that. I was also borrowing the trailer so I need to get a WDH that clamps on rather than bolts through the trailer frame. Any suggestions? I like Curt for my conventional ball mounts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2015 quad cab Laramie has the integrated trailer brake controller. I have the option to set it up with either the "light trailer with electric brakes" or "heavy trailer with electric brakes". My Wildcat MAXX travel trailer weighs 7,700 lbs empty. We travel with empty tanks and probably around 1,500 lbs of additional weight making our approximate towed weight 9,200 lbs. Since there seems to be no definitions of "heavy" vs "light" trailers in the Ram owners manual, can anyone provide any insight as to which setting would work the best for me?
As always, thanks in advance for your time and assistance!
Try them both,light and heavy,use the one that works best with the least amount of gain,you want to be able to squeeze the brake controller rolling at about 15 to 20 mph (do not use the brakes on the truck) and feel the trailer stooping you without locking up the trailers brakes,if the trailers brakes do lock up then press the - button on the controller till the brakes do not lock up,this will be your best setting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts