DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys...

I am interested in a Limited, these are incredible trucks and dont really need it this instant, wondering how are you guys doing with initial reliability, Rams are not know for being the most realible out there... so how are these 5th gens?

Thanks!
JC

·
Registered
44 Posts
19 limited

Hello Guys...

I am interested in a Limited, these are incredible trucks and dont really need it this instant, wondering how are you guys doing with initial reliability, Rams are not know for being the most realible out there... so how are these 5th gens?

Thanks!
JC
only 2000 miles so far, solid and very fun to drive. takes up more room in the garage but fits by an inch. The upgrades would cost over 10k onsome vehicles. Waiting to see the 1st openpilot aftermarket unit setup.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hello Guys...

Thanks!
JC
Hi I'm 3 months into this and the first new vehicle where I have not had one issue. The new radio had some minor software glitches but an update a few weeks ago has resolved it. This is also the first vehicle that I can't find one thing I would change which is something in itself, bad for the aftermarket guys :i_rolleyes:

·
Registered
247 Posts
little over 1,000 miles. AC blower was replaced this morning--however, my AC was working fine to me, but had a code. I have a little knock under my left foot on certain turns (when the truck shifts weight)--they tightened up the cab/body mounts this morning, but I still have it. It happens every now and then. I'm sure we'll drill down to what it is. I'll have them check the sway bar next or I may crawl under there and tighten it. They already checked the suspension.

I'm happy tho.......I'm sure that's something minor.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My transmission was very rough in the beginning. Often shifting from 3rd to 1st...hard. Worked it'self out and smooth as butter now. I have the same noise warv3t is talking about. Can't get it to do it at the dealer but hope they can find it. It's getting more often now so maybe they can hear it. My 12" screen has been out for a week or so now. Hopefully the replacement will be here soon. 1100 miles on mine now.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have the same noise warv3t is talking about. Can't get it to do it at the dealer but hope they can find it. My 12" screen has been out for a week or so now. Hopefully the replacement will be here soon.
Seems to be. few of us with the lil knock. Even on another site. Mind does it almost every time I enter a road from out of a parking lot with a dip and crossing it at an angle. That’s where I’ll take the tech when I go back. Crazy thing is —I can’t hear it or feel it when the music is on a reasonable level and my foot isn’t perfectly in place. I find myself listening for it with music off now

·
Registered
111 Posts
Seems to be. few of us with the lil knock. Even on another site. Mind does it almost every time I enter a road from out of a parking lot with a dip and crossing it at an angle. That’s where I’ll take the tech when I go back. Crazy thing is —I can’t hear it or feel it when the music is on a reasonable level and my foot isn’t perfectly in place. I find myself listening for it with music off now
Exactly....wonder if it's because ours were running on the line at the same time.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Well, think about it this way. Same engine as before, no new stuff, both the V6 and the V8. The tranny is updated, but for the most part, it is the same. My '14 was super smooth and I would not hesitate to get another one. I am staying away from the 10 speed from GM/Ford, the F150 forums are full of issues with them. The 8 speed is/was used in many other cars: BMW 7 series, Audi 7 series, Rolls Royce, Bentley and so on. Mind you, only the first trucks were built in Germany, the rest are licensed. As far as I know, there are no known reliability issues with it. Some got hard shifts from 2-1, but I haven't heard of many failed.
I'd take a hemi any day over any ecoboost and the V6 won I think twice Ward engines awards. The frame is new and the metal sheet is new. Interior will rattle no mater what, mine did, both of them. The uconnect 8" is solid, probably the best in the industry, Sync 3 cant hold a candle to it. The 12" has a few bugs, but they are pretty good with the software updates, they will work all of them out.
The rest of components are easier and cheaper to change, should they have a fail.
The Titan is expensive and no sunroof and a lousy interior and tech. The Tundra is expensive as ****, has the worst milage and it has tech from 1984. Reliable yes, but thats not all that it is about a truck.
I am personally waiting on the new Chevy before I pull the trigger. I cant stand the look of the new GMC. The new generation has a big issue with vibrations at highways speeds that GM cant fix. The also have a new turbo, the F150 has plenty of turbos, The GM 5.3 is not the fastest; the F150 Coyote 5.0 is a great engine, but the rest of the truck sucks ass IMHO, as their quality is down the drain BIG TIME.
So here you have it. I would get a proven drivetrain with some new tech, instead of turbos and brand new untested trannys. The rest can be fixed much easier.
Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I know a lot of people stay away from the first year of a new vehicle, but based on my experience I don't feel that way. With all the inspection marks all over dad's 09 1500 I really think they made an extraordinary effort to make sure the first 4th gens were sorted out before they shipped, and dad says its the best vehicle he's ever owned.

My Ram is one of the first 8 speed trucks, first year for the 8.4" Uconnect, electric power steering, etc... and has also been a great truck. My transmission is an early enough build that its a German built ZF unit bought by Chrysler to put in my truck.

I've actually never heard of a failure with one of these transmissions, only a couple where the unit that controls the flow of trans fluid to the cooler was defective and they had overheating that caused it to go into limp mode. One of the owners has been all over social media because Chrysler wouldn't replace it for him, but the trans didn't actually fail.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Exactly....wonder if it's because ours were running on the line at the same time.

let me know what you find out, if any. I'm watching another guy who will have some suspension work done Tuesday.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Have only had mine for a week, but I have had Hemi's before and understand them. I just traded up from a 2015 ED which was great, but since I basically no longer tow, did not fit my needs. On ED Forum, long time member has had hot tranny issues from day one. A lot of people talked about the Thermal Management Unit attached to trans. FCA said all good, BS. Well he just had the TMU unit on tranny replaced, and now his tranny temps are up to 190 degrees, instead of 230 degrees. Posting this in case anybody has a tranny heat issue because the tranny in the ED and Hemi same one. Haven't heard ne funny noises yet from the front end area,. which is good, but I got the radio banging too... bad old habits...Happy with the truck except for MPG, but brand new with 500 miles on odometer, so needs a lil time, all IMHO...

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
little over 1,000 miles. AC blower was replaced this morning--however, my AC was working fine to me, but had a code. I have a little knock under my left foot on certain turns (when the truck shifts weight)--they tightened up the cab/body mounts this morning, but I still have it. It happens every now and then. I'm sure we'll drill down to what it is. I'll have them check the sway bar next or I may crawl under there and tighten it. They already checked the suspension.

I'm happy tho.......I'm sure that's something minor.
I have the exact same knock under my left foot when making slow speed turns. Usually to the left when the truck is articulated a bit (like going out of a slopped parking lot) my dealer couldn't find it, I took my torque wrench under there and all cab mounts were tight, everything I could squeeze my torque wrench onto was tight. My truck DIDNT make the noise from day 1, it started with 700 kms and has got worse. If you figure out what it is I would greatly appreciate if you messaged me or made a new thread on the 2019 section!! I will do the same if I figure it out

As side from the constant knocking noise mentioned above, my centre console squeaks terriblly if you rest your arm (lightly) on it, and you have to slam the tail gate so it latches properly and doesn't have a dash message telling you it's open, I am going To try and adjust the latch pins for that. My radio stayed on 1 time for a little while after I had shut the truck off and opened the door, it was playing music but I couldn't adjust volume or change anything on the screen, it eventually shut off and hasn't done that again.

I love the truck, these are just some of the things that haven't been quite right with mine. I also strongly dislike the fact that there is no fold flat floor under the rear seats because that means there is no storage under the rear seats.
- 2019 ram 1500 sport fully loaded. $70,000.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I think there is rear underseat storage as an option on the new ones.

·
Registered
301 Posts
No major issues with mine. Had the brakes squeal but I started braking really hard a few times this past weekend and that has gone away.

Also, have the LED ambient lighting above the glove box trim not lighting up (well it does, but it looks like it got pushed inside the trim when it got assembled, so it lights up but it can't bee seen (minor, so I'll have it looked at whenever I need to take it in for service).

And I also get the squeak on the center console when you rest your arm on it. Looks like it needs some tape added somewhere to remediate that.

Other than that, truck has been great. Had a couple of glitches with UConnect early on, but it seems to have been corrected with the latest OTA update last week.

I would def buy it again if I had to do it over.

Neurobit

·
Registered
172 Posts
minor knock under left foot

Has anyone suggested the cocktail shakers as they were called in the 1968 Camaro convertibles that are frame mounted to absorb harmonic imbalances ?

Ya I been around awhile

·
Registered
17 Posts
Give a new vehicle at least a year, that knock you guys are talking about are a reason why. Something like that will drive you crazy, waste time taking it back to dealer, they can't find it, etc., etc. I prefer others to deal with the new model aggravation before I try one.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mine has been a nightmare! I took delivery of my special order limited on November 17. The first 900 miles were fine, except for the sunroof that whistles above 45 mph. Since then it’s been in the shop for the last three weeks. It wouldn’t start, then it quit on me after I got it back. They “think” they have it fixed now, but when I went to pick it up yesterday there was a big scratch on the tailgate. So they kept it until we can figure out if it’s getting painted or a new tailgate. Obviously the scratch is not a reliability issue. Just more time in a rental.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Give a new vehicle at least a year, that knock you guys are talking about are a reason why. Something like that will drive you crazy, waste time taking it back to dealer, they can't find it, etc., etc. I prefer others to deal with the new model aggravation before I try one.
^^^^THIS^^^^:smileup:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had the same thinking but honestly if you go through the forums for any vehicle you'll run across problems on every year, new model or not. I bought a 2015 F150 which was all new aluminum with the 5.0 and had no real problems except they replaced the whole dash 4 times due to the defrost vents warping and I also had the freezing locks which they fixed ( both common on the F150). I'm hoping my new Ram is as problem free. I must say it took a lot to get me away from the ford and so far I'm quite impressed at the quality and no doubt best bang for the buck.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts