DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that the interior lights of my 2019 RAM Laramie Longhorn don't come on when the doors are opened. At might, the interior of the truck is very dark. I asked the dealership about it and they couldn't figure out how to get the lights to turn on when a door is opened.

Am I missing something or did RAM decide that interior lights aren't necessary at night?

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
I would be going into the Radios MENU or Settings

So many things are turned on & off with the Radio, that it is no longer called a Radio, it is called an Infotainment System

That is why owners are told if they want to install an After Market radio, they should turn on all of the settings that they are going to want & shut off the ones that they don't want.
Once the factory radio is removed, you can no make those changes

·
Registered
243 Posts
Dumb question but is your selector button (near the rear window control) in the middle and your brightness knob (in the headlight control cluster) turned up? I have a bighorn and I imagine the controls would be at least similar.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've looked at literally every option available on the Infotainment screen and can't find anything that references the interior lights. I've also read through the owner's manual and again, nothing with reference to the interior lights.

I have the interior light adjustment scroll knob located to the left of the steering wheel set so that the gauge cluster and Infotainment system auto-dim when the headlights are turned on, but that scroll knob does nothing for the interior lights.

Frustrating as hell...but it's probably something that's really easy to fix. :doh:

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are switches in the overhead console to enable and disable interior lights. Check that the enable switch is pushed?

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
Rotating that knob on the Headlight switch all the way clockwise, turns on the Map Lights in the overhead console
If they don't turn when you rotate that wheel, you have something wrong

My 2016 Ram Bighorn SLT interior lights turn on when any of my doors are opened
When i close that door, the lights remain on for a few seconds & then they dim in intensity until they go out.

From the 2016 Ram owners manual, page 48

Instrument Panel Dimmer
• Rotate the dimmer control to the extreme left position to fully dim the instrument
panel lights and prevent the interior lights from illuminating when a door is
opened.
• Rotate the dimmer control right to increase the brightness of the instrument panel
when the parking lights or headlights are on.
• Rotate the dimmer control right to the next detent position to fully brighten the
odometer and radio when the parking lights or headlights are on.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Light

There is a switch in the center of the upper console. Look at it and see the picture of a light. All the way to the left turns off interior lights. The center setting has the interior lights work when doors are opened. All the way to the right turns on all the interior lights even when doors are closed.....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a switch in the center of the upper console. Look at it and see the picture of a light. All the way to the left turns off interior lights. The center setting has the interior lights work when doors are opened. All the way to the right turns on all the interior lights even when doors are closed.....
With your help, I've finally figured it out. My truck has the large sunroof and the interior light switch is located in the roof console that houses the controls for the sunroof. There is a button marked "OFF" and after pressing it (it doesn't move left or right), all of the interior lights came on and then they turn off about 10 seconds after the doors are closed.

·
Registered
294 Posts
hmm

OK, glad U were able to fix the issue. U have a higher trim than me, LOL

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I've noticed that the interior lights of my 2019 RAM Laramie Longhorn don't come on when the doors are opened. At might, the interior of the truck is very dark. I asked the dealership about it and they couldn't figure out how to get the lights to turn on when a door is opened.

Am I missing something or did RAM decide that interior lights aren't necessary at night?
Nope, you wern`t missing anything but a good dealer to fix your problem.
I would be very concerned going back there to let them work on your truck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope, you wern`t missing anything but a good dealer to fix your problem.
I would be very concerned going back there to let them work on your truck.
I should rephrase my post. None of the sales people knew how to make it work and as the service department was closed, I wasn't able to discuss the issue with them. I brought my 2016 to the same dealership several times for oil changes and they were always very professional and treated my truck like it was theirs.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I should rephrase my post. None of the sales people knew how to make it work and as the service department was closed, I wasn't able to discuss the issue with them. I brought my 2016 to the same dealership several times for oil changes and they were always very professional and treated my truck like it was theirs.

FWIW Bunkshuss has a pretty jaded perspective on dealerships

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
FWIW Bunkshuss has a pretty jaded perspective on dealerships
YEPPP, i do, i have more reasons NOT to trust them than GOOD reasons to trust them. The average JOE dosent even know that they are being screwed over. When you`ve worked as a tech in dealerships for many decades as i had, you see everything, including the thieves out there running around out in the car lot. You can always trust, but verify! I`ve never had any luck with any of them doing the job RIGHT, the first time. I`ve many times, had to walk back in to the service department and bring them out to my truck to ask them why this job wasn`t done correctly. I get the look from them with their eyes rolling and silence. I shouldnt have to look at AND CHECK everything they do to my vehicles. But if i dont, i drive away with shiddy jobs shiddy problems to deal with later, and likely having to make another appointment so they can fix their fugg-up`s. I guess they dont get paid enough to care. Or they`re just over paid idiots. If you`ve got a GOOD dealer, good on you brother, alot of us dont have that option. Its my own demon that haunts me, i use to turn wrench`s in dealerships, so i know the game, VERY well, probably to well, for my own good.

In all of my auto repair career, NEVER ONCE, did i ever have a come-back from a bad repair, or have to fix something right a second time, on any customers vehicle i ever worked on. I was fired from a dealership once, for not up selling jobs, like selling brake jobs that wern`t needed. I would watch a few of the other guys, they would sell brake jobs and never put the parts on the car. And that dealerships STILL does this today, 15yrs after i was fired from there. Sorry, but i dont do things like that. I needed my customers, they were my bread an butter. Dealerships have left such a bad taste in my mouth, and thats why i hate them all so much. The majority of them can NOT be trusted to do the job right, or worse, not doing the job at all, and you`re paying your hard earned money to them in good faith. Theres a lot of deceit in the world today... you can trust if you want, but at least, verify!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts