DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Ram 2500 SLT Crew Cab, Short bed, 6.7
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Just found a leak in the rear upper corner passenger side of cab after heavy heavy rain. Has any one had this happen or have a remedy?

My truck is a 2015 2500 6.7 with 38,000 miles on it.

Thank You,

Jake

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found all the posts right after I made this one, rookie mistake haha. Already picked up some weather stripping and silicone at Lowe’s and am going to see if that fixes it. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I found all the posts right after I made this one, rookie mistake haha. Already picked up some weather stripping and silicone at Lowe’s and am going to see if that fixes it. Thank you!
Hi @jakedelaware - Please be sure to keep us updated as you address this. If at all you end up having to work with a dealer on this, we are just a private message away and more than happy to provide further support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

·
Registered
24 Posts
Third brake light is certainly suspect, but have to ask the OP, do you have a sunroof? The dealer sealed up the brake light on my '14 1500 but it still leaked and then they found there was a drain tube for the sunroof that had some blockage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All,

Just found a leak in the rear upper corner passenger side of cab after heavy heavy rain. Has any one had this happen or have a remedy?

Thank You,

Jake
Jake, use Butol to reseal it. It’s a putty type material that does not dry out or permanently adhere so you can remove again anytime. That is what a buddy of mine that owns a body shop did to mine over a year ago and still doesn’t leak

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Third brake light is certainly suspect, but have to ask the OP, do you have a sunroof? The dealer sealed up the brake light on my '14 1500 but it still leaked and then they found there was a drain tube for the sunroof that had some blockage.
I think it was the third brake light, no sun roof on mine. I had an issue years ago with a Saab I owned with a leaky sunroof, I do miss having one to open up on nice evenings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jake, use Butol to reseal it. It’s a putty type material that does not dry out or permanently adhere so you can remove again anytime. That is what a buddy of mine that owns a body shop did to mine over a year ago and still doesn’t leak
I pulled the light, scraped off all of the old gasket, replaced bulbs and used frost king weather stripping. Then a small bead of silicone where the ends meet on the stripping. So far so good, I’ve never heard of Butol, I’m going to look it up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's bad news about the leak! Hope it's fixed.

A little over a year ago I had the opposite happen to me! I parked my 2016 in a very public lot for 10 days while I flew to California. It rained almost every day I was gone. Imagine my dismay when I got back and noticed the passenger window all the way open! I remembered unrolling it to tell the shuttle driver I'd be right there after parking... please don't leave without me! Forgot to roll it back up! :(

The prevailing wind comes from the south here and I had parked facing west so my open window was not facing the wind. Lucky me. Yes there was water but mostly on the rubber mat and the soaked upholstery dried out after a few days. And nothing was missing from inside the truck. Not a thing! Small town life, I guess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's bad news about the leak! Hope it's fixed.

A little over a year ago I had the opposite happen to me! I parked my 2016 in a very public lot for 10 days while I flew to California. It rained almost every day I was gone. Imagine my dismay when I got back and noticed the passenger window all the way open! I remembered unrolling it to tell the shuttle driver I'd be right there after parking... please don't leave without me! Forgot to roll it back up! :(

The prevailing wind comes from the south here and I had parked facing west so my open window was not facing the wind. Lucky me. Yes there was water but mostly on the rubber mat and the soaked upholstery dried out after a few days. And nothing was missing from inside the truck. Not a thing! Small town life, I guess.
That would have made me nauseous! It freaked me out a bit as I’ve only owned the truck for less than two weeks. It’s my first Ram, came from two new Silverado 1500’s prior with warranties, I’m still loving everyday with the diesel though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I too have noticed some leaking in the same area, it has shown up inside the rear window in the upper corner following car washes is when I noticed it. I'll check the 3rd light and gasket next month when I get a chance and hopefully take care of that.
Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
I too have noticed some leaking in the same area, it has shown up inside the rear window in the upper corner following car washes is when I noticed it. I'll check the 3rd light and gasket next month when I get a chance and hopefully take care of that.
Thanks
Most likely the brake light. Reportedly, RAM addressed the issue with a new type of gasket in 2016 or so, but I'm not sure. I had a new light housing installed 2 times on my 2014 RAM and the 2nd one did not leak. It manifests itself as a leak in the rear corner on one or both sides. There is a metal stiffening rib that runs under the light and ends in the corners, so the water runs to the corners when you make a turn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem with a leak that came in from the back of the cab that would allow let water to come into the 2 storage compartments under the rear seat and the rear carpet. I replaced the 3rd brake light, nothing changed. Then I put enough silicone on it to stop any water from coming in, nothing changed. Then I found out there are 2 drain tubes in the slide track for the window in the middle. They are not easy to find and if they are stopped up like mine were, you might not see them but they are there. When you find them, blow them out with a compressor or clean them out another way. The leak stopped and no water has come in for a year. 2006 2500 SLT, Heavy Duty, 4WD, Cummins 5.9, 210,000k and runs like new.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello All,

Thank You,

Jake
it is most likely the uconnect block on the roof problem is I cant figure a way to tighten it enough took headliner down and it just doesnt tighten but if you grab the block i bet you can wiggle it slightly and that is where water is getting in i have the same issue with stains on headliner

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I pulled the light, scraped off all of the old gasket, replaced bulbs and used frost king weather stripping. Then a small bead of silicone where the ends meet on the stripping. So far so good, I’ve never heard of Butol, I’m going to look it up.
Sorry, I misspelled it, it is actually called Butyl. It comes in either a caulking type tube or in a rope roll form. Look on eBay, you can get a roll of it for about $9

1 - 18 of 18 Posts