DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I’ve got a new 2019 Ram Sport with the 5.7 Hemi. I am new to driving trucks so I’m not sure if this noise is normal...the dealership say it is, but my gut says otherwise.
The truck will make a loud gurgling sound from what seems like the exhaust. It’s intermittent and happens at various RPMS and speeds. Today I noticed it for the first 45 minutes of my drive, going around 70 KM - 100 KM. It seems to clear up all of a sudden and then the truck drives so smooth and quiet, going the same speeds. Why does this happen and can it be fixed??

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Sounds like maybe you are hearing the MDS (Multi Displacement System) kicking in and out to me. That would be normal. I heard a new Gen5 ram the other day and it went into the MDS and it made a gurgling sound. MDS systems for all makes never sound good exhaust wise when the MDS activates, you are losing with the RAM 4 cylinders so of course the sound of the exhaust changes.

My old 2016 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi with a Magnaflow muffler on it you could hear the exhaust note change when it went into MDS mode. I have to agree with your dealer that the sound you are hearing is normal, it is just something every MDS engine does when it cuts out half the cylinders.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Hello all,

I’ve got a new 2019 Ram Sport with the 5.7 Hemi. I am new to driving trucks so I’m not sure if this noise is normal...the dealership say it is, but my gut says otherwise.
The truck will make a loud gurgling sound from what seems like the exhaust. It’s intermittent and happens at various RPMS and speeds. Today I noticed it for the first 45 minutes of my drive, going around 70 KM - 100 KM. It seems to clear up all of a sudden and then the truck drives so smooth and quiet, going the same speeds. Why does this happen and can it be fixed??
Hi @ChrisVantol - We kindly recommend following up with our Canadian Customer Care team for further support. You may either call 1-800-361-3700 or submit your info at Contact Us - FCA Canada to receive an email follow up.

Mark
RamCares

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Try driving with your tranny in manual mode, this will disable the MDS feature. If the sound goes away then MDS is likely the problem. FWIW don't hear anything when my 2010 Laramie goes in an out of MDS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts