DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had been told by my mechanic to run 93 because its a cleaner burning fuel and would help keep the engine cleaner. after switching from 87 to 93 i did notice a increase in gas milage and the engine had a quieter sounds to it. on a recent conversation with my dad, he said running the 93 would not be good as it is a hotter burning fuel and could cause some problems down the road. he said i should go with what is reccomended in the manuel which is 89. any thoughts on this??

·
Registered
119 Posts
id say trust the technition that goes to classes and takes courses on these trucks... a lot of things have changed over the years and the information your dad has may be outdated.

that being said, if "your mechanic" is a friend of a friend who smokes a lot of pot, and isnt someone who works at a dodge dealership, i would listion to your dad. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, i hear ya. my mechanic worked at a local dealership for 16 years, hell if i remember which one but he is very good at what he does, and his prices are awesome. my main point/question is just that the manual does say 89 and i just wanna know from others out there thay may or may not have had problems if running 93 is an issue. from listening to dad, i am for now gonna switch to 89, pending comments from this thread.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I typically run 89 in my truck, but that's mostly because 93 isn't available in my town. I have run it before and I do like it, but the price difference is a little disheartening...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wouldnt worry about running 93. I will fill up with 93 octane one out of every 4 fill ups. It will keep it running cleaner, get better mileage, and give you a little extra vroom. Todays engines with all of their tech wonders, have the capability to advance and retard spark according to the temperature the truck is running. There are obvious boundaries, but the simple rule of thumb is, if you cant buy it at a gas station, dont put it in a stock motor.

·
Registered
542 Posts
It wont hurt a thing....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, thanks for the replies. with all that being said, is there any truth to 93 being a hotter burning fuel and it causing damage to the engine because it is a hotter burning fuel?

·
Registered
430 Posts
the octane number is more a knock rating, actually 87 octane is a faster burning fuel than 93 because it takes less pressure to combust. So at equal pressures 87 will combust quicker. The octane numbers dont relate to a heat index

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
If you program it, depending on the program you will need to run that fuel. 89 is recommended stock because 91-93 will not gain you anything over 89 (if stock). You superchip or diablo it on the fun tune, then you'll want to run the higher octane.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Octane ratings refer to the fuels ability to resist early detonation (pinging). Higher octane fuels are more able to resist pinging, which means that the spark timing can be more advanced, which generally means more power.

Running 93 over 87 will not result in rocket-type boost, hotter or cooler engine temps, significantly different emissions, or a higher credit rating. It simply allows your engine to run with a more advanced spark curve. No more, no less.

·
Registered
747 Posts
As others have touched on. 93 vs 89 will not harm your engine, nor will it benifit it. The higher the octane rating the more resistant it is to ignition, it burns slower. Thats why its required for high compression, F/I, and modified engines, they either run more spark advance, or high cylinder pressures which makes it more prone to pre-detonation/ignition. Modern engines have the ability to retard timing to prevent detonation (as was the case when you ran 87 octane) but they wont advance the timing to take advantage of a higher (than tuned for) octane. I run 92 octane on a 91 oct tune only because 91 isnt readily available around here.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
As others have touched on. 93 vs 89 will not harm your engine, nor will it benifit it. The higher the octane rating the more resistant it is to ignition, it burns slower. Thats why its required for high compression, F/I, and modified engines, they either run more spark advance, or high cylinder pressures which makes it more prone to pre-detonation/ignition. Modern engines have the ability to retard timing to prevent detonation (as was the case when you ran 87 octane) but they wont advance the timing to take advantage of a higher (than tuned for) octane. I run 92 octane on a 91 oct tune only because 91 isnt readily available around here.
I have never seen 92 octane, only 91 and 93. Didn't think anyone bothered with the middle number.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have never seen 92 octane, only 91 and 93. Didn't think anyone bothered with the middle number.
Most of the gas stations around here have 87, 89, and 92 octane. Some only have 87,89,91 octane, and finding 93 octane is rare. So it's the 91 octane tune for me and 92 octane gas. :smileup:

·
I NEED TO UPDATE MY EMAIL ADDRESS!!!!
68 Posts
I've seen a few stations around here selling 100 octane race fuel. i believe it was close to $8 a gallon. not sure who needs that stuff but i guess someone since they have it.

The only thing 93 will hurt is your wallet!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have run 87, 89,91 and sunoco gold 94. I honestly beleive my 2007 runs and performs best on 89. I get my best furel economy running 89 on normal wear and tear and pulling the travel trailer. Here in Canada 89 usually is 8 cents a liter more as opposed to 15 cents a liter more for 91 -94 octane. I think you are wasting your money paying for the higher octane 91+. When running 89 my mds runs better as I think there is more octane to help hold the truck in 4 cylinder mode

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
I run premium for 2 reasons:
1) I always have my programmer set up for the higher octane
2) All the mods I am doing or will do in the future will require it anyway, so I am used to it now.

Bone stock I would stay with 89

·
Registered
19 Posts
id say trust the technition that goes to classes and takes courses on these trucks... a lot of things have changed over the years and the information your dad has may be outdated.

that being said, if "your mechanic" is a friend of a friend who smokes a lot of pot, and isnt someone who works at a dodge dealership, i would listion to your dad. :)

I'd post up with the first comment on this... Trust the guy who lost years of partin' to study things at a molecular level, got his engineering degree, and was then hired and trusted by dodge to decide what grade of fuel should go into the truck.... He earned his white lab coat.... I'll pay him respect:beerchug:

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have run 87, 89,91 and sunoco gold 94. I honestly beleive my 2007 runs and performs best on 89. I get my best furel economy running 89 on normal wear and tear and pulling the travel trailer. Here in Canada 89 usually is 8 cents a liter more as opposed to 15 cents a liter more for 91 -94 octane. I think you are wasting your money paying for the higher octane 91+. When running 89 my mds runs better as I think there is more octane to help hold the truck in 4 cylinder mode
I don't think the octane rating has anything to do with MDS, but I agree with you on the rest. The truck was designed and tuned for 89 octane so it will run the best on that fuel octane.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts