DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,781 Posts
Heck, all the roads just West & out of site of I-15 were like that when we were delivering equipment to build one of the High Schools
We were driving on dirt for what seemed like miles, i was quite happy when we got back to the pavement closer to Las Vegas.
Now that area is pretty well built up & has paved roads

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,244 Posts
That video is top notch! Been following your channel for a while now, you really stepped up your game with the drone coverage. Hot damn!

Now I'm cringing at the thought of the rock chips on those rocker panels.

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
Guy told me he did off roading, funny thing is when we got to his off road site it was just a dirt road? This is just off paved road roading right?
https://youtu.be/3K48Zk7DEoc
There are a lot of folks who don't like the term "Off-Road" because there's something of a battle going on for access to public lands, a lot of very difficult roads (which are still legally roads) get closed off permanently and then nobody can realistically visit those places. That's why you'll usually see me using the phrase "Off-Pavement" even when I'm talking about very serious terrain that requires 33"+ tires, locking differentials, skidplates, etc. and saying "Off-Road" generally only when referring to tooling around on somebody's private property with permission.

One example of that is NF203 aka Cherry Creek Road in Arizona. The northern half of that road past the last water crossing becomes very challenging for any stock vehicle, pretty much impassable to vehicles that aren't in the class of 4runner/Wrangler with improved tires really. But legally it's still a road. Or, it was until it got closed last year. Legally the Rubicon, and Dusy-Ershim, and Fordyce Creek - the big serious 4x4 trails in the Sierra Nevada range - are all roads.

Because driving off roads on public land is illegal. Roads that are extremely difficult for most vehicles, like Rubicon are still roads legally, with recorded numbers or names. 100% legal to drive on, and distinct from just randomly cutting off across the forest which would be illegal - and which wouldn't do any favors for those of us who would like to continue having access to our public lands that we share ownership of through being taxpayers.

·
Premium Member
32,781 Posts
Places like the Glamis Dunes in Imperial County California are quickly becoming smaller
It seems some Gov't Agency wants to keep some kind of brush from disappearing
So they keep closing off more & more area from Off Highway Driving

·
Registered
41 Posts
The term "dirt road" covers a lot of ground. My town maintains many dirt roads, plowing them in the winter and keeping them passable year round, but there's also some termed "Class VI highway" (former "dirt roads", abandoned by the town for 5+ years), as well as logging roads which are usually technically on private property, but not barred from public access at your own risk.

The deed for my property includes a century-old clause stating that my deed is "subject to the rights of others to 'Woods Road'". I've walked through my woods and examined old maps, and still have not discovered where this road ran.

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
Places like the Glamis Dunes in Imperial County California are quickly becoming smaller
It seems some Gov't Agency wants to keep some kind of brush from disappearing
So they keep closing off more & more area from Off Highway Driving
It's not just the government, it's cowardly people like this constantly trying to close other areas to get their own form of revenge on a society that in their little minds has wronged them. http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forum...creek-road-fr-203-permanent-closure/?p=666033

If you've ever been to a public hearing about these closures, generally the folks in favor of open access are outnumbered by a bunch of busybodies who just think nobody should be allowed to enjoy things differently than they do.

They use false equivalences like one guy tearing across country (entirely off any designated route) as an excuse to close the remaining, legally designated routes. The wilderness is "preserved" until some mining or logging interest buys their way into taking over our public land. It's depressing, but that's just how it goes over and over again :(

·
Registered
401 Posts
Tizer Lakes in the Clancy MT area is one of very many of the type of "legal" roads you can try in our area. They are everywhere. They provide me with all the fun I personally want. And if you want more, that's here too. I promise you a Subaru ain't doing Tizer lakes "road."

I would love to see someone try to buy a two wheel drive truck in Montana. They do NOT sell them here... Oh, I suppose you could order one but I'm pretty sure the dealership would look askance at you and probably make you sign a waiver of liability...

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
I call it trailing and it's mostly what I do. Those roads take you to mine trails, ghost towns, petroglyphs, places to hunt and fish and all kinds of cool stuff in the desert and mountains. Cool stuff.
Also, if you really want to do more than this then you should invest in a specialized vehicle for it. Even this type of trailing can beat the hell out of your EDD. I don't go on trails harder than 3 because I can't afford to keep replacing beat up stuff.

·
Registered
414 Posts
You should experience eastern Maine roads,,,Fred Flintstone designs and maintains them. I love it! The upside of this is,,,I'm getting really good at fixing stuff!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Off-roading is just a general term but is usually understood by those that are familiar with driving off-pavement. If one dosen't understand they should learn how to properly enjoy off-pavement driving. By properly I mean follow the rules and respect the off-road community, learn trail etiquette. Too many roads in the desert Southwest are being closed because of the kind of behavior demonstrated in the video in the first post. There are armies of environmentalist doing everything possible to close the entire desert. Please don't help them by driving like that. If you can't resist then go to an OHV area (which was clearly not the case in the video).

In the experienced off-road community spinning tires is a sign of lack of skill, donuts are a sign of ignorance. stay on the two-track and develop your skill level. It is obvious that the two trucks in the video are not experienced at all. Simply look at their wheels/tires. I see so many like that these days and it just makes me laugh. If one really knows about driving in the dirt you want all the rubber sidewall you can get. Just Google image "trophy truck". Their wheels are as small as possible while still allowing room for some brakes discs.

Please tread lightly and don't screw it up for all of us.

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
After the next rain no one is going to know you did donuts in a wash. It's the mountains of garbage that dirtbags leave out there that is the concern.

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,244 Posts
After the next rain no one is going to know you did donuts in a wash. It's the mountains of garbage that dirtbags leave out there that is the concern.
That is a friggin' shame right there. Not only ruins the availability of off roading for us, but also shows the true lack of intelligence and respect of some people. :doh:

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
That is a friggin' shame right there. Not only ruins the availability of off roading for us, but also shows the true lack of intelligence and respect of some people. :doh:
You nailed it.

·
Premium Member
32,781 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts