DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently placed an order for some 4" LEDs to put behind my grill and I am curious if I can use these things while driving on the highway at night or in other populated areas, legally.

My main goal is for all the back roads out by my place since every creature with 4 legs likes to wander in front of my Ram, but our stock lights suck so if its legal to drive with these new LEDs on then I am going to do it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261121147910

Also, I want to upgrade my 12' Sports headlights to HIDs and I can't afford the full Retrofit right now, so in the mean time I suppose my quad projectors need to be filled with 6K HIDS. Can anyone direct me to where I can get some 55w 6k and fogs? I dont know what I will need.

Thank you! I will post pics when this is done.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If the box says off road use only.... Go with that :) if your the only one on the road and turn them off for oncoming traffic you should be fine

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Think of them as a second set of high beams, shut them off for on-coming traffic.

·
Premium Member
32,781 Posts
Many States only allow 4 lights to be on at a time facing the front & then there are restrictions to go along with doing that

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Last night a I drove by a jeep on a main road that had 6 VERY bright lights on. Two headlights, two off road lights on front bumper and two off road lights on his mirrors. Talk about frigging bright... I almost drove off the side of the road. Bleeding idiot.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, common sense then. Currently, I hardly even use the fogs since they're useless, light wise. The stock headlights are pretty useless for that matter too, short of letting me know if there is a pothole.

Now, to figure out what to do about the heads and fogs. Gotta do HIDs in the stock halogen projector, but dont want to blind everyone.

·
Registered
111 Posts
HIDs in halogen housings will just fan the light blinding people but at the very least you could aim them down as much as possible

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I am the asshat that runs 4 HID's upfront on all back roads and quiet roads at night. 6k Hid headlights and 10k Hid fogs. On busy streets, I will turn them off sometimes.

Also curious about those leds. Got any pics of them on your truck?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
i have 2 halogen driving lights behind my grill..i used my hibeams to trigger the relay, so they automatically go off when i flick my lows back on. those arent all that great anymore with the morimoto mini h1's hi beams and 55watt 5000k hids :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am the asshat that runs 4 HID's upfront on all back roads and quiet roads at night. 6k Hid headlights and 10k Hid fogs. On busy streets, I will turn them off sometimes.

Also curious about those leds. Got any pics of them on your truck?
I haven't got them installed just yet- waiting for it warm up a bit and I am going to plasti dip the chrome slits on the grill and do these lights at the same time. If I can find an HID solution/new headlight in the meantime, I will add that to the list. The obvious and most expensive option is retrofit, but I dont have that kind of money right now and probably wont for awhile, so should I just do an HID swap out in my OEM lights or go to Spyders? They seem pretty affordable but I hear the 35w kits and their projector leaves a lot to be desired.

What are you guys running for your Heads and Fogs, assuming you didnt retrofit anything.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I haven't got them installed just yet- waiting for it warm up a bit and I am going to plasti dip the chrome slits on the grill and do these lights at the same time. If I can find an HID solution/new headlight in the meantime, I will add that to the list. The obvious and most expensive option is retrofit, but I dont have that kind of money right now and probably wont for awhile, so should I just do an HID swap out in my OEM lights or go to Spyders? They seem pretty affordable but I hear the 35w kits and their projector leaves a lot to be desired.

What are you guys running for your Heads and Fogs, assuming you didnt retrofit anything.
My headlights are just a used set I bought with the housing painted black, gonna paint my original headlights too because these aren't perfect but they were $50 lol. Just threw in 35W HID's from a local performance store. They had halogen running lights/high beams. They don't work anymore so its HID's all the time :LOL: Been running for about 15 months so far.
The Fog lights I bought in a kit off Ebay. My truck never had fogs, so I just bought the fog light set up and the kit came with 10k HID's. So I decided to throw them in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts