DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a beat up Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 1999, 5.2 liter (318 cu.in.) quad cab. Took it to my usual shop, twice, for a new transfer case, 4 ball joints, front axle U-joints, rear drive line U-joints. First visit was for the mentioned necessities, the second time was returning for the transfer case. The problem isn't going into 4x4, so much as the clunkgrind with a forward jump coming out of 4x4. My 1995, though older, goes into and out of 4x4 rolling forward up to 45 mph and without doing a "transmission/transfer case dance" with the 4 high, though has the older model 'L' stick. This being my youngest 4x4, with the straight configuration stick, I would expect with the new transfer case similar results, and SMOOTHER. My shop is telling me that to come out of 4H, my trans needs to be in N, than transfer moved to 2H, than trans put into reverse until the hubs disengage, than I can stop, go into drive, and resume regular operation. My manual says I can be moving up to 55 mph and shift between 2H and 4H as I wish (accounting for all the precautions such as cold weather, dry pavement and such). Can anyone clue me in as to what is happening here? I'm upset to need to take her back a third time for this and I'm scared to try 4L!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts