DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Figured I could ask some of this with a poll: On a 2019 Big Horn 4x4 with 17k miles from Enterprise.

• I'd be more worried about the computer and first year redesign inside.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Hemi has issues, if the lifters click watch out... Never know how renters drove it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019, 1500 Big Horn 4x4 Crew Cab
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm buying a truck for an eventual RV. I selected the RAM because I liked the size of the Crew Cab and how nice it is inside. Also, seemed to have a better reputation for towing. BUT seeing all the posts about the HEMI design and the lifters/cam oil issue.... Wonder if I should look more at something else? (dangerous 1st post on the RAM forum(z)?)...

I have a used one coming in that I haven't signed the paperwork on - 2019 1500 Big Horn 4x4 Crew Cab rated to tow class 2F (vs 2E) with 18k miles coming from Enterprise rental ... I think $35k is a decent deal for the truck, but hearing about the engine concerns me... Do I reconsider?

Has the 2019 seen any engine changes? Is the lifter ticking at start up a sign of damage - telling me to "run away" from the deal? Are there oil suggestions? Should I be more concerned with 1st generation changes on the interior and the computer/touch screen console?

I will keep cruising the forum threads here (also what is the difference between this and the ramforum.com? I assume that one is sponsored or more inclined to laud RAM?)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought an enterprise 2019 rental also. I believe they only sell SLT to rentals. Gave 23k for it in May of this year 2020 during virus lockdown and now I see the same truck for 27k to 28k. Got a 2,000 warranty though just in case. Every truck can have issues even though most don't. Friends 5.3 Vortec Silverado blew up at l05k miles right out of warranty. 6k for a new engine.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm not sure what towing 2F means in weight but the sticker on the truck drivers door sill will give you the max towing weight for the truck. That will include the complete load and passenger totals. I'd be much more worried about what you plan to tow and keeping it comfortably inside the trucks capability than the Hemi it comes with.

Don't forget 1/2 tons can be pushed around by the trailer in windy conditions much more than it's larger brothers. Be sure it is what you need because it will limit trailer size and weight in the future.

·
Registered
868 Posts
You read about the bad ones and not so much the good. Look at the news. You hear all the bad things people do but seldom hear about the good folks do. So when their car breaks they are angry and express that. So for your purchase it sounds good. Its your money so if you think the price is right go for it. If your a bit leary of motor, get an extended warranty. Here in Fla used trucks bring a premium.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, I'm buying a truck for an eventual RV. I selected the RAM because I liked the size of the Crew Cab and how nice it is inside. Also, seemed to have a better reputation for towing. BUT seeing all the posts about the HEMI design and the lifters/cam oil issue.... Wonder if I should look more at something else? (dangerous 1st post on the RAM forum(z)?)...

I have a used one coming in that I haven't signed the paperwork on - 2019 1500 Big Horn 4x4 Crew Cab rated to tow class 2F (vs 2E) with 18k miles coming from Enterprise rental ... I think $35k is a decent deal for the truck, but hearing about the engine concerns me... Do I reconsider?

Has the 2019 seen any engine changes? Is the lifter ticking at start up a sign of damage - telling me to "run away" from the deal? Are there oil suggestions? Should I be more concerned with 1st generation changes on the interior and the computer/touch screen console?

I will keep cruising the forum threads here (also what is the difference between this and the ramforum.com? I assume that one is sponsored or more inclined to laud RAM?)
I bought a 2019 2500 Laramie with SNO-Prep package new for just under $35k...well they gave me $30k for my 2014 2500 Laramie ..so either way figure the math....shop around....

·
Registered
27 Posts

I purchased a NEW 2018, Ram 2500 2w/d tradesman 6.7, 4dr short bed last October for
$35k OUT THE DOOR. For the same exact reason you are talking about. We have a 2020 5000lb. travel trailer to tow. This pulls great, decent mileage, roughly 15mpg. Pulling the trailer. Do NOT settle for a gas job..!!., everyone talks a good story the hemi is lazy
amd will have NO RESALE., !! and that is a FACT.

·
Registered
10 Posts

First, I would recommend using a special oil with molybdenum, Lucas makes a 4-stroke cycle racing oil with it. Second, I'd STRONGLY suggest disabling the MDS as it has caused broken timing chains. They claim to have fixed it, but Band-Aids don't cut it. Only way I would trust it would be with a Manley aftermarket racing timing set. The stock chain is REALLY tiny & the tensioner is a spring loaded floating unit without a ratchet system to keep the slack out.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Hi Sully, Two-plus years ago I owned a new 2017 Ram 1500 Hemi Laramie Crew Cab with the six-foot bed. I was told by the dealer that this truck could easily handle 8K lbs. of total trailer weight. When I hooked up my travel trailer to this truck, the springs bottomed out to the stops. I was enormously disappointed and called my dealer. The service department said the salesman should have told me that for that weight of trailer I should have accounted for the 800 lbs. of tongue weight and had airbags put on the rear. So I spent almost another $2K and that fixed the problem. Then on about our third trip we headed from Oregon to Arizona for a month in the winter. When we hit the first pass, the Siskiyous on I-5, the truck could not climb past 45 mph. It ran OK on flat ground but would never go into overdrive and I ended up getting about 8 miles per gallon. I still had two more passes to get over in California, Cajon and another 4K footer I can’t remember (not the Grapevine) right now with the same climbing and heating issues. When I got back home to Oregon I sold my truck and bought a new 2018 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab with the big Cummins 6.7L. Needless to say, it handled tongue weight (no airbags, the springs dropped about an inch) and mountain passes like they were nothing, and I averaged 12 mpg in the process. The big brother 2500 is a whole lot more truck with the exact same interior. Moral of the story, do what you are doing and seek some advice from experienced and serious “towers”.

·
Registered
16 Posts

You can get their 8 year, Unlimited Miles warranty if you're concerned about it. I got my 2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab in June of 2018 with 30K miles for $25,900, and that was when they still had the Mopar Lifetime Warranty with unlimited miles with the $100 deductible. I've put 35,500 on the truck, and have not had to use the warranty yet. It's a shame they did away with the Lifetime warranty on Nov 30, 2018, but the 8 year unlimited mileage one is the way to go especially if you're going to drive the shit out of it. Call Mopar Direct.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also added these air bags. Mechanic installed them for $150. They make a world of difference with the trailer sag.

·
Registered
2017 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB
68 Posts
2500 CTD is the way to go with what you’re towing and where you’re going. As you already found out the 1500 was ok for shorter trip but......

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a 2011 with a diesel V-8 and it was great for towing 13,000 lb trailer load and being able to accelerate fast enough to merge with traffic getting on to a freeway and for passing slow moving tractor trailer rigs going up a steep grade. But it also cost me an additional $6000 for the truck and I pay as much for diesel as I would for premium gas and I pay twice as much for oil and fuel filter changes and have two batteries to replace and concerns about replacing the expensive NOx sensors and DEF problems when on long trips (3 trips interrupted with DEF and NOx and programming issues).

My truck has 3.73 gears and this works well with the diesel engine that provides maximum torque at only 1700 rpms. With gas powered trucks I have always made sure to get ones with a 4.10 or lower gears so I can keep the engine in its peak power band range. With the Ram V-8 gas engines it is at 3800 rpms and if one has 3.21 gears the engine is less likely to be operating inside its optimum power bands when towing.

For me the benefits of a 2500 class truck are worth the price (true cost of ownership) for tow loads greater than 10,000 lbs. where the stronger frame, better brakes, better engine and transmission cooling (with the tow package) and higher capacity alternator, and having leaf springs are important. The 1500 trucks with the coil springs make for a more comfy ride but adding to payload capacity is a problem.

My 2500 diesel came from the factory with a payload rating of 2800 lbs and I added a double leaf set of SuperSprings for $445 and gained an additional 1600 lbs of payload capacity in an hour. The axle is rated for 11,000 lbs so the srpings and rear tires were the limitation in terms of payload capacity. I also upgraded the tires to gains 1100 lbs of tire load capacity at the rear.

The bonus with a diesel engine and this was important to me, is that I can get 25% more miles before I need to find a gas station (that hopefully sells diesel) and when towing this is a blessing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the replies and advice. I think we are looking at TT under 6,000 dry weight. basically 28-26' bunkhouses, though I still need to consider the weight we will add with payload and gear.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
First, I would recommend using a special oil with molybdenum, Lucas makes a 4-stroke cycle racing oil with it. Second, I'd STRONGLY suggest disabling the MDS as it has caused broken timing chains. They claim to have fixed it, but Band-Aids don't cut it. Only way I would trust it would be with a Manley aftermarket racing timing set. The stock chain is REALLY tiny & the tensioner is a spring loaded floating unit without a ratchet system to keep the slack out.
Holeshot, how do I know if mine has the MDS system? Did not think it was standard. Guess I can take it to the mechanic and see? We have a week/200 miles to decide we like it. It doesn't come in until the 2nd. Saw a google search saying to look at the 8th VIN digit, but mine was a T - not a 2 or D...

·
Registered
685 Posts
Holeshot, how do I know if mine has the MDS system? Did not think it was standard. Guess I can take it to the mechanic and see? We have a week/200 miles to decide we like it. It doesn't come in until the 2nd. Saw a google search saying to look at the 8th VIN digit, but mine was a T - not a 2 or D...
Why would you want to spend $40-50K on a new truck and then do several things that will void your warranty so if you have a problem it's on your dime not Ram's. BTW, Ram designed the truck, warranted the truck and also sells an extended warranty to cover anything that breaks for the life of the extended warranty. I suspect they have some knowledge of what make them operate successfully under the conditions they are designed to handle. I know they do things in the name of regulations that they wouldn't do if they weren't there but the regulations exist and all manufactures use essentially similar technology. You can get a clunker from anybody including Tesla that essentially hand builds cars. Buy it, drive it and let Ram fix it. If it's a lemon there's ways to handle that too.

Buy the dang truck, take it to the dealer for service using his discounts and drive without worry. If you modify it, then worry your arse off.

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
That makes no sense at all And I sure like to know what you base your advise on.

I know that some Hemi engines tick a little bit on initial start up because the lifter(s) bleed down, it does not affect engine longevity. The MDS is not a trouble prone system, nor are there a lot of timing chain issues.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
You should never use a racing oil in a street engine, they are complete different formulas, the race oil is not designed for long term street use. I suggest running a true Group V synthetic oil like Redline or Motul that way you have the very best protection. Group V Ester synthetic oils are a positive polarity and will cling to metal surfaces instead of just draining off so you can avoid dry starts where most engine wear occurs.

I run Redline Group V synthetic oils in all my engines.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Find a used gas 6.4(nothing less) 2500 18’ $35K 35K less miles/I got one
2500 better for future RV towing

1 - 19 of 19 Posts