DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is swapping my 5.2 for a 5.9 worth it if they are the same mold for the blocks? Is I do a total rebuild on both motors wouldn't it b the same out come because the only thing that would b stock is the block or is there something I'm missing? So like upgrading head,stroking the motor so pistons crank cam rods rockers intake throttle body?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
If built identically the 5.9 will have more power at lower rpms simply because it has greater displacement. With stock heads, otherwise identically built 5.2 and 5.9 will hit 400hp. The difference is the 5.9 will have more power, especially below 3500 rpm. Move up to higher flowing heads and the 5.9 will again have more power due to greater displacement. Stock heads are the choke point if you're shooting for more than around 400 hp at around 6000rpm.

·
Registered
754 Posts
You can build a 5.9 for the same amount of money you would spend to build the 5.2 and come out way ahead. The only issue is the cost of finding the 5.9 vs the 5.2 you may already have. You can buy a new 5.9 long block direct from MOPAR and add all your 5.2 stuff to it. IMO you are way beter off going 5.9 if it is time o change engines

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok cool cuz I found a 5.9 with 70,000 miles for 500$

1 - 5 of 5 Posts