DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing some research, I'm seeing many people saying the 2012 6.7 is okay, but not what a diesel used to be and not what it should be. Mods are required to really make it come to life. Is that true? Have the emissions standards rendered them weak by comparison to what they used to be?

I'm really trying hard to make a good decision between a diesel and a Hemi, and I don't mind paying more for the diesel and keeping the truck for five years or so...but not if the current Cummins isn't all that great.

·
Registered
19 Posts
tow days ago I traded in my 2011 crew cab with a hemi for a 2012 2500 crew cab diesel short bed with the Ram box. I needed a 3/4 ton for towing a larger toy hauler that I'm in the market for.

I only have about 105 miles on it right now but to be honest I'm very disappointed with the performance of the 6.7.

My Hemi seemed quicker to accelerate at all speeds. The diesel accelerates pretty fast but seat of the pants feels slower than my Hemi. That 1500 hemi through you back into the seat much more than this diesel does. I know the 2500 is much heavier than the 1500 but with 800 lbs of torque vs 400 it should scream.

I can't even get the tires to break loose on pavement.

I was looking at 2 identical trucks, one with the hemi and the other with the diesel. The diesel was 9K more than the hemi. I thought the resale would be better with the diesel so i bought it.

The mileage on the diesel driving the same exact route to and from work, is actually about the same as I was getting with the 1500 hemi, around 17 mpg average. It's mostly rural driving with a short 2 mile freeway stretch. With fuel cost so much higher for diesel, I'm wondering if I made the wrong choice.

I'm actually thinking that the hemi with 4.56 gears would be the better choice for me. But it's too late now. I'm hoping to make things better with a programmer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I forgot to mention one thing. The first 70 miles or so I was actually only getting about 14 mpg on this route. I was sick to think I just spent all that money for worse mileage. But as I drove more the mpg's increased to the 17 that I'm getting now. And that is all based on the computer, I don't know how accurate that really is.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Seems the 6.7 is getting 15-16 mpg max compared to 20-22 that the old 5.9 got. Also if you dont plan on towing heavy with the truck on an almost daily bases its not worth the hassle. The emmisions will clog up on you and you will get doggy performance and it may even go into limp mode until you get it to a dealer for service. I've never owned a 6.7 but I know many who do.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the honest feedback. It's a lot like what I've heard elsewhere. Guys that are simply "diesel or nothing" seem to laugh at the Hemi...it could never impress them, all numbers and performance aside. Guys that have an open mind and are willing to try both seem to think the Hemi is the better value for regular drving and towing. It seems to me that the Hemi is more than capable in most towing scenarios. For heavy or extreme towing, get the diesel. That's what I'm hearing.

FYI, I had a 2011 2500 Hemi, got about 15 - 16 highway unloaded. I ddnt pay much attention to in town driving. I know that's bad, so what's the point I figure. Most of my miles are highway miles.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would agree with what most are saying. If you don't tow heavy or often, there's really no need for a diesel. Personally though, if I only had one vehicle, it would be a diesel. The new 6.7's aren't a bad motor. Yes, emissions has them tuned down and mileage isn't great, but deleting the emissions junk isn't that hard or expensive.

As far as performance, you do need a tuner and deletes on the new 6.7's to really open them up and increase mileage. My 2000 5.9 gets great mileage. However, I've got a thousand dollars in it to even get it up to the 6.7's horsepower.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the honest feedback. It's a lot like what I've heard elsewhere. Guys that are simply "diesel or nothing" seem to laugh at the Hemi...it could never impress them, all numbers and performance aside. Guys that have an open mind and are willing to try both seem to think the Hemi is the better value for regular drving and towing. It seems to me that the Hemi is more than capable in most towing scenarios. For heavy or extreme towing, get the diesel. That's what I'm hearing.

FYI, I had a 2011 2500 Hemi, got about 15 - 16 highway unloaded. I ddnt pay much attention to in town driving. I know that's bad, so what's the point I figure. Most of my miles are highway miles.
That's pretty much the way I see it. I'll try the diesel for a few years just because I've always wanted one and I have friends that won't drive anything but diesel.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The whole reason for coming up with the 6.7 was to make up for the power loos with the emissions stuff. I'm actually trading mine in for a 1500 Sport, just not worth it to me. If ya want, I'll sell ya mine so I don't have to trade it.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I don't miss my diesel AT ALL.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Im new here but ill chime in. I just purchased my 2012 2500 HEMI with 3:73 gears and love it. i tow everday but only for very short trips 100 miles or less and i just got rid of my diesels because i wanted the new ram but personally i could not justify buying a 45K truck that doesnt get very good mileage unless you delete it right away and void your warrenty. Though i have only owned the truck a week and have 1,000 miles on it already im very happy with my decision to go with the hemi. apples to apples if your not towing 10,000+ everyday all day i would stay with the hemi. Dont get me wrong as i will have a diesel again as my heavy hauler and "toy" rig right now with fuel prices rising i steered away from it mainly for that aspect. hope this helps

·
Registered
84 Posts
the 5.9 cummins was a much better engine. If I had a 6.7 the first thing I would do to it is cut that diesel filter off the exhaust and let it breathe...

·
Registered
15,702 Posts
my take, the epa has ruined the diesels. to the op, check out the diesel section, there are some owners that are very happy with the 6.7.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i traded in my 09 ctd for my new ram 1500 hemi.the 6.7 diesel was a strong engine after i took off the dpf and egr,plus u need a programmer to fool ur computer.about $800 total.i just didnt haul my overhead camper much so i traded and im super happy.with the emissions gone on the 6.7 u lose warranty but gain about 2mpg which i get the same empty w/hemi.carrying the 10 1/2 ft camper 4000#+ going speed limit 75 got 15.5 mpg hand calculated with the diesel so i imagine the hemi would be much less.but 5 or 6 times a year hauling didnt justify the diesel for me.good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought my 2012 2500 with the Cummins and a 3.42 rear 10 days ago. Mileage is about 14 and over 15 on flat - about 1,000 miles so far and getting better. Buddies say it will get 17-18. Ref performance - I have never driven a Hemi, so don't konw how that reacts. However, when I really gun this diesel the tires spin, and almost spun out once because of all that torque. So for me - it is a beast, plenty of power. Going away from a stop sign I found I get better mileage if I gun it up to speed than if I take it easy - it was interesting to discover that.
Ron

·
Registered
23 Posts
09 hemi vs 12 diesel

I've been reading these post, and i had to add my 2 cents. I've had 3 cummins diesels. Two 5.9 and now one 6.7 and I traded my 09 Hemi for it. The hemi flew and pulled hills like a ape! The fuel mileage was 15 rule city,20 on a long trip. Towing on hills 8 or less, towing on a flat 12. The Diesel is not a race car so why would you expect it to fly like a gas engine. I tow from CT to FL so lots hills on 81 with my fifth wheel, so the Diesel will out last that type of use. The diesel also needs about 10 to 20 to break in aka losen up. I'm 900 mi. into my solo trip and at 70 it got 17 on the hwy hills, and on the flats 18 at 60. My tow mileage will be done on my return trip to CT next week. I hope this helps.

I bought my 2012 2500 with the Cummins and a 3.42 rear 10 days ago. Mileage is about 14 and over 15 on flat - about 1,000 miles so far and getting better. Buddies say it will get 17-18. Ref performance - I have never driven a Hemi, so don't konw how that reacts. However, when I really gun this diesel the tires spin, and almost spun out once because of all that torque. So for me - it is a beast, plenty of power. Going away from a stop sign I found I get better mileage if I gun it up to speed than if I take it easy - it was interesting to discover that.
Ron

·
Registered
44 Posts
If your not towing on a REALLY regular basis I think the Hemi would be fine. I just purchased a 2012 1500 Hemi. I tried out a 2500 Hemi and a 2500 Cummins. I dont tow anything over 7,000 lbs and the 1500 Hemi had a better seat of the pants feel to me. When you figure the Cummins and the Auto Tranny your talking $8,000 extra.

My uncle has a 2009 3500 Regular Cab and Chassis with the Aisin Transmission and Cummins. He pulls 20,000 lbs with it, but he likes the Exhaust Brake of the Cummins and also the Aisin Trans with a 3yr/180,000 mile warranty. It really is personal preference.

·
Registered
418 Posts
My uncle has a 2009 3500 Regular Cab and Chasis with the Aisin Transmission and Cummins. He pulls 20,000 lbs with it, but he likes the Exhaust Brake of the Cummins
The exhaust brake would be a great feature if you're towing a lot through hills or like where I live, mountains. The price of gas vs diesel is minimal now. About 2 months ago it was about .80 to 1.00 difference Regular gas vs. diesel. Now it's only .50 difference and about .10 difference between premium 91 octane and diesel, and you can bet that I will really be wanting a diesel if the price of gas exceeds diesel

But like everyone says, the Hemi is more than enough for most people.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can kinda answer my own question now on this post, as I drove the Cummins today. It was my first time driving a Cummins, and one of very few times I've driven a diesel pickup, period. I was going 80mph in the blink of an eye. All shifts came fast and smooth, and I never got the RPM's above 2500. That was incredible to me. The Hemi is no slouch, but as a guy that is taking a fresh look at the Cummins with no real bias, I would say yes, it is really sweet. Now, in terms of up front cost, maintenance, long-term costs, the price of diesel, etc, I guess those are all subjects of their own. With respect to the question posed here, yes, I say the Cummins is awesome!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I feel the Cummins has an advantage in the modded performance and longevity. A diesel will run for a LOOOONG time. How many 1,000,000 mile gas engine do you see running around? lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts