DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Less than a year ago I dropped a brand new diesel engine into my '14 Ram 1500 LTD 4X4 ED but used a local shop because the dealership wanted triple the price to install it. Bought the engine from the dealership, delivered to the local shop who got in done much faster than the dealership required. The truck has been running fine...better than fine, great!

It was a bit disconcerting seeing my truck look like it had been parked in a bad neighborhood during the transfer.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Fast forward, 11 months later my Nav unit began acting all screwy, it showed me driving around in the Pacific ocean. Took it to the dealership for a $200 "computer update" and now they say the reset was unsuccessful and I need a new radio for $2K. I wonder if they're trying to recoup the coin they were denied when I bought the new engine.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Has anyone encountered this? Am I getting t-boned by the dealer? I have been calling around and learned there is a "refurbished radio option for half price" but geez...that's still a crap-ton of coin for a radio, right? I'm really kinda pissed.

Nose Jaw Collar Tie Pleased

·
Registered
234 Posts
You may want to talk to these folks about a repair of your current radio:

I have not used them. Maybe other forum members that have used their repair service can provide some additional information.

·
Registered
57 Posts
go with a aftermarket with gps it will save you a whole lot of money and issues in the future.
All the dealer wants is to make their pockets heavier thats why i hate dealing with them just like when i bought my truck they told me id get free oil changes for purchasing the truck but after i got home and took a closer look at my paperwork they charged me $1,800 for the oil changes.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Don’t know about Infotainment, but our 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee had that happen to the radio ( 8.4 ). Lost location where you were. Dealership said they tried to refresh it, but it would not work. They had to replace it. So, this does happen.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don’t know about Infotainment, but our 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee had that happen to the radio ( 8.4 ). Lost location where you were. Dealership said they tried to refresh it, but it would not work. They had to replace it. So, this does happen.
Did you pay $2K for a new one? Get a refurbished one? Had any issues with it since?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ram is having a big problem with N.T.H.S.A REGARDING THE U60 RECALL The PCM software flash regurding the cruise control not working or dissingageing or raidio not working along with the cruise control. RAM is going to be replacing alot of trucks, they are going to be doing but backs and a class action lawsuits 14-18 year Ram 2500 if you have any problems with electric and cruise control stuck you need to call Ram customer support make a complaint then call N.T.H.S.A GOOGLE THE NUMBER you will not get a replacement or entitled to lawsuit if u had an injury resulting from cruise control please call or it won't get fixed. TRUST ME THIS IS REAL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Less than a year ago I dropped a brand new diesel engine into my '14 Ram 1500 LTD 4X4 ED but used a local shop because the dealership wanted triple the price to install it. Bought the engine from the dealership, delivered to the local shop who got in done much faster than the dealership required. The truck has been running fine...better than fine, great!

It was a bit disconcerting seeing my truck look like it had been parked in a bad neighborhood during the transfer.

View attachment 141783

Fast forward, 11 months later my Nav unit began acting all screwy, it showed me driving around in the Pacific ocean. Took it to the dealership for a $200 "computer update" and now they say the reset was unsuccessful and I need a new radio for $2K. I wonder if they're trying to recoup the coin they were denied when I bought the new engine.

View attachment 141784

Has anyone encountered this? Am I getting t-boned by the dealer? I have been calling around and learned there is a "refurbished radio option for half price" but geez...that's still a crap-ton of coin for a radio, right? I'm really kinda pissed.

View attachment 141785
Please look at my post on bottom. You need to call Ram make a complaint then call N.T.H.S.A and make a a complaint Ram is in a class action lawsuit right now it's beginning get your info documented for truck replacement

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please look at my post on bottom. You need to call Ram make a complaint then call N.T.H.S.A and make a a complaint Ram is in a class action lawsuit right now it's beginning get your info documented for truck replacement
Don't see it, gotta link?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ram is having a big problem with N.T.H.S.A REGARDING THE U60 RECALL The PCM software flash regurding the cruise control not working or dissingageing or raidio not working along with the cruise control. RAM is going to be replacing alot of trucks, they are going to be doing but backs and a class action lawsuits 14-18 year Ram 2500 if you have any problems with electric and cruise control stuck you need to call Ram customer support make a complaint then call N.T.H.S.A GOOGLE THE NUMBER you will not get a replacement or entitled to lawsuit if u had an injury resulting from cruise control please call or it won't get fixed. TRUST ME THIS IS REAL
Where do we report the lack of punctuation and very hard to read run on sentence?

·
Registered
45 Posts
go with a aftermarket with gps it will save you a whole lot of money and issues in the future.
All the dealer wants is to make their pockets heavier thats why i hate dealing with them just like when i bought my truck they told me id get free oil changes for purchasing the truck but after i got home and took a closer look at my paperwork they charged me $1,800 for the oil changes.
Chevy dealership did the same to me but not as much as you. Mine was suppose to be 5 services for free as the finance guy said he was throwing them in. Bull.. $361. Cancelled the service and my gap insurance also for good measure.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The dealer may be quoting you a legitimate OEM equipment price, but an aftermarket radio with nav/GPS can be gotten for allot less than $2,000. But if the radio works well otherwise, why not just buy a real GPS from Garmin, Rand McNally, Magellan or TomTom? They are far less expensive and much better than any OEM navigation system. I've got one designed for towing that integrates with my cell phone's hotspot. It routes me around traffic, pulls in weather data and radar on its map, can play music off a memory card, and broadcast both the music and the GPS instructions thru the FM radio as well as the vehicle's bluetooth. These GPS units are both superior and cheaper than any car navigation system, and you can use them in more than one vehicle. I now believe that OEM GPS/nav units are a complete waste of money. I ordered my 2021 truck with the 8 inch screen and NO navigation. Why? Because the navigation systems FCA has been installing for 15 years are merely adequate. Another option is to get a decent aftermarket non GPS radio for about $500-900 that has a large screen and is Android Auto and/or Apple Carplay compatible. Then use Google Maps, Waze, or another APP based navigation program that runs on your phone. The maps and directions show on the radio's big screen and play thru the truck speakers.

·
Registered
20 Posts

No disrespect intended, the comment sounds like misinformation. Here is the official FCA Recall Notice:
FCA US LLC has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2015 through 2018 model year Dodge Challenger, 2014 through 2018 model year Dodge Charger, 2014 through 2018 model year Chrysler 300 vehicles.

This states nothing about a Ram 2500, Gas or Diesel!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
You can report it 2, I'm unhappy with my life so I pick on people I don't know!! There email is.. illpray4youguy,!;:?!
First, it's "their email". Secondly, it's NHTSA, and lastly I am perfectly happy with my life. Now, the person that has only posted about contacting NHTSA to complain about an recall, that person might be unhappy with their life or, they are just a bot trying to spread misinformation.

Top signs an account is a bot or scammer:
1) Poor grammar and spelling ✅
2) Only posts about one negative topic ✅
3) Hits "like" on random other topics to try to act human ✅

·
Registered
10 Posts
No it's not at all! My 15 ram 6.4 had the software flash done, the u61. In December my cruise control stuck on unable to get it to turn off, upon research this was happening to many others, so I reached out. We all got together and hired an attorney. My ram has been replaced along with the others from 2015 to 2017. This has not gone public yet but it will be soon. I'm trying to help people out giving what information I have with my experience and knowing. My wife and 17 mo baby girl were injured because nothing I did would shut it off I panicked unable to think I crashed into a ditch then got the truck into nutraul and off. The u61 did not fix the electrical system it only re programmed it with an update. It doesn't benefit me if someone else reports there truck, it only holds ram accountable for selling the public trucks with unsafe defects they patch and not fix to save money putting peoples family's and life's at risk. So again if your 14-17 Ram still is having problems after the u61 recall was done in 2018 please call Ram customer support make a complaint then call NHTSA and make a report, from there they will try to resolve by fix or replacement with ram or put you in contact with the attorney dealing with this class action. I look on forms and every other one is a electric problem with the dash area. I'm sorry it seemed like miss information but it's not. I'm sorry I'm not the best writer, I'm just a working man that had something horrible happen to my family , frist I was blown off by ram corporate until I took it to the next level! I don't want to see it happen to others. I get a tranny going or brakes but to have a part or defective product that was supposed to be fixed put ur life at risk or others after ram knew the risk and they choose to patch with a software flash not replace the PCM , that is not okay. thank you for responding tho. Sorry if I afended you in any way with my comment reply or spelling. I'm just trying to pass on the information regarding the u61 or 18v-332 recall

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
No it's not at all! My 15 ram 6.4 had the software flash done, the u61. In December my cruise control stuck on unable to get it to turn off, upon research this was happening to many others, so I reached out. We all got together and hired an attorney. My ram has been replaced along with the others from 2015 to 2017. This has not gone public yet but it will be soon. I'm trying to help people out giving what information I have with my experience and knowing. My wife and 17 mo baby girl were injured because nothing I did would shut it off I panicked unable to think I crashed into a ditch then got the truck into nutraul and off. The u61 did not fix the electrical system it only re programmed it with an update. It doesn't benefit me if someone else reports there truck, it only holds ram accountable for selling the public trucks with unsafe defects they patch and not fix to save money putting peoples family's and life's at risk. So again if your 14-17 Ram still is having problems after the u61 recall was done in 2018 please call Ram customer support make a complaint then call NHTSA and make a report, from there they will try to resolve by fix or replacement with ram or put you in contact with the attorney dealing with this class action. I look on forms and every other one is a electric problem with the dash area. I'm sorry it seemed like miss information but it's not. I'm sorry I'm not the best writer, I'm just a working man that had something horrible happen to my family , frist I was blown off by ram corporate until I took it to the next level! I don't want to see it happen to others. I get a tranny going or brakes but to have a part or defective product that was supposed to be fixed put ur life at risk or others after ram knew the risk and they choose to patch with a software flash not replace the PCM , that is not okay. thank you for responding tho. Sorry if I afended you in any way with my comment reply or spelling. I'm just trying to pass on the information regarding the u61 or 18v-332 recall
Message received, sorry you experienced this. You can stop reposting in every thread you jump on ,you give the impression of an ambulance chasing lawyer to me . Your like the repeat phone calls from people wanting to sell auto warranties .

·
Registered
35 Posts
Blah, Blah, Blah.
What does this all have to do with the original post's question about replacing their truck's radio. Really, unless you have something to say on topic, you are just propagating propaganda and junk. Turn it off. Otherwise everybody is just going to ignore you and your rants.
Thank You.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Sir,
Thanks for sharing your experience, By the way you haven't offended me to say the least. You and your family are all alive, which is a good thing. This recall pertains to vehicles with Gasoline engines. In there future they may include Diesel, which is what I have 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie LongHorn.

Some detailed info on the recall:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
FCA has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain [2014 through 2019 RAM 1500 Pickup, 2014 through 2018 RAM 2500 Pickup, 2014 through 2018 RAM 3500 Pickup, 2014 through 2018 RAM 3500 Cab Chassis, 2016 through 2018 RAM 3500 10K LB. Cab Chassis, 2014 through 2018 RAM 4500/5500 Cab Chassis] vehicles equipped with a gasoline engine and Cruise Control.

Have a Great Day.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts