DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was walking around two car lots today and I'm beginning to wonder. The Dodge dealer had over 100 trucks in my estimation. I counted 4 regular cabs. The Ford dealership I walked around probably had 50 trucks and only 2 of them were regular cabs. I'd hate to see manufacturers do away with them like they have the manual transmission with the exception being the Ram HD line.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
Likely the true reason that they are not on the lot is that they were already sold
regular cabs can haul & pull more weight
the lighter the weight of the cab & frame, the more weight you can load in the bed & or tow

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
And the shorter the wheelbase the more towing ability too. I think they have their place, just not for me

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I mostly see them as commercial / fleet vehicles, and most of them are ordered from the dealers stripped down and what not.
I don't see any of the Hemi equipped regular cabs as a good fleet vehicle. You don't want to give your young, sometimes irresponsible employee a 5000lb. vehicle with 400HP.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mike,

I hear ya. The dealership I purchased my 1500 Express regular cab from had three: 1 black 4wd, 1 black 2wd, and the silver 2wd that I bought. The majority were double cabs, with the occasional extra cab, and then the "rare" regular cab model.

coming from a double-cab mid-sized truck, I'm not missing the 2 extra doors that much since there's a surprising amount of storage space behind the seats even in my regular cab. And, with the way the storage comparments are situated, it's actually easier for me to access my "stuff" versus the old truck. I imagine there will be times when the extra doors and the second row of seats would come in handy, but I guess I'll just use the wife's SUV when those times present themselves!

I did just put some Hellwig front & rear sway bars on my truck and there is a noticeable improvement in handling. Money well spent and a GOOD product.

Best,
Daryl:smileup:

·
Registered
395 Posts
club cab

For my work truck I have a dodge 3500 dully, club cab. I do not know what I would do with out the club cab, That's where we keep the extra clothes, lunch pails and ect.

G

·
I think whoever said that the single cabs go mostly to the commercial folks is right....and also in white. Those are the basic work vehicles for normal (whatever normal is considered as being) day-to-day workloads....then the 2500 and 3500 for the heavy duty stuff. I think that for most of us who want to combing a car type ride and functions with the utility of a truck....we pick the Quad Cab to handle the utility factor as well as the ability to haul folks. This makes it much more handy as a utility and passenger vehicle. The fact that Dodge went to the coil spring rather than the leaf springs tells you they were looking to satisfy a market that wanted a car-type ride while still giving you about 10K in towing power.....although in truth, if you want to pull 10K you really need to bolster it with some air bags. It has a tendency to squat a bit over about 8 K pounds....but all in all, I think Dodge has stepped up to the plate and is finally going to give the Ford F 150 a run for its money. Ford has been at the top of the sales and marketing heap for years. Dodge has done some innovative and neat things as far as overall look, the 5.7 hemi, some of the accessories they offer. I for one, happen to like the way they've brought the various element together. I'm still a little disappointed over gas mileage when I honestly try to keep it in the ECO range, but after it''s broken it it may loosen up a bit and give me a bit more for the commute to and from tlhe RV park when I'm not pulling a boat. Bottom line...really like the truck in spite of some of the mickey-mouse grousing I see here.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well , I love my regular cab . But I am a single guy who rarely has a passenger. It's a Tradesman edition with an 8ft bed and 2wd. I really had no use for 4wd , I just put about 600lbs in the bed and with the traction control , got around just fine all winter. The tradesman edition was equiped with just about everthing I wanted. But I was able to dress it with the other stuff I wanted from the accessory catalog from Mopar. I basically got a truck I needed not what I dreamed of having. And got a great deal at the same time.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
For What I am doing, the Quad cab was my perfect fit, I sometimes have stuff to carry that I dont want in the Bed and is small enough to fit in the back with the seat up, ultimately I would of loved it if the rear back rest came down flat and made like a interior shelf to put stuff you need to carry. 6.5 box was great for me, can still carry shit around and I built a carry unit that fits in the hitch for longer stuff. All in All I think the 10000$ Incentive sold me on the truck and I am more than happy with it being a quad cab. The bigger cab sure is roomier for passengers but find most are ok with a short drive in the back of mine.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'm in the camp of only needing 2 seats in a truck. I come from a background of small S-10 type pickups and a full size GM Blazer/Jimmy as my tow/hauler. Even on the big Jimmy, I removed that silly back seat almost immediately. Now, lots of people need/want a real back seat. That's why we have choices. I installed a matching A.R.E. camper shell on my reg cab/short bed Express, and it functions very much like my big Jimmy functioned. The huge space behind the seats of my truck are very useful. People who need back seats usually need back seats for a reason. Some people, however, are into the extra space like most folks are into homes that are probably bigger than they need. Maybe this is why I can actually get 20mpg on the highway...LOL!

As to whether the reg cab will go away, I kind of doubt it. Trucks like the Tradesman level will always need a model in that build. Manufacturers need a price point model for advertising and sales lot attraction issues. And Dodge has always had a little hotrodding in the soul of their trucks, so they've almost always offered something like the RT and others, and only a putz would want a real hot rod model with extended cab design...LOL! I needed a nicely equipped, inexpensive, but powerful truck to pull my travel trailer and other big loads. No other brand could touch this Express for 20K. Add an extension on the cab, and you're up a noticeable amount in the money department. I live in Texas where a lot of people still want a truck to do a truck's work, so a reg cab isn't an oddity here.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I love my RCSB! It does me just fine. It is usually just me or one other passenger with the occasional third. However I have one of the few regular cabs in the area. I do not think they will get rid of them EVER because of fleet sales.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I love my RC SLT 4X4 rambox truck too. I have no use for a back seat as there is just me and the wife. I like the short wheelbase and think that the classic 2 door looks best on a truck. I had to order it as all the RCs stocked by local dealers are basically low option work trucks. I ordered every possible option in the highest trim level available (except for sport) but it still is not as lux as the high end 4 doors. I would have gotten Laramie trim had it been available. Didn't want the rubber bumpers or the too wide center console which eliminated the sport. Overall, I'm very happy with it and you really don't see many of them around. Seems like everyone wants a family hauler these days. I certainly hope that regular pickups aren't eliminated. That would be a sad day indeed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts