DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the oil filter on our trucks is kinda short and there is plenty of room for a bigger filter. In fact, it would be easier to get a grip on the filter if it were longer and went farther out than that drip thing.

Anyone know of a bigger filter and maybe a part number?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Most oil filter manufacturer sites have a section that defines the specifics of the filter interface with the engine...like thread hole size, thread pitch, o-ring diameter, o-ring width, etc. This along with insuring that the length of the filter case doesn't interfere with any frame or suspension parts will usually allow you to pick another filter size. The other element you have to know is whether your existing filter and the filter for consideration have any unique characteristics in the areas of drainback valves or other considerations that will positively work for your application.

All that said, filter design and quality are almost always more than sufficient for any filtering needs for the given engine as delivered by the manufacturer. As long as you're not using a substandard brand or model of filter, the OEM size should not be a problem. Of course, if you start modding an engine in some extreme manner, you might have to revisit this issue.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So basically you're saying if I change my oil at regular intervals I should be totally fine with the stock filter.

I'll accept that :) But it would be nice to have it a bit longer to get ahold of.

I wouldn't want to have a engine issue and have them see a different filler and give me grief

1 - 4 of 4 Posts