DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys!

Sorry if you've already seen this, but I was way too excited to not share it to make sure that people knew about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N5N-AYaENI

Not entirely sure what all you could use this particular application of plasti-dip for, but wow!

This could be fun...
-Kelsey

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
That is pretty awesome, huh! Carbon fiber plasti-dip. Who'da thunk?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is pretty awesome, huh! Carbon fiber plasti-dip. Who'da thunk?
I dunno, but they're pretty innovative!

I have the idea. Now I just have to figure out which truck will be my victim--I mean-- test subject!
Wait.. That doesn't sound any better.
Ah well.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Great share and really cool! Rep points for that. Man, wouldn't you like to have been one of the first investors of Plastidip, lol??

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I just plastidipped my front and rear bumpers last night actually! Turned out pretty good if I say so myself.
It is so easy to work with eh? And if you make a mistake, you can simply just start over again.

I have always thought about doing my whole truck, but I get real lazy real fast, and I would be afraid I would get tired and stop halfway through :LOL:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I've seen that plastidip video a few years ago when I found plastidip. Or hell, I don't know.. a year, 6 months. I don't even remember :LOL: But the video makes that carbon fiber look way better than it is. You reeealllyyy have to get everything at the perfect angle, make sure the matt is down perfectly. And even then, It doesn't look terrific.

IMO its cheaper/ easier to get a carbon fiber vinyl or something along those lines.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I plasti dipped my propane tank for my BBQ today... It was starting to show some surface rust, so I cleaned it up with degreaser and sprayed 3 coats on it. Stealth propane! :)

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
I just plastidipped my front and rear bumpers last night actually! Turned out pretty good if I say so myself.
I plasti dipped my propane tank for my BBQ today... It was starting to show some surface rust, so I cleaned it up with degreaser and sprayed 3 coats on it. Stealth propane! :)
Really? Where's the proof? C'mon guys, you know the unwritten rule...

If there's no picture, it never happened...

:worthless:

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Really? Where's the proof? C'mon guys, you know the unwritten rule...

If there's no picture, it never happened...

:worthless:
I feel a thread mutation coming on. :LOL: I second what Roger said though.
Pics or it didn't happen!

Thanks for the reps, starquestbd22!

Plasti-dip is ridiculously addicting. At least it is for me.

And thebestestdrummer, I'm sure it's harder than fonzie makes it out to be, for sure. He's most definitely had more practice at it than the common bear!!

I'll be waiting with Roger for pictures! :smileup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
plasti dip is just awesomeness in a can. Before duracoat came in aerosol cans i used plasti dip to dip my mathews. Anytime i get a scratch or nick on my bow i just re spray it. saved me from having to shell out 1k on a new bow to have a black one hahah!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
plasti dip is just awesomeness in a can. Before duracoat came in aerosol cans i used plasti dip to dip my mathews. Anytime i get a scratch or nick on my bow i just re spray it. saved me from having to shell out 1k on a new bow to have a black one hahah!
That's actually an amazing idea! Might have to try that out on one of my recurves... :smileup:

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
As requested. Three coats...

I did my nerf bars too... But my last can of dip didn't want to spray. So now I am wondering if I have enough on... Or if I should put a couple coats on tomorrow with a swapped can.
Has anyone sprayed additional dip 12+ hours after drying? Did it produce issues?
Once it's light out, I'll take some pics of my "dip shop" and the state of the bars.
Not the best job, but it'll do for now... Eventually I'd like to get the bars sprayed with bed liner... But $$$ is an issue.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As requested. Three coats...

I did my nerf bars too... But my last can of dip didn't want to spray. So now I am wondering if I have enough on... Or if I should put a couple coats on tomorrow with a swapped can.
Has anyone sprayed additional dip 12+ hours after drying? Did it produce issues?
Once it's light out, I'll take some pics of my "dip shop" and the state of the bars.
Not the best job, but it'll do for now... Eventually I'd like to get the bars sprayed with bed liner... But $$$ is an issue.
That's pretty cool, man! :smileup:

I've sprayed more plasti-dip on days old plastidip. People that apply it to their entire vehicle leave it on for months, then change the color by applying more on top. I don't think you'll have any issues, just remember to make sure it's even, but don't over apply so much that it drips.

As for the can not spraying, did you check the nozzle hole? if you leave them sit, sometimes it clogs with rubber. (I had a can spray straight up, and had black plasti-dip all over my face for awhile. :doh: )
Not sure if that's you problem or not. Another issue I've encountered is this-- not shaking the can enough. Can't say that's your issue though. Just something to think about.
Looking forward to more pics!

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
That's a mighty fine looking propane tank, Shadow. Great job!

Yes, like Kelsey said, you can spray over dip for, well, at least a year. I've been touching up my wheels for a year now and they still look great. Got some new tires put on today, so I'll have to either re-re-touch them up, or just peel and spray. I'll be in Florida for the next couple of weeks, so the decision will have to wait till I get back.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Yeah, I actually swapped nozzle from two other cans. When you depress, nothing happens. I wonder if I stick a pin down the hole in the can itself... Hmm...

Here are my nerf bars complete...

Anyone know if there would be an issue with shipping plasti dip across the border? My sister lives in Florida... and it might be worth getting her to buy like 10 cans of it and shipping it to me. $20/can is frigging crappy. Much rather pay $6/can!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Took that can back to Home Depot and tried the last three cans on the shelf - none of them would spray either. Even the paint department person couldn't get them to spray. Refunded.
Ordered 4 cans and a trigger from Prodip.ca... Should be here for the weekend - but will the sun?! ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts