DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I was surfing the web and came across something about Hydrogen Conversions for your car that increase gas mileage and so on and so forth. I dont get too bad gas mileage now (mainly around 15ish since I do alot of highway travel recently) I'm not complaining about the gas but if this does work a few extra MPG's wouldn't be bad, but it looks a bit like a scam and I am looking for other peoples opinions and if you know of anyone that did this. Its just mainly food for thought and I don't think I will be doing it unless it comes with great positive response

Here is one of the links that came up
http://discoverhydrogen.com/

So like I said Im just looking for everyone's opinion

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
I didn't really read that whole site, but saw it said "water to hydrogen" or something like that. I assume this is an electrolysis process to separate the hydrogen from the oxygen in water (H2O). It all sounds great.....you put the cheapest most abundant liquid in the world in your tank at basically no cost to you or the environment......you "easily" separate the hydrogen and oxygen......you burn the hydrogen which is the most explosive gas in the world so you get great power from it....oxygen is released into the atmosphere(good thing)....and you get water exiting the exhaust pipe.

The problem is that you'd need such a vast amount of water stored on your vehicle to make this feasible. At least that's what I remember reading on it. Imagine your daily driver being a fire truck and having a range of 100 miles...

Also, hydrogen storage is out of the question. It is the most explosive gas in the world, if you had a small hydrogen tank on board and got in an accident you'd level a few city blocks lol.

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
^^ You also need a lot of energy to run the electrolysis process, and you actually use more energy to split the hydrogen than you'd gain from combusting it. Basically what we're saying is these are no where near practical application and do not work on current vehicles.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
I know 2 people that fell for this scam against my recommendation. In both cases, they went very silent a few weeks after losing their money. If it worked, I 'know' both of them would not have wasted a second to 'prove me wrong'. :D

Is hydrogen a great fuel - Yes! BUT, as CdnoilRAM pointed out, it takes more to produce it then you get out of it. These miracle hydrogen systems are based on the premise that even a small amount of hydrogen added to your intake will so greatly improve combustion that your PCM will greatly reduce the amount of gas it injects.

The amount of fuel be it gasoline of hydrogen is specific, and in order for the engine to run it needs that specific amount. A small sniff of hydrogen has basically no effect on the engines operation, as it isn't enough to satisfy the amount dictated in the laws of thermal dynamics. And like the laws of physics, they 'are laws', not the general suggestion of.

Could it work....yes....but not the way it's setup
Does it work - NO!
Recommend alternative with a greater chance of positive results - tie a kite to your antenna and follow it. ;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
There's hydrogen powered cars and trucks already out there and the fuel cells are carbon-fiber...BUT they are hybrids, using hydrogen fuel cells to convert to electricity for the electric drive motors, not being used in an internal combustion engine.

http://www.hydrogencarsnow.com/vision-tyrano.htm

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you looked into this process further you would have found site's like "The hydrogen garage" who sell "cells" that have followed an inventor named Bob Boyce who has been doing this a long time.
The amount of power needed for these unit ranges from 10 to 30 amps max coming off of the alternator through the ignition swith so that the unit does not produce the gas while the vehicle cannot use it. It is not stored except in a small 1/4" or 3/8" line from the cell to the intake.
It does not separate the hydrogen and oxygen, it burns them both.
The PCM will read it wrong and dump more fuel when the O2 sensors pick up the new readings but they have a small programmer for that that adjusts the Air/Fuel ratio to take care of that and it leans out the engine when needed. That controller only costs $90. A lot cheaper than some of our programmers.

I am pretty sure I a going to try it out. I spend over $1000 a month if gas so even if I get 20% better it will pay for itself in a few months.
I will definitely let you know the results. But look around more before bashing new things. There is a lot of info out there for free...tons of it. I am still reading through but unless I find something else as I read I am pretty settled on the system I am going to go with.
I'll let you know

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
It does not separate the hydrogen and oxygen, it burns them both.
I sat at the kitchen table for the last 2 hours with a cup of H2O and a lighter, but it wouldn't burn!

You have to separate the hydrogen from the oxygen to burn it, no way around that. Simple chemistry.

I am pretty sure I a going to try it out. I spend over $1000 a month if gas so even if I get 20% better it will pay for itself in a few months.
Really....so you go through 2.5 tanks of gas a week? (that's ~65 gallons a week, and ~1,500 miles a week being optimistic on the mpg).

Not trying to knock you or "new" ideas, but this doesn't work. It's also not new.

If BS were made of brass, we'd have a band :)

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
The system you are talking about is what the 2 people I mentioned installed, programmer and all. As both are very mechanically/technically inclined, I don't for a minute believe they made any installation errors. The fact that they wouldn't even discuss this system suggests that the fundamental issue of it defying the laws of thermodynamics may have come into play.

They are very competitive with me.....very! If this worked at all, I would have expected them to 'rub this in my face', as I was quite adamant that the concept is flawed. 30A of 12V power is very little power....and will make very little H & O.

My claim is that it is not capable of producing enough H & O to make any difference to the engine operation in power, performance or mileage.

I encourage you to post the results, good or bad and not clam up on the subject should the results be less then your expectations. I say this because I can't find any positive results outside the web sites that sell the system(s), and the negative results usually consist of little more than "It did do anything for me; I must have done something wrong." That tells me the results are not there, and when people invest a bunch of hard earned $ into a scam, they are too embarrassed to talk about it.

If someone can provide real proof that a system like this is actually capable of making a marked and repeatable difference, I will be overjoyed to be wrong and the next investor into the technology. :smileup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sean,
I thought you were meaning the system separated the two gasses from each other and then fed only the hydrogen into the engine. No, that are not trying to burn water! That's just crazy. Nice story about trying to burn water, though. Sorry it took you two hours to figure it out, lol.

Yup, I roll that much a month. Mostly highway between 4 counties in my area, but the pay is good so we keep rolling.

I know it is not new stuff, but just like cell phones, they keep improving the same concept so who knows.

Brad,
Any idea of where they got the systems or which ones they were. If it is a total flop, I will let it be know.
Jon

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Sorry I don't. I did ask but they are not talking about it. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm a newbie here, so take this anyway you like. My son's friend told me about these things last year. He said his dad has a setup on one of his cars and it has about doubled his MPG. Is he lying to me? I don't know, but he really doesn't have a reason to lie to me about it. He knows the type of mileage my truck gets and suggested it as a way to improve it. I spent many hours looking into it as well, including reading a lot of discussions about it on other forums. What I found was that people who said they tried it, said it worked. It's something that I have been wanting to do, but never got around to it yet. One could build one for about for about $50. As far as why the auto makers don't put them in cars, easy. Too much maintenance for the average car owner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts