DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a set of OEM steps today and while double checking parts numbers i came across this tool (MP-82212003 M8 Riv-Nut Collapsing tool) and was wondering if it is really needed.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
You can find these rivnut tools in many catalogs just make sure it has the correct adapter for the thread that you need. I picked up mine from Napa years ago.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
maybe im just thinking about it all the wrong way but the hardware i have that came with the steps you can get a wrench/socket on the nuts

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
My side steps never came with the tool so I had to buy one for 18 bucks from the dealer. For me the rivnuts went into the inner frame rail and there was no way to get a wrench or anything inside the frame. The rivnut tool collapses the nut tightly on the inside of the frame so the side steps are held firmly when you attach them with the bolts.

·
Registered
611 Posts
You can make a Riv Nut install tool pretty easy. 2 nuts a bolt and a wrench. Google it. I have bought many new tools to do this and still go back to my home made one.

·
Registered
136 Posts
the tool comes in the package with the sidesteps. It's basically a bolt, washer, and nut. It comes in a little package with the instructions how to use them. Very easy to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts