DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a stop light and a ford pulls up and wants to race. so the light turns green and i drop the hammer. I won of course!
but i was wondering if this could affect the future of my engine. I would like to hear what u say.

E

·
0 Posts
Naw....the engine and trans program will monitor and manage shifts so you don't over rev it.

Of course you can't do WOT all the time as that would wear things down faster.

With the stock program on your ECM you are probably not making maximum HP available to you as the engine runs lean, even at WOT.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
WOT = FUN
Too much FUN = Long term Problems.
FUN in moderation = Great laughs, Great stories, Long and Prosperous Life. :smileup:

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
WOT = FUN
Too much FUN = Long term Problems.
FUN in moderation = Great laughs, Great stories, Long and Prosperous Life. :smileup:
What he said! Got to have fun once in a while!:smileup:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Naw....the engine and trans program will monitor and manage shifts so you don't over rev it.

Of course you can't do WOT all the time as that would wear things down faster.

With the stock program on your ECM you are probably not making maximum HP available to you as the engine runs lean, even at WOT.
Running slightly leaner is worse for the motor but generates more hp. At least thats how it works on cars so I'd assume its the same

·
Administrator
2008 RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Magnum V6 PS2
53,794 Posts
haha i slowed down and the guy in the ford didnt even look in my direction.
There are probably many reasons why he didn't lol, but nice kill man!
:smileup:

- Cajun

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
haha i slowed down and the guy in the ford didnt even look in my direction.
Then to hide his embarrassment, he told his buddies about the souped up sleeper Dodge truck he encountered, and gave lip service about all the mods (he'll never) do to his truck to blow that sleeper off the road. :hah:

Good Kill! Have some FUN, but keep it in moderation. :smileup:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Don't worry about it.. After 100 miles I have driven all my 45+ cars that I bought like I stole them. I have never had issues and most of the time mine have ran better than others who have had the same vehicle (in car clubs, etc)

Most vehicles are too rich from the factory, so this going "lean" talk I think is bogus. There are set parameters set in the computer that sets things like your air / fuel, timing etc in a safe level.

Lots of the cars I've also owned and had a few dyno tunes on have been in the high 11-high 10's AFR which is fat.. lean them down to mid 12 to high 13's and they pick up nice gains and are completely safe. Start going beyond low to mid 14's in a naturally aspirated application then you're running less than ideal. Granted, don't start doing something like tuning if you know nothing about it.. :)

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Nice kill. Don't stop having fun.

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
Have fun with the skinny pedal, WOT is great every so often as it really cleans out the system. The 3rd gen 5.7L Hemis have an issue with running lean at WOT, it's been around for a while. The new eagle 5.7Ls flow better so they had to change the fuel map on them and it's fine in the 4th gens. I've had to add fuel to my WOT with the pred to stop this, and it'll only get worse with the 6.1L intake.

ha beat me by a few seconds
but it's still winning :LOL: Sorry, bad flash back to Fast and Furious.

·
Addicted to the Z
15,440 Posts
Agree that WOT will certainly clean things out and the onboard systems (ECM) will prevent any damage. That being said is anyone noticing a lag in response when demanding more power aka push down that pedal ???? I realize that the pedal is a digital connection (I.E. no cables) and that some lag is to be expected however I've noticed on the highway when attempting to pass a noticable delay (like a couple of seconds). Not all the time however just under certain circumstances that I can't pin down ...... :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
112 Posts
What is it with these Ford drivers... A co-worker (2011 ford owner) wanted to race my 2010 RAM... he mysteriously backed out before it happened???

1 - 20 of 30 Posts