DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a 2018 RAM 2500 CTD Laramie in January of 2019 and use it to tow our 7500 lb travel trailer. The first two seasons we were very happy with the truck, unfortunately the same can't be said about this year. The Truck has about 18,000 miles on it of which 9,500 miles while towing. Its also been well maintained, nothing has been neglected and it is still under warranty. My trailer weighs 7500 lbs loaded and my tongue weight is 950 lbs, so the truck is NOT over loaded.

We've had some sort an issue with the truck on every single towing trip taken this year and we've about had it.

On our first trip to Virginia while sight seeing, we started getting all sorts of crazy warning lights and bells going off. So we took it to the local RAM dealer and they took us right in. They said that they needed to reprogram the computer in the truck. They did it and we haven't this issue since.

Then on the next trip while heading home to Long Island on I95 (heading south) in the Bronx my "service 4WD" light came on and we heard a grinding noise. This is about the worst section of I95, the pavement is very rough and is basically a collection of pot hole repairs, with no shoulder or place to pull over. Since we were in heavy bumper to bumper traffic, we crossed our fingers and kept going. The grinding noise stopped after a few minutes and truck seemed fine. I took the truck to the dealer and they said that me 4WD servo motor needed to be replaced. They had the truck for a few days. We also experienced the starting issues a few times on this trip.

On the next trip to the Berkshires the check "anti lock" brakes light came on and stayed on the whole trip. We called the local dealers and none could see us for a week or so. When we got home the local dealer had to replace the Anti-Lock Brake controller.

Then while coming home from our last trip to New Hampshire, the "Service 4WD" came on again! Oddly enough we were headed south on I95 in Bronx at almost the exact same place where it came on the first time! Unfortunately, the day after we returned home I had knee replacement surgery and I have not had time to take it back to the dealer. So I don't know exactly what the issue is, but I suspect that the new 4WD servo motor went bad.

After experiencing these issues while towing I started to search the web and I've found that this is not an uncommon issue with multi year RAM 2500/3500 CTDs. So I've read of other people having this issue, but I don't know if anyone has a solution. Unfortunately, I can not avoid towing on these rough roads, so I need a solution. My feeling is that truck can't take the pounding and the combined weight of the 6.7 diesel engine and the trailer even though I'm well within the published specs.

So can this issue be fixed or do I need to sell it and buy a GM or Ford?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Is it the original battery? If so have the battery's load tested. Low voltage or a weak battery can cause crazy things. If the 4wd light is back again contact that dealer and tell them its back. My guess is there is something else going on there. Mine comes on when I go into 4wd (mine is a manually shifter handle type) ABS well those controller just dont go bad all that often from what I'm familiar with. Unless you have an unlimited stack of cash I would probably stay with what I have. I say this because used trucks are going for what new ones did a couple years back, and if you go used you could end up with something with more troubles you know nothing about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, both batteries are original. I will have the batteries load tested....good advice. I also don't use the truck a lot, which could play into this. I'm looking into installing a trickle charger, so I can keep the batteries fully charged.

Someone I know suggested that I check the fuses to make sure that they were seated properly. So yesterday, I went outside and popped the hood to check. I was VERY surprised that to find that many (most) of the larger squarish 20 and 30 amp fuses were not seated all the way in. I guess this would explain why rough roads play in to my issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts