DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure it it's a problem but I noticed that when it's very cold, been in the -20 Celsius her for the past week. Truck won't shift into overdrive as easily. It's fully warmed up but the RPM's are at 2000+. I have to let off and then it will drop down. Only did this during the very cold, was -29 when I noticed it.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
I haven't had this issue with my 11 Ram but my old 99 Dakota wouldn't shift into OD once it hit about -25C. The dodge boys told me that on the Dak it was a common issue. Wonder if the same applies to the Rams. Then again if it was going to do it on mine it should have this morning as it was -32C!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will shift, just takes a little longer for the rpm's to drop.
If I use the shifter, it says 5 on the indicator but my RPMs are still over 2000 at 100km, instead of dropping down to about 1600 or 1700.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yep, I've had this happen. I believe it's the transmission temp and not the engine temp. I think I read on this site something about this being built into the computer program about shifts in relation to transmission temp.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
The torque converter clutch sometimes won't engage depending on transmission temperature. They program it this way because the clutch not engaged generates heat to help warm the trans.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hey Rocco,
Yes I think it is the trans temp is not warmed up enough. It takes lots of driving during this cold weather before the Trans warms up. Mine does it too, and I have to be driving like almost 1 hour on the highway before it starts keeping the RMPS low.

Have you noticed an increase in gas too. Mine won't go below average 16 liters per 100kms with this cold weather...

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
The torque converter clutch sometimes won't engage depending on transmission temperature. They program it this way because the clutch not engaged generates heat to help warm the trans.
This perfectly explains my observations of my transmission in this cold weather. I think Sean has this nailed. :smileup:

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Yes, I believe on the RFE transmissions you have to have both trans sump temp > 55°F and engine coolant temp > 120°F, in order to enable TCC engagement. And yes, the reason is to hasten trans warmup. A warm trans is more efficient than a cold one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts