DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought new tires and rims on the weekend and on my way back to work at noon I stopped (for a full 8 sec.) to wait for oncoming traffic to clear so I could turn left and the young man behind me didn't even brake. I wonder if I should get an aftermarket bumper?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I know the feeling, someone just dented my front bumper. Three years of careful parking and in the most inconveinent spots and bam! I have four and sometimes five dogs worht of scratches that I recently spent around 80 hrs of #2000 wet sanding, mcguires compounding, swirl remover, preglazing, waxing and fine tuning with microfiber to the square inch. It looks like the best paint finish around...get complements and looks every time and everywhere I go about how beautiful the finish or color is. Now I have a big dent the size of a baseball and it sticks out like a sore thumb. One of my dogs use to perch up on my hood...got pics of her scratches on here somewhere. Don't know what to do now, like you I'm thinking of some way to beef up my bumpers now. Mine are chrome though, I can't cowboy up an aftermarket bumper. I have a spare painted bumper that I may try to reinforce on the inside but not sure if it will work or if I can get it chromed after...got to have chromed. Good luck with urs...hope u work it out.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got the estimate. Just over $2000 in repairs. It looks like the OEM bumper with the exhaust cut-outs is almost the same price as the standard bumper so I may go that route and install a cat-back exhaust.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That's one area I think Dodge skimps on...I hold in my hand a Mt. Dew can and I think it is more structurally sound that the bumpers...especially the rear. Same thing on my previous Dakota.

I will say, my 99 Ram had a beefy rear bumper. Got rear ended, her car had to be towed, mine was merely scratched. Not even a dent to be found.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think I can complain because the SUV didn't even brake prior to impact. He was going about 20km/h when he hit and other than a very small crease in the rear quarter the bumper (and my back) absorbed most of the impact. The insurance adjuster will be looking at it today and then I can get it into the shop for repairs. I've decided to switch the bumper to the factory one with exhaust cut-outs and have them instal the Magnaflow cat-back at the same time. My new rims and tires show up next week so it will be almost like having a new truck. LOL.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts