DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested to see where everyones temp gauge usually sits at on a hot day. It hit 100 degrees today here in Augusta with a even higher heat index and here is where my temp gauge went up to. Is this regular temperature for these trucks in the sumertime or is mines a little hot?
:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks a bit hot to me. Have you backflushed your cooling system lately?
No, I haven't back flushed it. I have only had this truck for about 4 months. Is it recommended to change it every so often? I have noticed that my coolant level has been going down by about a quarter of a gallon every month. :SHOCKED:

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
You should definately have it flushed if you don't have proof that it was done within the last year or so. What you've described so far is symptomatic of a radiator that's starting to get clogged up but it could be something as simple as the radiator cap going bad.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1/4 gallon? Do you see any dripping out? If not, have you checked your oil lately to see if you have coolant in your oil?
Yes it is some signs of coolant leaking on one of the lower hoses going to the radiator. Can't find a source of the leak though.

You should definately have it flushed if you don't have proof that it was done within the last year or so. What you've described so far is symptomatic of a radiator that's starting to get clogged up but it could be something as simple as the radiator cap going bad.
So could a clogged up radiator or bad cap cause a small leak? I may flush it this weekend if that is the problem.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
A bad cap could allow coolant to escape. Old or coolant types being mixed can definately cause the radiator to clog. You can flush it yourself but it would be better to have it backflushed.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Yeah, that seems a bit hot for me too. Even if you're sitting in traffic. Get your cooling system done. You can spend $100 - $160 now or you can spend $500+ later.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Ya my cooling system sits just before the center line all the time!! get it flushed out and get that leak attended too :smileup:

·
Registered
852 Posts
Funny how so many people neglect the fluids on their vehicles. I'm a bit obsessive compulsive and a perfectionist so I always check my fluids regularly. With regular maintenace you can avoid the unexpected trip to the service shop.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok. Is it ok if I troubleshoot in this thread in general discussion, or should I start a new thread in a different section? It was 75 degrees today on the way to work. Checked out the truck when I got to work and no signs of leaking coolant anywhere. The temp gauge also didn't go above the halfway mark. Drive to work is about 30 miles. I will get outside this evening when I get home to check again. In the past 5 years, I have been able to fix everything on my vehicles all the way up to changing out some transmissions, so I'll be fixing whatever this problem is myself.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok. Checked the truck out today when I got home from work. This is what I found.

These pictures are laying on my back under the truck looking up torwards the grill. Can a radiator leak out the side like that? That is the only place where the leak seems to be coming from. I checked the hoses and all the coolant on them is where it dripped down from the metal on the side of the radiator.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
A radiator can leak from anywhere. If there's a question about the source, have the system pressure tested.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That looks high to me. We've had a few 90 degree days with heat index into the 100 and my needle stays just below half.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, So I just left the parts store. I bought a new radiator. I can already see where the leak is coming from just by looking at this one. Why would they make it where metal and plastic meet with each other???? :Wow1:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts