DODGE RAM FORUM banner

its time for a CAI...which one?

1946 20
OK so its time to buy my CAI and my main threat is the volant. Do any others compare to it for the price? What others are just as good or should I stick to my stock box modified??
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's the real advatsge with gears? Better acceleration?

Yes Sean just my stock one until you Fab one for me :)

· Registered
3,568 Posts
vararam made a new the air graber, some are trying it right now

im running k&n, love the new sound it makes,. :) also the more responsive throttle

· Registered
13,692 Posts
Yes Sean just my stock one until you Fab one for me :)
Mine first, yours second....sorry but I'm slightly selfish when it comes to my truck.

I don't think the vararam fits the 3rd gen but I'm not positive. I would pick a closed box intake myself, or stick with stock and a drop in and modify it somehow.

· Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm I'm leaning towards the volant, nothing but good reviews

Veraram I've heard bad

What do the gears do??

· Registered
2020 Ram Sport, night edition
1,479 Posts
What have you heard bad about Vararam?? I'm trying to decide between that and Volant now that it's tax return time.
I cannot comment on the vararam but on the volant for 4th gen I can and it is ALL bad the fit just sucks for a 400 dollar plus part the response to my several emails was ZERO... no reply whatsoever! If you want a volant I'd sell you mine and buy the vararam in a heartbeat

· Registered
165 Posts
I'm ready to pull the trigger also, I've installed a CAI on my previous 2 hemis and I'm well aware of the benefits that the RAM will recieve.
Based on the reviews of so many others (especially you CRASH) I will NOT buy the Volant. I'm not paying that kind of cash for a part with a design flaw.

The Vararam seems like it has great functionality, I'm just not ready to stick that thing on there.

I'm considering waiting for the S&B Filters CAI system to be released. I like the enclosed design, and it appears to be a high quality piece of equipment at a reasonable price. Other than they get released on 3-15-12, Does anyone have any feedback on these?

· Registered
889 Posts
speaking on behalf of the third gens, I put a Volant on mine and won't turn back. the fit is a little off for the box yes, but once everything is tightened down it doesn't move at all.. the benefits of it are more than evident. I coupled it with my Flowmaster exhaust (both were installed same day) and I couldn't be happier with the increase from these two mods. so for a third gen, though i might be slightly biased, i did take the time to pour through all the threads about CAI's and for the third gen it seems the Volant is the best to do. i even put a write up of the install, it's easy as can be (besides a drop in of course they are the easiest)

· Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys really. All this feedback is great to hear. I'm still on the volant, its enclosed it looms great and my friend loves his.

Tim- OK sweet gears Will be in the future I'm sure ill post a thread for help haha thanks again!

· Registered
81 Posts
I just installed the Volant in my 2011 and it was definitely a trying experience. The instructions were not the greatest especially for someone like me who has no experience with mods. Thanks to Brad12kx and his thread which helped out a lot!!!
http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=93848&highlight=volant+install

I did have some trouble getting the Volant to fit at first but now that it's in place, it's not going anywhere. Mine actually fits pretty well once I got it under the AC pipe. I just hope I never have to remove it now. =)

After the install, I started my baby up and noobie me was expecting to hear a difference. It wasn't until I got on the road and let it open and man does it sound so much better. So take your time (and a few beers) with the install and I guarantee you will be happy.

Like I said, I am a noobie here so I have no basis for comparison with other CAIs. I just like the look and the massive PowerCore filter of the Volant. I could have sat on the boards all day going back and forth, like I am currently doing for other mods :(, so I just pulled the trigger on the Volant. And I got my Volant for under $300 with free shipping/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.