DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at some sort of chip for my truck. I was looking into the jet stage 2 until i seen the small print of them wanting u to put a 180 t stat in it and burn 91 octane fuel! delma i live in sd and i think it wouldnt get warm enough to create warm air in the cold winters and i already hate filling up a 30+ gallon fuel tank lil lone with the spendy stuff. i also looked at the stage 1 that still wants u to burn mid grade fuel 89 octane and up and most gas stations have 88 octane for mid grade around where i live.

:4-dontknow:??

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
The 180 tstat shouldn't cause any problems, it would only help. I would not get a "chip" though, they are basically just a device that tricks some sensors. If you want real, safe performance that is reliable get a tuner, like superchips, diablosport, or SCT. They are the big three that are known and trusted, there are some others that are pretty good but I don't have experience with them and I've heard they're not as good. The aren't even that expensive either...

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
chips are old technology as snrusnak has stated. most go with diablosport predator tuner, superchips tuner, or the bully dog tuner.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I use the Super chip Cortex on my '06 cummins and love it! By the way, welcome to the board.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not sure what the mds is but yes its a auto, also i was looking at the diablo sport tuner and was wondering if they make a in dash type module where a guy doesnt have to plug into the truck everytime to change tunes instead theres a constant interface instead of having to chase after ur hand held everytime u wanna switch stuff around?

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
MDS is the 4 cylinder mode thing and now that I think about it I don't think it matters if you have it or not, it works either way...

Superchips and diablosport both have a touch screen tuner (kind of looks like a gps unit) that you can mount on your dash and leave there. It is a bit more "refined" and may be what you're looking for. Price about doubles though, and there's no real tuning benefits. Diablo's is called the trinity, and SC's is called something I can't remember right now lol, but SC's also is capable of using android.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no i dont have msd then and ill pass on paying double but do u by chance know when a guy is suppose to change plugs on this thought my old man said 100k miles but i doubt that?

thnx sean

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I know with my 4.7L the top 8 plugs are around 50k miles (copper plugs) and the bottom 8 are around 100k miles (iridium plugs). There are 2 plugs per cylinder. Your engine also has 2 plugs per cylinder, but not sure if the materials and intervals are the same, but assume it's similar. Your manual will shed light on that...

·
Registered
125 Posts
30,000 miles with copper plugs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts