DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 85 Ram that I have successfully swapped the tranny on once.
Recently the tranny oil cooler went bad giving me the dreaded 'strawberry milkshake' in the transmission. When I swapped it the first time, the donor tranny was from an 86 truck. This time I have found a transmission that has electronic overdrive. This did not come standard on my truck. All the bolt hole seem to line up and the donor is the same size. So, I guess my question is, will it work ?
Any help appreciated

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I have an 85 Ram that I have successfully swapped the tranny on once.
Recently the tranny oil cooler went bad giving me the dreaded 'strawberry milkshake' in the transmission. When I swapped it the first time, the donor tranny was from an 86 truck. This time I have found a transmission that has electronic overdrive. This did not come standard on my truck. All the bolt hole seem to line up and the donor is the same size. So, I guess my question is, will it work ?
Any help appreciated
if you need the OD to work you can just wire a switch in the dash to enable and disable. somewhere on the internet is a little instructional with pictures to do this.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Depends. It will work if from a truck '95 or earlier. 1996 and later will bolt up, but need a computer controller. If a pre '96, all your linkage will bolt up. You will need a shorter driveshaft and at minimum, an simple on/off switch for the OD.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts