DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ram 1500 v8 5.2L. 318 motor
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I recently just bought my truck in I'm doing some maintenance on it there is no gasket on the intake manifold valve covers and the exhaust manifold.I replaced all them. I did a deep clean on the whole engine bay replace the water pump.please help and give me tips

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
X2! using a peirod at the end of a sentence helps also. And don't reply saying this is not a English class! If people can't understand you don't expect an answer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok auto correct fucked it up a little. First of all don't be a dick about it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Clean the carbon buildup in the intake. My 1988 Ramcharger had its of buildup and needed a Dremmel to carve it out. I also built a shield over the distributor cap as it seemed to run rough after a heavy rain. It solved the issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did I clean 1/8 inch of carbon and oil. That's what I ment by deep cleaned the engine. My buddy took off the distrubiter to clean off build up but I don't think he set the timing on 0

·
Registered
2008 Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition-Original owner
10 Posts
Ok auto correct fucked it up a little. First of all don't be a dick about it
A little? Auto correct now puts in periods, commas, and other punctuation marks now. Maybe I should go to Android. #Justsayin

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I recently just bought my truck in I'm doing some maintenance on it there is no gasket on the intake manifold valve covers and the exhaust manifold.I replaced all them. I did a deep clean on the whole engine bay replace the water pump.please help and give me tips View attachment 133702
Wow, congratulations on the new truck. I hope you enjoy it! How did it run without those gaskets?
If it didn't run like it had all sorts of vacuum leaks then there must be no warpage at all for the surfaces to match that well. Make sure you put the distributor in right, the computer will take care of the timing as long as you don't get it back with the gears not in the original spot. As a general rule you can never hurt an engine by having it too clean inside, The 318 is a reliable engine when serviced regularly, but since you have it taken apart that much, why not check the timing chain? That is about the only spot that needs to be watched on that engine. If it has the timing gear that isn't metal this might be the time to put metal gears and a new timing chain in.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
So you joined just to piss n moan and make unfounded accusations about race????? What a fine person you are.

You accuse airforce26ys of being racist right off of the bat - all that does is tell me that deep down you are racist yourself and have some self hatred of yourself for feeling that way.
Maybe you should ponder that thought.

FYI, this forum is worldwide and we have no clue where a poster is located at OR if they are using a translator from their native language to english. If the question is not coherent, how is it possible to give a coherent answer??
Maybe think before getting your panties in a bunch and accusing others of being things of which you yourself may be.

I am done on this and I apologize to other posters and admin - let's just say I am pretty tired of the racist card being dropped every 2 seconds.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
To the OP, replace your intake gasket - not the intake to heads gasket - the belly pan to intake manifold gasket - ie. the steel plate on the bottom of the intake manifold. Also when you go to do that, make sure the bolt holes are deep enough, thread in each bolt into each hole (without a pan or gasket) and see if the bolt bottoms out before going in the whole way.
That gasket fails and can be a huge source for oil consumption, a miss, a vac. leak, cause preignition.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow thank all of your response. It ran but not like it should. I have ocd about my vehicle so I always got an extra mile when maintaining them I replace the exhaust manifold gaskets cleaned everything replace it plenum gasket did it intake manifold gasket cleaned the intake manifold inside and out clean the plenum plate replaced the spark plugs wires clean the distribution cap

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To the OP, replace your intake gasket - not the intake to heads gasket - the belly pan to intake manifold gasket - ie. the steel plate on the bottom of the intake manifold. Also when you go to do that, make sure the bolt holes are deep enough, thread in each bolt into each hole (without a pan or gasket) and see if the bolt bottoms out before going in the whole way.
That gasket fails and can be a huge source for oil consumption, a miss, a vac. leak, cause preignition.
Thank you any other tips you can offer I posted a update on what I have done

1 - 20 of 25 Posts