DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ram 1500 v8 5.2L. 318 motor
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Nope, not a racist. Maybe an asshole but not racist. All I was saying was that I could not understand what you were asking.
Ok now after I fixed my spelling I posted a updated of all I have done any tips wpuls be appreciate it

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
The plugs look old but the gap doesn't look too bad.

I personally on run Mopar cap and rotor only, IMO it just works the best and never any moisture issues.
I also preferred Summit 8mm spark plug wire set - great set, good price, excellent bang for the buck.
IF yours doesn't ping at all, using Jeep 4.0L copper spark plugs (I use NGK or Champ) will give you a bit more power, esp. on the low end - but if yours pings normally, it might make it worse. Mix all of that with a MSD 6a firing an 80's style oil filled coil and it gives a good bulletproof ignition system. The stock coil and high perf. replacement coils just failed to much for my taste. But just using the stock coil without the MSD would work good too.

Was it really sludged up under the intake manifold???

·
Registered
2001 ram 1500 v8 5.2L. 318 motor
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The plugs look old but the gap doesn't look too bad.

I personally on run Mopar cap and rotor only, IMO it just works the best and never any moisture issues.
I also preferred Summit 8mm spark plug wire set - great set, good price, excellent bang for the buck.
IF yours doesn't ping at all, using Jeep 4.0L copper spark plugs (I use NGK or Champ) will give you a bit more power, esp. on the low end - but if yours pings normally, it might make it worse. Mix all of that with a MSD 6a firing an 80's style oil filled coil and it gives a good bulletproof ignition system. The stock coil and high perf. replacement coils just failed to much for my taste. But just using the stock coil without the MSD would work good too.

Was it really sludged up under the intake manifold???
It wasn't too bad under the plenum plate. But inside the intake was nasty and throttle body had about 1/8 inch of carbon don't know how the even opened

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
That's a sign of a long time leaking plenum gasket.

I asked about under the intake/above the cam because if it was bad, I was going to say if it was sludged bad, then you might want to remove the oil pan and clean that and the oil pickup - as they can sludge shut.

Replacing one quart of oil with a quart of rislone for the next several oil changes wouldn't be a bad idea - that stuff is great stuff and will give the motor a slow gentle interior cleaning.
I would not use any motor flush or fast acting stuff though, you don't want to plug the oil pickup tube.

If you haven't put it together yet, changing out the timing chain or checking it may not be a bad idea.
If it is the stock all metal gears with just some chain slop, you can either a. replace the chain or b. add a V6 chain tensioner (I would do either b only or a and b.) the stock timing chain setup is a decent setup if it is the all steel setup.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts