DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm really new to Dodge Ram's. I just bought a 2000 4X4 RAM 1500 with 80k miles on it. Bringing it back home right after buying it I saw a problem with tranny as follow : When climbing a long and big hill, It downshifts of one speed and it sounds good (beside that the RPM drops or go up of 200 RPM continuing to climb). If I depress the accelerator a bit more the second downshift comes and a second after it goes in neutral!!! I must drop the pedal and it comes back ok but the same thing happens if I do the same procedure I described. It does that only climbing up a big hill if it's a smaller hill and I push it to downshift to 1st it's ok. I suppose that if I was towing a heavy trailer it would be awful.
I did'nt call back the previous owner cause I came back late but I intend to do it right in the morning tomorrow.
I'm afraid the tranny will get worst soon. Any idea on my problem?
I read another recent post from a guy having a problem like this but it looks much worst so I prefered asking separatly.
Any help appreciated :i_rolleyes:

·
Banned
7,846 Posts
I'm not that good with transmissions. However, there are a few here on the site with extensive knowledge. It may take longer than expected but they should chime in.

If you have the time to patient I'm sure someone will give you some feedback, I just didn't want you to become discouraged or feel ignored. Sorry I couldn't offer more advise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not that good with transmissions. However, there are a few here on the site with extensive knowledge. It may take longer than expected but they should chime in.

If you have the time to patient I'm sure someone will give you some feedback, I just didn't want you to become discouraged or feel ignored. Sorry I couldn't offer more advise.
Thank's a lot. I alreday took an appointment at the Dodge dealer this afternoon to have written expertise as a proof for the previous owner.
I just spoke with a mechanic teacher and he told me the tranny will have to be replaced. I bought the truck only to use around 1000 miles a year and to haul 5000 pounds occasionnaly and he told me that it won't be able to do it with that tranny.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to make a follow up, I went to the dealer today and their mechanic checked mt truck. No codes in the computer, they said that sometimes even if there is a problem in the tranny no codes appear. thay checked the oil texture (ok), they said that the tranny does'nt slip at all. He tried my Ram and beaten it a bit to see what it was able to give and to see the symptome. It did it right at the beginning of the road test but only once. They assured me that the tranny is ok but maybe the kickdown cable has to be adjusted. The mechanic very honnest admitted that he did'nt know these truck's as well as their expert who was sick and that I've been able to call to described everything well and he said the same thing. adjustment of the kickdown cable. I'll return in a week to have it done well and I hope it will be ok.;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.