DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm new to this forum. I bought my 2012 ram 1500 st , 5.7 L hemi with 122,000 kms on it. Today I was driving on the highway and looked and realized my truck was in 4th gear. I realized something was wrong and went home and parked it. I researched all day today and now know that it's in limp mode. The code I got when I turned the key three times was the P07590 code. So it probably is the transmission shift solenoid? I don't know where to start. I'm very short on money right now so I need the cheapest fix. I'm willing to try and change the solenoid if need be. I'm pretty confident I could change it myself with some instruction. I'm good at following YouTube videos to do things lol. How many people have gotten this problem and fixed it? I've read that it could be around 700$ to fix in a shop or more. I've seen rebuilt solenoids on eBay for around 120$. It may not even be the solenoid though so I really don't want to waste money. Should I get it scanned at a garage first? Please help! :( I've just got my license back after 3 years and planning to start a roofing company next month and now I've lost the use of my truck..

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hopefully this was the first time this happened. I bought my last truck (05 Dakota) and had the same issue shortly after buying it. The reason I say hopefully this was the first time is because in my situation the previous owner had just been clearing the code and driving it before trading it in. After spending about $1,100 trying to fix it the final diagnosis was a new transmission. I would bite the bullet and take it to a shop. With transmission issues it could get expensive quickly by just guessing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't know if I should call other garages or just bring it to the ram dealer I bought it from. I have no warranty for the truck which really sucks :/ The truck drove great up until today when this first happened. Now it's stuck in fourth and when I unplug the battery to reset the code it goes right back into limp mode when I start it . I think I'm going to drive the truck out of my underground parking and getting AMA to tow it to somewhere to get checked, but I don't know where I should bring it to.. I'm afraid the garages will tell
Me to get work done that I don't need. But I guess that may happen if I try to change the solenoid myself as a starting base. If I bring it
To somewhere can they do a better scan to figure out what happened and what exactly is wrong with it?

·
Registered
747 Posts
I would think if you've had it that long with no issues from the tranny yet it is probably the solenoid. Although you don't have a warranty I believe it would still be worth your time to call the place you got it and talk to your salesman. Maybe ask some questions about the previous owner, or their review procedure before the sale. Then when he asks you what the problem is start in with "I know it's not your problem but...". With that approach you'll keep him from getting defensive while getting the info you want and maybe even some help.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I wouldn't take it to a mom and pop type garage. They typically don't have the funds to get all the top notch diagnosis equipment or pay the best tech's. I would go to a Ram dealer or back the the dealer you bought it from assuming it's a dealership that sells one of the big three (Ford, GM or Chrysler)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've seen posts on here by transengineer about checking wiring first before getting the solenoid. I'm not to familiar with checking resistances with multimeters but I have someone bringing me a meter tomorrow. Maybe I can figure out how to check it before I call
Dealerships on Monday to figure out what I'm doing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts