DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today, after helping a buddy of mine change the spark plugs in his 03 ram I was looking around under the PW. I noticed 2 things. First, the muffler is huge. It seems like it is the size of my torso. Anyway...
Second, there seems to be a mini muffler back from the muffler itself. Can any one tell me what it is? I have never seen that before and am curious. If anyone knows, please fill me in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
That's a resonator muffler. Basically lessens the "growl"(noise). Something I'll be getting rid of when it's time for a new exhaust.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could I take that off and just add in a piece of pipe? I can't imagine it makes ton of more noise taking it off, but I was wondering? Eventually I am going to put a new exhaust system on the truck, but would getting rid of that resonator muffler hinder any performance?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've read that some owners are leaving the resonator on and taking the muffler out. Basically straight pipe from the catalytic converter to the resonator.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've read that some owners are leaving the resonator on and taking the muffler out. Basically straight pipe from the catalytic converter to the resonator.
What would the pros/cons be to doing this? I know with a performance exhaust you are gaining. Plus, how loud would that be? I had a borla on my 2010 1500 and it was not loud in the cabin when cruising. I don't want it to be too loud all the time. But it could be fun for a while before I pull the trigger on a new system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts