DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple coworkers have some horses and their access to a tractor to move around the big round bales has gone away. They're looking for an alternative to muscling these things around.

I ran across this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj4iHTusFVY

The bales my friends have are about 1200 lbs each. Is the receiver strong enough to haul that around?????

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
^the regular "plate" that is class IV (or is it III....don't remember....?) has 500 lb tongue weight capacity. The bigger class IV (or is it V.....? again don't remember...) has 1,0000 lb tongue weight

I'd say if you have the 1,000 lb tongue weight bigger hitch you'd be ok.

·
Registered
487 Posts
A class iv has a max tongue weight of 1000 lbs which would be too light since in this situation the receiver is taking the full weight of the load. A class v with it's 1200 lb rating is barely sufficient even if the weight of the bale was directly over the end of the receiver - which it's not. It's a neat idea but I'd stay away from it as I don't think the factory receivers are more than a class iv.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
That bale is maybe a 500 pounder
I would bet that they even have air bags under the bed

·
Registered
698 Posts
Man, these round hay bales can be all over the place in weight...as low as 600 pounds and as high as 2000 pounds...generally. The type of vegetation being baled, its moisture content, quality of the baler, size of the bale. etc, all come together to make the weight. A 1200 pound bale isn't unusual. I'm looking out the window right now at some 800-1000 pound round bales on my place that are about 6' tall in diameter. There are some different variants of these bale toters like the one shown in the vid. Most people around my area make their own baler toters with oil field pipe and welding. Some work off the receiver hitch and some work off the gooseneck or 5th wheel location. If you're working solely off the receiver hitch, you have to have at least a class 4 level version. Even then, people don't haul these things very far or at any highway speed to speak of, but like farmers everywhere, they often overload everything they own...LOL!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. :)

yeah....I was wondering about it. I think what they'll end up doing is getting some sort of trailer/spike/winch thing. (i know....technical terms. :D )

They run a 4H thing here and I was trying to help out. I wish my welding skills were better. :)

thanks again! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts