DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
I am a newbie, but have been lurking for the last few weeks since I bought my (new to me) 2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4... Thank you to everyone on this great forum.. Without your great posts and information, I wouldn't have known where to start! I carefully chose components after reading countless posts. I did the work myself. Here is how it turned out:

Bilstein 5100's at 2.8", Mevotech Upper Control arms, 35x12.5x20 Atturo Trail Blade XT Tires, Dick Cepek DC-2 Wheels 20x9, -13 offset. I have absolutely no rubbing with the setup! I was a little worried with the -13 offset wheels, but no trimming required. So far I love the Atturos also.. They only have a very quiet hum, but the lugs on the shoulder look aggressive. The Mevotech UCA's are very well built, I can't believe they were less than $50 a piece! They are a huge improvement over stock on the newer Rams, and easy to install when you are putting in the Bilsteins.

Before and After:

Attachments

·
Registered
490 Posts
Nice clean looking truck. Where did you get them bilsteins from?

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
JOB WELL DONE :smileup:

Its nice to see posts where someone takes the time to mention
just how valuable this site is and then share the results :cool:

Welcome to the forum and the Ram Family Mtn.Mopar and it's always Great to see another Zonnie :wave:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice clean looking truck. Where did you get them bilsteins from?
Thanks! I actually got everything from Amazon, including the UCA's and wheels and tires...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
looks good but just a heads up, looks like your lower spring seats were installed upside down.

same thing in this threadhttp://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=145333
Ugh... In looking at the post you provided, you may be right! Well, I guess I get my hands dirty again! At least I know my way around under there now, it should go fairly quick... A trip back to the alignment shop again though. I am glad I posted these pics before I put any miles on em'. Everything rides nice, no vibration in 4x4, and it aligned fine. I never would have guessed. Live and learn I guess

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
looks good but just a heads up, looks like your lower spring seats were installed upside down.

same thing in this threadhttp://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=145333
Nitro, you were absolutely right!! Thank you for your good eye! I took care of it today, and the alignment shop is going to put it on the rack again for free...Maybe they felt bad for me! :4-dontknow:

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Truck looks great. I've been reading some very positive reviews on those tires lately.
Thank you! The tire shop was actually really interested in them. I had tried a few places and was told there was a nationwide backorder until the end of August. Checked Amazon, and they had 3 sets! I will keep everyone updated on how they perform and hold up.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
:smileup::smileup::smileup:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Looks great Mtn! Do you happen to know what the mounted dimensions of the XT's is? You're the first person I've seen with them. Interested to hear how they perform. I can't wait to get my level and tires!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Looks great Mtn! Do you happen to know what the mounted dimensions of the XT's is? You're the first person I've seen with them. Interested to hear how they perform. I can't wait to get my level and tires!
Thanks Brandon! I do not have any official dimensions... Doing a very "unofficial" measurement with them on the truck, (with the weight of the truck on them) I am getting just over 34 tall and about 12+ across the tread including the sidewall lugs. I would imagine with that height it is close to a true 35, but a little narrower than the claimed 12.5. The truck raised up well over an inch after adding them (Over the factory tires, which are supposed to be 33"). That would also point to being close to a true 35. So far I am not disappointed. I only have a few miles on them, but have had several people ask me about them and compliment them. For the price, I got the tires and wheels TOGETHER for the price of a set of Toyos or Nittos... Figure if they wear out completely in 20k, I am still ahead!

Good luck with your level and tires!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Awesome thanks! Your truck looks great though.

·
Registered
180 Posts
thats such a badass set up you have there that made me go for the leveled look as well pulled the trigger bought the shocks tuesday had them installed today absolutely love the look of it being leveled now my 33s look small on the truck lol so far i swapped out the tires the headlights and bulbs added the canopy not sure whats next maybe some new rims any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That level looks great...love the headlights too! :smileup: What brand are they? I personally really wanted the 35/12.5/20's, and the idea of wheel spacers made me a little nervous, so I sprung for the wheels. $ can be tight, so it wasn't an easy decision, but there were great prices on Amazon. Now that I did it, I am so happy I did. The wheel and tire combo has garnered more attention around town than I ever would have expected!

·
Registered
180 Posts
yeah no doubt awesome tire an wheel combo where i live i have underground parking and just with this level my roof is damn near touching the ceiling so i wouldnt be able to put some 35s on so for now it will just have to be the wheels. My headlights came from a shop in Missouri they are TYC replica's and i also got an hid kit from the same shop so it was all plug n play check out his website( retro shop . us ) wont let me type it out for some reason, lots of things you can do with lights from his shop and if you are in the states it will be even cheaper for you for me i had the crappy canadian dollar and customs fees so it was pretty expensive to have that done but well worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mrjosh, thanks for the info on the lights, they look great! I checked that site that you provided. It looks as though they have a lot of good stuff...but they aren't cheap! I will have to start saving my pennies!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Nice post & good looking truck. Pardon my ignorance, but what is the reason for changing the upper control arms?

I'm seriously considering the Bilsteins, at 10,000 miles with a good load the truck no longer feels as stable as it did new over rough pavement at 80 mph. Not planning any wheel or tire changes until the stock tires wear out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice post & good looking truck. Pardon my ignorance, but what is the reason for changing the upper control arms?

I'm seriously considering the Bilsteins, at 10,000 miles with a good load the truck no longer feels as stable as it did new over rough pavement at 80 mph. Not planning any wheel or tire changes until the stock tires wear out.
Thank you Reefer! If you do some searching, you will find many, many posts on the Upper Control Arms. If you are going to do any kind of level (Bilstein or spacer) on a 2013 and up 1500, you will want to change the UCA's! In 2013 Ram changed the UCA from a solid cast to a thin pressed steel. The Ball joints are only pressed into about an 1/8" of metal instead of close to an inch of metal. When you level these trucks with the stock UCA, the ball joints will most likely "pop" within a short amount of time. Some have even had them pop out as soon as they lower the truck after install.

There are very expensive options out there, such as Zone UCA's, but most of us have found that the Mevotech UCA's are working great, and the set of 2 can be found for less than $100 (mine were $44 ea on Amazon). They are extremely stout compared to the stock, I hope that you can see the difference in the pic below (the Mevotech is on the left). The other benefit is that the Mevotechs have zerk fittings and are greasable. I decided not to chance anything and made the swap when I did the Bilsteins (it only added about 10 minutes per side, as it is essentially 2 bolts).

Good luck with your truck. I will absolutely recommend the Bilstein route. They ride and handle amazing! :smileup:

Dive computer Diving equipment Technology Auto part Bicycle handlebar Coil spring Suspension part Auto part Suspension Gas

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.