DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
10,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I used a hat off a V6 Dakota and mounted the pipe to that. The filter sits just a few inches from the radiator support so it get good fresh air, when I am driving down the road. Took me about 45 minutes to put it together, but now I know how it goes so will be quicker next time. What do you think? To home depot? I still need to paint it yet. I am thinking either body color match or an orange. I may even paint another pipe just to be able to switch it up. Also gonna look for a 4 inch one. Not sure yet

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would stick with black or blue for painting.

As far as a heat shield I really don't think you're going to even need one. The filter has such a clean look through the grill it is going to be getting a great amount of clean air flowing through there.

I too would like to know what type of pipe your using there. I went with the ABS which has a melting point around 400 degrees. After an hour on the freeway at 65 I popped the hood and it wasn't even warm and was still solid as a rock.

·
Banned
10,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Is the pipe PVC or EMT? PVC is made to bend when heated so it might warp because of the engine heat.
I used 3 inch EMT. It came as all one peice. The guy at home depot was trying to tell me if I wanted four inch to take a torch to PVC and just bend it myself. I would rather just look around at places to see if they have my pipe in 4 inch.

Attachments

·
Banned
10,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would stick with black or blue for painting.

As far as a heat shield I really don't think you're going to even need one. The filter has such a clean look through the grill it is going to be getting a great amount of clean air flowing through there.

I too would like to know what type of pipe your using there. I went with the ABS which has a melting point around 400 degrees. After an hour on the freeway at 65 I popped the hood and it wasn't even warm and was still solid as a rock.
So I was at Home Depot again. I found a round heating duct, the kind you put together, and thought hey that would work with some heat tape stuff(I think) I have it cut now and will post pics of it tomorrow. I started painting the pipe too, color match (at least I think its close)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is that just one of the air filters from like autozone? How has it performed? How much do you think the whole thing cost? I love the homemade engineering.

·
Banned
10,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I got the air filter from Auto Zone, $25. The pipe is from Home Depot, at mine they had two different ones. One with a lip on the which will work since its cheaper at around $10 and the filter fits up to 4 inch.. The one I got was smooth all the which was $20 but they were out of the one with the lip. Also the rubber pipe connector is from Home Depot, it was around $4. The hat is off 2003 Dakota, they are also one Durangos too I think.It cost me like $20, should have taken the whole air intake for $30 and sold it. The body match paint was like $6 something.

So my total was-
Pipe - $20
Rubber connector - $4
Air hat - $20
Filter - $25
Paint - $7
Total - $76

As I stated, this can be done cheaper especially if you get the air hat cheaper, and the other pipe than what I did. I am going to by a couple and paint them up to be able to change it.

My truck is a bit louder and it seems like it gets up and goes quicker. With any intake your gonna want to have an exhaust system too.

the first pic is of the pipe I bought which is $20, and the second is the one with the end on it but will still work. $10.

Attachments

·
Banned
10,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got some pics of it painted, but it was with my old camera phone so its got a blue tint to it. I am going to wash again this afternoon hopefully. I will try and get some better pics.

Attachments

·
Banned
10,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
think this would work without the ram hat just take out the filter?
I choose the Dakota hat becasue it was round to match the rubber connector. the Ram one is oval, but I am sure you could make it work. Also with the Ram its gonna trap alot of air in it, the dakota it is smaller and force more air into the TB. Well at least that is what I think happens but anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

·
Banned
10,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Forgot to mention when you get the Hat, also take the pin going from the TB through the hat and also the nut holding it, as you need these to secure to your TB. I left the bolt a little loose in order to get the hat on. I then tightened the bolt after the hat was cleared. Theres no clearance issue its just with the bolt you have to go up and over.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts